Squad for next Season - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

7 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

I felt that Ledger defended really well from right back but didn't really show the other qualities of a full back or wrong back, but his performances at centre back were always a bit patchy (I'm not surprised he never made that position his own over the last couple of years).

Yeah, the fact that he never really made a position or place in the team his own tells you something but I think he's maybe been a victim of circumstance too in some ways in that the overall makeup of our defences over the last two seasons has been a bit of an incoherent mess with no real natural balance in it. It was noticeable in the last two home games there that he would often try to find a teammate with headers from long balls he won etc, and would try to step up and snuff out spaces and even support attacks but with the way Imrie had the defence set deep and tight around Lithgow then that's something that he wasn't really able to do and nor was there a midfield able to come and collect wee knock-downs either.

I reckon he'd fare a lot better in a more attacking (for want of a better term) back 3 that plays higher up the pitch with a better, more fluid midfield etc but I guess that's not something you can easily facilitate on our budget. Either way though, there's a decent defender there for somebody and he's been a really likeable player so I wish him well so long as he doesn't play against us.

AWMSC

On 5/10/2022 at 10:26 AM, irnbru said:

We competed with a decent Motherwell side in the cup. Didn't concede in 90 and both their goals came after 110 minutes. Not really a great example of a defender not being good. 

Whenever your ready, 1 min 50 secs onwards 👍🏻

Was a bad mistake from McLean for sure, but there was also about 15 seconds between it and the goal and plenty of opportunities for the danger to be dealt with. It's something that shouldn't happen, but I'm not sure a hesitant touch so far from goal after 120 minutes of keeping a team that's qualified for Europe at bay is necessarily definitive evidence of anything, and it didn't happen in isolation.

I'd be more inclined to wonder what the midfielders were up to in that whole episode tbh, Blues in particular. His position to start with is no use to anybody even if McLean had managed to knock the ball past the Motherwell player, and it takes him well over 10 seconds to get back in and when he does he's all over the place...as usual. Jacobs isn't much better, if he'd been a couple of yards to the left for the pass which McLean was obviously looking for and (rightly) expected to be there there'd have been no issue to start with.

McLean should really have made sure he got the ball away, but the whole thing was as much an indictment of what was around him as it was anything else.

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

Making an arse of the clearance initially was back enough but a player with his experience then gets back up and heads the ball into that area of the pitch for the 2nd goal. It shouldn’t happen. 

All in all, he isn’t good enough and shouldn’t be offered a deal from a playing point of view. 

There has been other issues regarding poor marking throughout the season aswell. He seems a nice guy, and fair play to him for his efforts but we need an improvement next season. 

If we're going to play the "link every player Livingston let go because Imrie has worked with them" game this summer, Jack McMillan and Craig Sibbald are both leaving.

McMillan is primarily a right back but has played at left back a lot as well along with having runs of games at centre back and in holding midfield, so as well as being a first choice right back he could give us the cover in other positions that we're going to be in dire need of if we don't want to throw more of the budget at eg a back up left back.

Sibbald would be a quality addition and would also let us have a narrower front three rather than trying to obtain two extremely difficult to find at this level wingers who aren't sanddancers, but you'd expect several clubs who can pay more in both the Championship and League One to be after him as well.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Motherwell have won 3 league games since Christmas (including last night's win against a second-string Hearts' side), so this 'impressive performance against a team that qualified for Europe!!!!111!!!' argument is largely redundant. Yes we competed well enough in that game (which was all that was required at that time), but they were also there for the taking.

The idea that any game in January 2022 justifies handing out fresh deals to cover April 2023 - never mind for a player on the very far end of their career arc - is quite frankly stupid. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Being told by source close to club few signings for next season to be announced today. I’m being told McLean, Blues, Ugwu and Oliver all to be announced this morning. Ugwu and Blues 2 years. McLean and Oliver for 1

9 minutes ago, BigHogTon said:

Being told by source close to club few signings for next season to be announced today. I’m being told McLean, Blues, Ugwu and Oliver all to be announced this morning. Ugwu and Blues 2 years. McLean and Oliver for 1

DavidVizeSPFL found.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Tubes said:

Whenever your ready, 1 min 50 secs onwards 👍🏻

Aye, a mistake through tiredness deep into extra time after not conceding in 110 minutes against the fourth best team in Scotland. Thanks for confirming. 

