Squad for next Season - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Stephen McGinn is not a creative midfielder. Our forwards meanwhile are not breakthrough prospects with potential: they have an established track record across many clubs and with varying levels of service at each. With the partial exception of Reilly, there's nothing to suggest that they're going to score enough goals at this level regardless of the team behind them. That's why a player like Muirhead's career has gone the way it has up to now. 

Yeah, I think the idea of a "lack of chances" is a bit of a myth tbh. Ugwu in particular had more than enough to have scored a lot more goals, and on top of that his lack of any kind of awareness or movement to attack spaces and chances meant that what would have been chances for a decent striker went begging. Reilly is the only one who can feel a bit hard done by on that front, he definitely would fare a lot better in front of players capable of using the ball better. 

AWMSC

As for Pignatiello, dunno anything about him but the fact that Imrie will know him well and that he's had a few loan spells to get first team experience seems quite encouraging. If we signed him under any of the previous managers we'd probably be a bit wary of it given their track records of less than great signings, but if Dougie knows him and rates him then that's good enough for me.

AWMSC

Good to get a bit of Italian in our squad. Mon the Greenock Azzuri!

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I'm happy with that. While signing someone from Dumbarton's legendary 21/22 side might not immediately excite people, we're picking up their best player by a mile who our manager already knows. As signings from relegated League One sides go it's massively more credible than say Kalvin Orsi, who couldn't get a game for relegated Brechin and was released by them the season before Hopkin signed him. That signing (along with Blues and taking McGeever on trial, both of whom were also punted by that Brechin team) massively set alarm bells ringing, whereas this doesn't at all. A gamble on a relatively young player who was a standout in League One is exactly the sort of signing you'd expect us to be making really.

While the words 'utility player' often give people the fear, I'm not concerned by it in this case. He's impressed playing at right back and we were obviously in need of one while our lack of cover, particularly defensively, means we were always going to have sign some first choice players who are capable of covering elsewhere. I fully expect him to be our first choice right back who only moves elsewhere in an emergency, rather than being a Carlo Monti or Cameron Salkeld type where you still have no idea what their position actually is when we're punting them after two seasons.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Interesting to see what we can get out of this guy and if he can make the step up to the championship. 

Imrie obviously knows him well and the fact he can be good cover at multiple positions gives us a bit of depth you need. Interested to see who the next one will be also nice to see us do business early. Clearly imrie knows who he wants. 

3 hours ago, ChampTon said:

Sibbald would be perfect I think. Few injury problems I believe though?

Dougie obviously has some links with Livi and the boys there I'll be shocked to not see that being exploited. Give us Reilly and Hamilton lads.

Hamilton offered a new deal so expect him to sign it and unlikely to be going on loan again. 

Expect we will probably be looking at Livingston again so, their freed list:

Craig Sibbald
Gary Maley
Gavin Reilly
Jack McMillan
Keaghan Jacobs
Matej Poplatnik

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Hamilton offered a new deal so expect him to sign it and unlikely to be going on loan again. 

Expect we will probably be looking at Livingston again so, their freed list:

Craig Sibbald
Gary Maley
Gavin Reilly
Jack McMillan
Keaghan Jacobs
Matej Poplatnik

I could see us going after most of them, maybe apart from Maley and Jacobs (ones enough right?).

Poplatnik had an okay finish to his time at Raith didn't he? 

30 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

I could see us going after most of them, maybe apart from Maley and Jacobs (ones enough right?).

Poplatnik had an okay finish to his time at Raith didn't he? 

Raith fans seems desperate for his return.

12 hours ago, port-ton said:

I'd love someone like Craig Sibbald or Nicky Low in terms of creativity on the ball off the top of my head. There's not that many people like that at our level just now. 

Sibbald you'd imagine would have better options and Low signed new deal with Arbroath last season I'm sure, but if we can get someone who has the ability to make it much easier for us to create chances then I'll be delighted. 

I must admit I never thought either of those could be available to us but if so I agree either would be a more creative option than Stephen McGinn who I suggested as he has composure on the ball which we sadly lack in midfield.

Quite surprised Reilly has dropped down to league 1 think he is championship level at least always puts in a shift and think given better  service he could score a lot more given the chances. 

Not overly bothered about not getting him though if we were in for him, think he will score a good amount in league 1.

If Reilly is being offered more money at QOS than we are willing or able to offer then surely the likes of Strapp, Wilson and Hamilton are being offered more elsewhere. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

30 minutes ago, port-ton said:

If Reilly is being offered more money at QOS than we are willing or able to offer then surely the likes of Strapp, Wilson and Hamilton are being offered more elsewhere. 

This move had been rumoured for ages. The talk was that he had moved (or was moving) back down there, so it was a move which really made sense for him. He's at a stage of his career that a move back to his hometown club was going to be difficult for us to compete with. 

38 minutes ago, port-ton said:

There's nothing to suggest we offered him anything.