Squad for next Season - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Delighted with that. Progressed every year he's been with us and full season under Imrie should see him hopefully get even better. Fancy him to get 10 goals next season which would make him 7th in Mortons top scorers of all time. 

Edit: 2 years. Even better. 

Edited by port-ton
  • Downvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Blues is a hard worker and seems to have a good attitude. Seems to enjoy playing for the club. I have nothing against him at all as a person. But a two-year deal is madness to me.

He has improved from when he first arrived, no question, but he's not a raw young lad anymore and it's very difficult to see him kicking on further from what he is now: an alright squad option. He can have moments of effectiveness but he can also go missing for weeks at a time.

We don't create enough and we don't score goals, and despite his improvement in the 21-22 season Blues is a major reason for that.

In Imrie we trust n'at but this seems to me more about rewarding a player's attitude and effort rather than ability.

EOho8Pw.png

While I felt we needed to leave the space in the squad for upgrades to the starting XI and the number of midfielders already signed up along with Wilson being a bigger priority for a contract meant Blues should be released, his improvement under Imrie means I'm fine having him as cover and in isolation his performances under Imrie did merit a contract for that purpose.

Handing him a two year deal though strongly suggests he's viewed as a nailed on starter - you don't hand out contracts that length to players with no resale value otherwise - which he simply should not be. If we aren't upgrading in midfield enough to have his place being the bench rather than starting then it's a worrying sign.

Edited by dunning1874

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Seems a bit ott even given he's improved on his 1st season. We desperately need a creative midfielder and someone who can break up play and can pass accurately. Unfortunately Blues doesn't really fit the bill

6 minutes ago, Hej said:

What the fuck you on about?

That we never seem to have high scoring players over the years. Wasn't expecting anyone to take it literally my apologies. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

3 minutes ago, port-ton said:

That we never seem to have high scoring players over the years. Wasn't expecting anyone to take it literally my apologies. 

Oh, I see. Excellent humour port-ton .

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hej said:

Oh, I see. Excellent humour port-ton .

Cheers bud. Still, since the Rae era until now it would be interesting to see who's our top scorer over that period using only seasons we were in the second tier. I have a scary feeling Bob Mchugh would be quite close to the top. 

32.gif

2 year deal is surprising. Happy he's signed on but we definitely need better players around him. I'm happy to trust Sir Dougie.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

13 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

2 year deal is madness. 2 year deal for Baird too if I'm not mistaken. 

Imrie has built up some trust after last season but I'm a bit concerned so far.

And Pignatiello.

The only one to just get 1 year so far is O'Connor.

Edited by Jamie_M

Seen a few multi year deals from clubs around our level compared to usual years. . Wouldn't surprise me if managers are leveraging job security over wage in order to fit enough budget to add further players to squad or to allow them in Imrie's case to offer people like Strapp or Hamilton that bit extra to try convince them to stay. 

• Upvote 1

32.gif

33 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Cheers bud. Still, since the Rae era until now it would be interesting to see who's our top scorer over that period using only seasons we were in the second tier. I have a scary feeling Bob Mchugh would be quite close to the top. 

Pfft, doesn't even make the top 5...