Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (29th April) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (29th April)

Admin

That wasn't good enough last game of the season fans paying a fortune to follow the team and getting horsed off a part time Arbroath reserve team yet again a poor poor end to the season. Don't understand why Imrie didn't play a stronger side pretty sure the club would have got more prize money for finishing 6th 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a shambles end to the season. Disappointed we didn't at least try go for 6th spot - not sure what the difference in prize money is but it's probably a players wage. 

Youth players clearly not good enough. King is OK but should go out on loan. McGregor too. Easdale should be released immediately. He wouldn't get a game for an under 10's team. 

Big summer ahead.

31 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Aye, for all you can’t read too much into this  as such, it’s still a bit of a reality check regarding the amount of work to be done the summer. It’s not just close to a full starting XI we need assuming there loanees don’t come back and Strapp leaves, we also need squad players too.

To add to this, we should also consider that that Arbroath side would most likely have beaten our first choice team too: as bad as we were, there was a cohesion and clarity of purpose about Arbroath that we just don’t have. They have a squad of players who are all ready to start and fit in easily, whereas things go tits up for us if there’s any personnel changes such is the weakness of the squad. Look at what happened when Lyon disappeared, and Lithgow most recently. Gus has a lot to answer for with the mess he assembled.

There’s a huge gap between us and the best teams in the league, and having to start from close to scratch next season is going to make things even more difficult even with good signings. I’m totally confident that we have a manager capable of the task but it’s not going to be easy. 

AWMSC

19 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

To add to this, we should also consider that that Arbroath side would most likely have beaten our first choice team too: as bad as we were, there was a cohesion and clarity of purpose about Arbroath that we just don’t have. They have a squad of players who are all ready to start and fit in easily, whereas things go tits up for us if there’s any personnel changes such is the weakness of the squad. Look at what happened when Lyon disappeared, and Lithgow most recently. Gus has a lot to answer for with the mess he assembled.

There’s a huge gap between us and the best teams in the league, and having to start from close to scratch next season is going to make things even more difficult even with good signings. I’m totally confident that we have a manager capable of the task but it’s not going to be easy. 

I think it will be relatively easy, so long as we're absolutely ruthless about who gets to stay and who moves on. Which given we're not releasing Lyon means no, we can't afford to give Cameron Blues a contract to do the same fringe midfielder job.

Imrie has obviously cleared every test so far but that's the biggest one to move us up a level. Simply applying increased standards effectively will see a step up in ability on the park under decent coaching.

Hopefully we can get shot of Millen as well incidentally. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

With Hamilton getting a doing in Inverness n 6th place up for grabs better prize money on offer and a bye into another round of the Scottish cup that's a really shite effort tonight. 

Yes it shows the board the back up team are shite n big improvement is required over the close season. But unless tonight was a jolly for a few that's a fkn embarrassing way to end a shite season. 

The score is irrelevant as we put out a team that wasn’t capable of doing any better, and with very little chance of scoring a goal.

Was actually shocked how many of the team appeared to have no first touch. They really were hung out to dry tonight. That game was there for the taking if we had shown the slightest desire to win it. Which means not picking that team.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Easdale just confirmed as the new Morton coach.

They’re going to take his teeth out, and put seats in.

Dougie needs some serious support from the board to finance better players - if he doesn’t get that, he’ll need a bit of input from the Vatican so he can become a miracle-worker.

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I think it will be relatively easy, so long as we're absolutely ruthless about who gets to stay and who moves on. Which given we're not releasing Lyon means no, we can't afford to give Cameron Blues a contract to do the same fringe midfielder job.

Imrie has obviously cleared every test so far but that's the biggest one to move us up a level. Simply applying increased standards effectively will see a step up in ability on the park under decent coaching.

Hopefully we can get shot of Millen as well incidentally. 

No disagreement there, Lyon or no Lyon, but having to put together almost a full squad then forge it into a good team is never an easy job especially when teams who are already better have a settled core to build on. That’s not to say it’s impossible, but it won’t be easy and will be the real test of Imrie, who has displayed all the qualities needed to do the job and then some. This will be the first summer in god knows how long that we can be genuinely optimistic about, it’s a real chance to build the platform for the next few seasons.  

Don’t really get the complaints about the approach to this game though, if we’re being honest the prospect of moving up one place in the bottom half just isn’t a thing that really drives any team on the last day and it was off the back of 2 rotten performances by the first choice team that had been in the post for a while. It’d take a huge amount of faith to think it would have been much different if there had been no changes, so it does no harm to let Imrie get a good look at his squad against a still quite handy Arbroath side.

It’s a bit harsh to be too critical of the team given the standard of the last couple of performances from the regulars, and it’s also worth remembering how painfully ineffective we were last time Arbroath came to Cappielow. It’s hardly as if luminaries such as Blues and Oliver would have altered the outcome and frankly, as bad as Easdale is, nor would Ugwu have gained a great deal more change from their defence even if he would at least have engaged them. It was a pretty grim display but it was what it was and nothing would have been gained by watching the established line-up plod its way to the same outcome.

