Squad for next Season - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

3 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I am assuming - and it's just an assumption - that as we have no wealthy backer and presumably little to no credit available, there is a ton of caution at play. I can live with that. But it's just an assumption.

Aye, perhaps so, but I’m not sure it’s something that should just be accepted as given either. Again, the club/MCT are asking for a lot of money and the footballing climate has improved a lot compared to the last few years so if it’s going to be much of the same it could do with being explained rather than just taking people’s money.

There has to be some kind of vision outlined of how things are going to improve, you can’t rely on blind goodwill for too long.

AWMSC

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

Aye, perhaps so, but I’m not sure it’s something that should just be accepted as given either. Again, the club/MCT are asking for a lot of money and the footballing climate has improved a lot compared to the last few years so if it’s going to be much of the same it could do with being explained rather than just taking people’s money.

There has to be some kind of vision outlined of how things are going to improve, you can’t rely on blind goodwill for too long.

While I agree that some form of vision is important. What happens if we do push a vision for aiming for promotion, increase the budget intentions, and then we still only sell about 500 or so season tickets? 

Selling a vision with words and slogans is one thing, having the finance to back it up is another thing entirely. People come back to the club when they see financial investment (on and off the pitch) and a bit of success - but those running the club don't have the financial backing to do all that much at this point. The balancing act going on here is incredibly important to try to get right, but it's also incredibly difficult. 

3 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

While I agree that some form of vision is important. What happens if we do push a vision for aiming for promotion, increase the budget intentions, and then we still only sell about 500 or so season tickets? 

Selling a vision with words and slogans is one thing, having the finance to back it up is another thing entirely. People come back to the club when they see financial investment (on and off the pitch) and a bit of success - but those running the club don't have the financial backing to do all that much at this point. The balancing act going on here is incredibly important to try to get right, but it's also incredibly difficult. 

Think someone mentioned a similar story earlier but I've only bought a season ticket a couple of times - when it was really cheap and when there was a lot of positivity and know a few who are the same. 

I don't think we're in a position to sell lots at a low cost and just relying on fans buying a ST so the club has money in advance obviously doesn't work (and is probably less likely now a lot contributed to MCT). 

That only really leaves us one choice and that has to be a really positive marketing campaign. If we can get up to 500 from 150 that's an extra 100k plus in the bank to hopefully invest rather than gambling people will pay at the gate every week. 

For me season tickets are vital to get that cash in the bank early and budget to suit. It's a bit of a leap of faith for fans but selling a positive story means more are likely to do it. A trickle of signings, etc over the period can help boost it too if they mention tickets and use everything as an opportunity to promote. 

Edited by irnbru

Personally I'm waiting to hear if the "International season ticket" thing was just poorly worded. I would hope that stream only access for overseas viewers is cheaper than a stadium season ticket. But I won't be surprised if it's not, because: 1) they're already dealing with a tiny audience of total sadacts (like me) willing to watch the games from overseas, so they might as well milk fuck out of them, and 2) with the proliferation of VPNs there is the danger that people in the UK will buy the discounted service and just watch from home.

EOho8Pw.png

10 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Personally I'm waiting to hear if the "International season ticket" thing was just poorly worded. I would hope that stream only access for overseas viewers is cheaper than a stadium season ticket. But I won't be surprised if it's not, because: 1) they're already dealing with a tiny audience of total sadacts (like me) willing to watch the games from overseas, so they might as well milk fuck out of them, and 2) with the proliferation of VPNs there is the danger that people in the UK will buy the discounted service and just watch from home.

I'm thinking that the "international season ticket" was poorly worded, as someone had mentioned earlier. Plus, in their write-up the club showed a link to the regular season ticket purchase. I'm with you, a Ton TV season ticket, for overseas viewers, should cost less than a regular season ticket. If it's not, then I'll be picking my individual matches to watch.

21 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

That would be a target for this season though, not a vision for taking the club forward.

My point is that conditions compared to the last few years are very good and the club are taking/asking for a really significant amount of money from fans and therefore they really need to have something to show for it on the pitch. I'm not saying we should be going on a Rae-esque signing binge, I'm saying that turning round and saying "here's Cameron Blues, Gary Oliver, Alex Easdale and Kyle Jacobs" again is not justifying the expenditure they're asking for. If there's not going to be a significant improvement in the standard of the squad, at least 4/5 players better than what was there last season (which absolutely should not be hard, frankly) then there should at the very least be a clear vision/plan put forward of how the club builds towards being a genuine challenger to convince people that the outlay is worth it in the long-run.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I cannot imagine that the current MCT subscription levels will hold if there's no obvious improvement shown in return. There may well be a balancing act involved in running the club, but that also includes justifying the costs involved and the impact of what happens if people aren't seeing any tangible benefits, the prime one being a better team on the pitch than one which has just spent yet another season in a fight to avoid relegation. 