• Upvote 1

Not really got a dog in the fight as I do agree that they were a decent Premier league team with pace and power that we don't come up against on a weekly basis, but there is absolutely no denying that McLean was ran absolutely ragged that day. 

I'd say his vocal and organisational skills with the rest of the defence contributed much more to us holding out over the 90 minutes than his actual individual performance did. 

He's had a few ropey performances and when he's bad he usually turns in laughably bad performances, but he always came back better and stronger after it when people were doubting him. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

22 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Aye, a mistake through tiredness deep into extra time after not conceding in 110 minutes against the fourth best team in Scotland. Thanks for confirming. 

Looks like two great examples of a defender not being good to me 👍🏻

If your horny for big Brian that’s absolutely fine aswell.

It's probably right for McLean to move on, but using a game against the team that are probably going to finish 4th in the top flight (not really sure how you can try to spin that as making them anything other than a significantly better team than Morton, tbh) which spun on a dodgy penalty deep into extra time and *collectively* bad play to lose a goal in the last minute is just a very unfair example to use for writing a player off tbh.

McLean is not prime-Baresi, but he's been a decent player for us over the piece. Far from perfect, but that's the level we're operating at and given the circumstances he's equipped himself pretty well  in both performances (for the most part) and particularly leadership on the pitch. We're simply not going to get defenders who are flawless over a season and we're certainly not going to get ones who can go toe-to-toe with a top end Premiership side, so there needs to be a bit of realism here.

If Lithgow were to leave and McLean was to stay on a fairly low wage as cover in case we were wanting to play a similar type of back 3 to this season at any point then it wouldn't be a terrible thing but nor would it be particularly catastrophic if he leaves. 

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 2

AWMSC

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

It's probably right for McLean to move on, but using a game against the team that are probably going to finish 4th in the top flight (not really sure how you can try to spin that as making them anything other than a significantly better team than Morton, tbh) which spun on a dodgy penalty deep into extra time and *collectively* bad play to lose a goal in the last minute is just a very unfair example to use for writing a player off tbh.

McLean is not prime-Baresi, but he's been a decent player for us over the piece. Far from perfect, but that's the level we're operating at and given the circumstances he's equipped himself pretty well  in both performances (for the most part) and particularly leadership on the pitch. We're simply not going to get defenders who are flawless over a season and we're certainly not going to get ones who can go toe-to-toe with a top end Premiership side, so there needs to be a bit of realism here.

If Lithgow were to leave and McLean was to stay on a fairly low wage as cover in case we were wanting to play a similar type of back 3 to this season at any point then it wouldn't be a terrible thing but nor would it be particularly catastrophic if he leaves. 

Lithgow is already contracted for next season. Which makes the decision to offer McLean another year strange.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

17 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Lithgow is already contracted for next season. Which makes the decision to offer McLean another year strange.

Aye, although I'm not 100% sure I see him staying. If he does though, then it's hard to see any case for McLean regardless of his merits,

AWMSC

6 hours ago, BigHogTon said:

4 posts in total- this one quoted, one saying Quitongo was signing last year, 1 saying Brice Rice was taking over the week after Gus was bagged and the last one saying Jake Hastie was signing alongside a Hibs striker.

Might want to have a word with your source, he's absolutely pish.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Madton said:

4 posts in total- this one quoted, one saying Quitongo was signing last year, 1 saying Brice Rice was taking over the week after Gus was bagged and the last one saying Jake Hastie was signing alongside a Hibs striker.

Might want to have a word with your source, he's absolutely pish.

New source, last one was sacked for leaking false information.

10 minutes ago, BigHogTon said:

New source, last one was sacked for leaking false information.

Sack yourself as well. You're a storyteller.

• Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come