Arbroath are simply a lot better than we are across the board and that game was just another illustration of that. It’s the standard we have to aim for, and it was a valuable lesson in what it will take to get there. 

AWMSC

Regardless of the weakened team last night, scoring just 7 goals in the last 11 games of the season tells the story of where we obviously need upgrades if we're going to look up the division next season.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

13 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Regardless of the weakened team last night, scoring just 7 goals in the last 11 games of the season tells the story of where we obviously need upgrades if we're going to look up the division next season.

Agreed. If we're depending on a decent return from Muirhead and Ugwu we will be disappointed. Reilly while he looks a better bet is hardly prolific and there is sfa coming from midfield. We need to get the majority of the youngsters out on loan to learn their trade in the lower leagues if they are to become anything other than 15 minute bit players  Midfield needs a complete overhaul and wasting time arguing the merits of Blues or Lyons is really missing the point.

We are a long way from being competitive for the play offs next season and we need radical change rather than some tinkering.

7 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

No disagreement there, Lyon or no Lyon, but having to put together almost a full squad then forge it into a good team is never an easy job especially when teams who are already better have a settled core to build on. That’s not to say it’s impossible, but it won’t be easy and will be the real test of Imrie, who has displayed all the qualities needed to do the job and then some. This will be the first summer in god knows how long that we can be genuinely optimistic about, it’s a real chance to build the platform for the next few seasons.  

Don’t really get the complaints about the approach to this game though, if we’re being honest the prospect of moving up one place in the bottom half just isn’t a thing that really drives any team on the last day and it was off the back of 2 rotten performances by the first choice team that had been in the post for a while. It’d take a huge amount of faith to think it would have been much different if there had been no changes, so it does no harm to let Imrie get a good look at his squad against a still quite handy Arbroath side.

It’s a bit harsh to be too critical of the team given the standard of the last couple of performances from the regulars, and it’s also worth remembering how painfully ineffective we were last time Arbroath came to Cappielow. It’s hardly as if luminaries such as Blues and Oliver would have altered the outcome and frankly, as bad as Easdale is, nor would Ugwu have gained a great deal more change from their defence even if he would at least have engaged them. It was a pretty grim display but it was what it was and nothing would have been gained by watching the established line-up plod its way to the same outcome.

Arbroath are simply a lot better than we are across the board and that game was just another illustration of that. It’s the standard we have to aim for, and it was a valuable lesson in what it will take to get there. 

My argument would be that he would have learned more about the likes of King and McGregor if he had given each of them some playing time around much better, established players. We've not been great recently, but nothing like that - that was a whole different level. I've not often seen a Morton team outclassed like that - I've seen Morton teams down tools and take a hammering plenty of times (or just been awful in defence), but that was brutal in terms of the gulf in class. Arbroath pretty much held possession of the ball at will. In fairness to the players out there, they didn't give up. It felt a bit cruel in the end, though. 

If it's a valuable lesson in how we get there, then we've already made mistakes in who we've given contracts to for next season. 

Wasn't surprised we got beat last but the gulf in quality was worrying and the stats make for grim reading if not for Hamilton that could have been 5-6. 

It's a shame that we are going to need a complete clear out but we need to be ruthless. I think Dougie will know that and next year it could be a complete new first 11 or 10 actually as Hamilton for me is a must keep, everyone wants to keep strapp but I just can't see it wouldn't be surprised to see him in the prem next season. King,McGrattan, McGregor and Easdale should all be given loans to the lower leagues so they actually develop. Also interesting to see what happens with Garrity had a good season for Annan and has got a good amount football albeit at a lower standard will be interesting to see how much he has developed. 

23 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Wasn't surprised we got beat last but the gulf in quality was worrying and the stats make for grim reading if not for Hamilton that could have been 5-6. 

It's a shame that we are going to need a complete clear out but we need to be ruthless. I think Dougie will know that and next year it could be a complete new first 11 or 10 actually as Hamilton for me is a must keep, everyone wants to keep strapp but I just can't see it wouldn't be surprised to see him in the prem next season. King,McGrattan, McGregor and Easdale should all be given loans to the lower leagues so they actually develop. Also interesting to see what happens with Garrity had a good season for Annan and has got a good amount football albeit at a lower standard will be interesting to see how much he has developed. 

Thought Easdale was good last night. His 3 touches showed a lot of quality. Just imagine how good he would be if he got more. 

26 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Thought Easdale was good last night. His 3 touches showed a lot of quality. Just imagine how good he would be if he got more. 

It was almost 4 as well. If only he didn't let that pass run under his foot. 

9 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Doesn't sound like someone who's too happy with his budget from that but did imply for the first time that he'd be here to build a team next season. 

Be interesting to see what the squad looks like come the start of next season. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived