Squad for next Season - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

50 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

From a tweet proclaiming they are going for Imrie to the actual article which merely states he is 'one of the favourites'.

Nae worries Record Sport. Back to your crayons.

"It is understood Accies legend Dougie Imrie, currently in charge of Championship rivals Greenock Morton, is among the favourites to take charge for next season following an impressive managerial debut at Cappielow..."

I liked Baird first time around, happy to have him signed up.

He played a big part in the improved league performances in Hopkin's first season and I'm sure having Lithgow beside him will help a lot.

• Upvote 1

Was never impressed by Baird tbh, and I don’t see him as an upgrade or even as an equal of McEntee (not that we’re likely to be able to sign someone of his level permanently) or even Ledger.

May well be he fits Imrie’s plan and will be a much better player for it though, so need to take his word for it for now but it’s still fairly uninspiring.

AWMSC

Happy with that. I liked him when he was with us last time out. I really hope this Dougie to Hamilton talk is all bullshit. That would be a killer for us.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Put Baird beside a better player than him in a back four, as St Mirren did when they won this division, and he'll be a good Championship player. Put him beside someone worse than him, as we did with Peter Grant and Sean McGinty, Ayr did with McGinty & Fjortoft and St Mirren did with Gregor Buchanan, and he'll be incapable of rising above the mess of a defence around him and make his own nightmare contributions to putting you in a relegation battle.

Happy to see how he gets on under a good manager.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

41 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Put Baird beside a better player than him in a back four, as St Mirren did when they won this division, and he'll be a good Championship player. Put him beside someone worse than him, as we did with Peter Grant and Sean McGinty, Ayr did with McGinty & Fjortoft and St Mirren did with Gregor Buchanan, and he'll be incapable of rising above the mess of a defence around him and make his own nightmare contributions to putting you in a relegation battle.

Happy to see how he gets on under a good manager.

Aye, if there's good players around Baird it's not a bad signing...but for now it is yet another area where we need to hope there's better to come. It's unlikely we'll have more than 4 centre-halfs, so with Baird and Lithgow on the books already, it's putting a lot of expectation on the other two to be a decent bit better if we're serious about progressing. Whether Baird is a good addition or not is likely to depend on the other signings.

Seeing as we don't know who else will be coming in yet there's not much point speculating too much, but with the new deals offered out and the players still under contract, places in the squad are potentially at a bit of a premium and there's going to need to be a significant amount of quality added to the gaps if next season to is to be a great deal better.

AWMSC

On 5/16/2022 at 3:19 PM, Jamie_M said:

From a tweet proclaiming they are going for Imrie to the actual article which merely states he is 'one of the favourites'.

Nae worries Record Sport. Back to your crayons.

e favourites to take charge for next season following an impressive managerial debut at Cappielow..."

GMFC could put all this to bed by simply putting out a statement saying whether or not Hamilton has approached the club asking for permission to talk to Dougie, unless of course they pull a Falkirk/McKinnon stunt.

That might help some of those who are considering buying a season ticket, to make up their mind.

Edited by Waverley
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Waverley said:

GMFC could put all this to bed by simply putting out a statement saying whether or not Hamilton has approached the club asking for permission to talk to Dougie, unless of course they pull a Falkirk/McKinnon stunt.

That might help some of those who are considering buying a season ticket, to make up their mind.

I'd much rather the club devotes its resources to doing the work required during pre season rather than responding to every 'scoop' that the gutter press/social media come up with.

2 hours ago, Waverley said:

The only way Morton should say anything about this is if they decide to give Accies permission to speak to Imrie. If - and it's a big if - Accies have made an approach, that's for them to publicize, should they choose. If Morton tell them to get stuffed or just don't reply, it's not incumbent on Morton to do anything.

We also, as fans, need to get some perspective here. Yes, losing Imrie would be a hammer blow, particularly at such an important time as the summer transfer window. But the club's not going to end as a result of it. If he decides to take a step elsewhere and we get some compensation for him, then is that worth boycotting an ST over? Are we going to do that every time someone halfway decent leaves the club? We're not Real Madrid, we are a provincial Scottish outfit operating at the very foot of the full-time European game, and we'd do well to remember that.

The only way any of this season ticket chat should be brought to bear is if Morton were somehow negligent, e.g. they let him go for nothing or didn't sign his contract properly or something, and there's no sign that that's true. Absent that, anyone wanting an ST should go ahead and get one.

• Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

38 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

The only way Morton should say anything about this is if they decide to give Accies permission to speak to Imrie. If - and it's a big if - Accies have made an approach, that's for them to publicize, should they choose. If Morton tell them to get stuffed or just don't reply, it's not incumbent on Morton to do anything.

We also, as fans, need to get some perspective here. Yes, losing Imrie would be a hammer blow, particularly at such an important time as the summer transfer window. But the club's not going to end as a result of it. If he decides to take a step elsewhere and we get some compensation for him, then is that worth boycotting an ST over? Are we going to do that every time someone halfway decent leaves the club? We're not Real Madrid, we are a provincial Scottish outfit operating at the very foot of the full-time European game, and we'd do well to remember that.

The only way any of this season ticket chat should be brought to bear is if Morton were somehow negligent, e.g. they let him go for nothing or didn't sign his contract properly or something, and there's no sign that that's true. Absent that, anyone wanting an ST should go ahead and get one.

The last bit of your post about the contract got me wondering as to his affiliation to Hamilton if there is maybe a clause in it that if they came calling and paid an agreed amount during  Imrie's negotiations with Morton we would let him go.

Big B

27 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

The last bit of your post about the contract got me wondering as to his affiliation to Hamilton if there is maybe a clause in it that if they came calling and paid an agreed amount during  Imrie's negotiations with Morton we would let him go.

Stranger things have happened but it'd be a bit of an odd one, wouldn't it? Imrie may well have strong ties to Accies and a real affinity for the place, but ultimately he's a very determined professional. If he's going to work a clause into his deal it'd surely be about a higher level club and not just Hamilton.

EOho8Pw.png

Stuart Taylor hasn't even been sacked by Hamilton yet so quite why Morton would be releasing statements is beyond me. Even if there were truths to the rumours it's plausible given how football works that the club wouldn't even know about it yet until such time Hamilton came to " ask permission" to speak to him. 

As for season tickets. For me the people who are going to buy them every year are going to buy them regardless, but there are plenty people who don't buy them regardless. For example I have been a regular at Cappielow since 94-95 but the only two years I've bought season tickets were the outrageous early bird offer under Crawford Rae and last seasons MCT offer. Not a coincidence that it was times where the club tried things to entice new people to purchase them. 

If I remember correctly we followed up the Rae offer with the Mckinnon/JJ season  and we could potentially be following up last seasons offer by going in to pre season with no CEO, (rumours at least of) a beloved manager gone, no streaming option and a price increase in season tickets so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those types of fans chose not to buy one again rather than actively boycotted them. 

6 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Stranger things have happened but it'd be a bit of an odd one, wouldn't it? Imrie may well have strong ties to Accies and a real affinity for the place, but ultimately he's a very determined professional. If he's going to work a clause into his deal it'd surely be about a higher level club and not just Hamilton.

It's his first managers job in football as well. He had absolutely no standing in the game as a manager to be able to put a clause like that in to a contract, especially at a rival club. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 hours ago, TRVMP said:

If he decides to take a step elsewhere and we get some compensation for him, then is that worth boycotting an ST over?

On a more general point, but sort of related to the rumours insofar as speculation about our budget is at the heart of them...

We're heading into the first full season with fans allowed for a few years, COVID restrictions are over, there's a bit more prize money available, hospitality is back and fans are being asked to £290 min for a season ticket plus £10 min per month for an MCT subscription making it really quite expensive indeed to watch Morton, before considering buying merch etc...

...which leads us to the question of why the idea of a low budget being so casually accepted? I don't expect us to be offering top of the table wages, but nonethless if you want your fans to cough up over £420 between a season ticket and MCT payments, I think it's pretty reasonable for people to wonder why all they appear to be getting from it is the same team as last year.

It's too early to really be making judgements, of course, we have no idea who is going to come in, but if people were wary of coughing up the ST money at this juncture then I think it's entirely understandable.  You cannot keep asking people for so much money and not give anything in return (which to an extent takes us back to MCT as a socio-type organisation where there's tangible benefits instead of throwing money into a black hole, amongst other things).

If it were the case that Imrie decides he has to leave for budgetary reasons, and I don't believe for a second that that is remotely likely at this stage, but if it was the case then I think it absolutely would be cause for people to immediately withhold money until an explanation is provided. But seeing as that's not happening, it's a moot point.

AWMSC

I am assuming - and it's just an assumption - that as we have no wealthy backer and presumably little to no credit available, there is a ton of caution at play. I can live with that. But it's just an assumption.

EOho8Pw.png