(All of this, of course, could be negated by a batch of really good signings but if we assume all the contracts offered are accepted (which they probably won't be, but one would imagine they've been offered with the hope they'll be accepted, so it's a reasonable assumption) then there's really not much room for the upgrades needed to move the team forward.)

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

11 minutes ago, Scapaflow said:

Incoming  signing  news  ?   or  Shirt  reveal 

Assuming it's the new home top?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Back to our squad again, McLean's interview in the Tele during the week suggested that he's still undecided about the offer. It involves some sorry of off the pitch role which McLean wasn't too clear on himself - this is where having the chief executive leaving isn't helpful.

McLean also indicated that he's looking for regular first team football though and that, for me, is where the club really has to stand firm. McLean is at the end of a good career and if he wants to keep playing every week then that simply has to happen at a lower level now.  We now have Baird and should be looking for a McEntee replacement on top of that - at most, McLean should only be backup because there are enough question marks about the legs in our existing central defence. If he wants to keep playing elsewhere then all the best to him.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Tangential, but I see the loathsome Aidan McGeady has been citing Brian McLean not getting pelters for playing for N Ireland as an example of the abuse he got being Something Sinister.

Which is just very, very funny and more than a little bit deranged. 

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 2

AWMSC

On 5/19/2022 at 2:59 AM, TRVMP said:

Sent a message to the club asking that very question but no response to date. I suspect they haven't worked the details out themselves yet. I'm a fully paid up member of the aforementioned sadact club so unless they totally take the piss I'll certainly pay whatever they decide.

Back on topic, I think we’re crying out for a creative midfielder with composure on the ball, plus a decent winger who can also create chances for our forward players. I actually think the ratio of goals scored by Ugwu, Muirhead and Reilly compared to service provided is quite high as they rely mostly on long, high diagonals, deep crosses and long throws, basically waiting for a lucky break of the ball. I can’t remember many moments when any of the three of them have been put through on goal with a pass in behind such as Tidser would have provided. I don’t know if Stephen McGinn is available but he’d be the type I’d like to see us sign, someone with a bit of composure on the ball.

Stephen McGinn is not a creative midfielder. Our forwards meanwhile are not breakthrough prospects with potential: they have an established track record across many clubs and with varying levels of service at each. With the partial exception of Reilly, there's nothing to suggest that they're going to score enough goals at this level regardless of the team behind them. That's why a player like Muirhead's career has gone the way it has up to now. 

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

10 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Stephen McGinn is not a creative midfielder. Our forwards meanwhile are not breakthrough prospects with potential: they have an established track record across many clubs and with varying levels of service at each. With the partial exception of Reilly, there's nothing to suggest that they're going to score enough goals at this level regardless of the team behind them. That's why a player like Muirhead's career has gone the way it has up to now. 

Totally agree.  McGinn is able to break up play but it's nonsense to suggest he has the creativity we badly need. Our current options on the forward line are all experienced pros and they have done nothing in their careers to suggest they are likely to improve with time/coaching. 

I'd love someone like Craig Sibbald or Nicky Low in terms of creativity on the ball off the top of my head. There's not that many people like that at our level just now. 

Sibbald you'd imagine would have better options and Low signed new deal with Arbroath last season I'm sure, but if we can get someone who has the ability to make it much easier for us to create chances then I'll be delighted. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

6 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I'd love someone like Craig Sibbald or Nicky Low in terms of creativity on the ball off the top of my head. There's not that many people like that at our level just now. 

Sibbald you'd imagine would have better options and Low signed new deal with Arbroath last season I'm sure, but if we can get someone who has the ability to make it much easier for us to create chances then I'll be delighted. 

Sibbald would be perfect I think. Few injury problems I believe though?

Dougie obviously has some links with Livi and the boys there I'll be shocked to not see that being exploited. Give us Reilly and Hamilton lads.

1 hour ago, ChampTon said:

Sibbald would be perfect I think. Few injury problems I believe though?

Dougie obviously has some links with Livi and the boys there I'll be shocked to not see that being exploited. Give us Reilly and Hamilton lads.

Not quite Reilly or Hamilton. Right sided player I believe?

https://twitter.com/Morton_FC/status/1528702346691284994?t=KFdEkZmYA9vy3cGn34xcOQ&s=19

Dumbarton were gash but he won their young player and players player of the year, can play in multiple positions and Dougie knows what he's getting with him from Livi so quite optimistic about this signing. 

Sort of name that was born to play for Morton as well. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif