Ton TV live match broadcasting - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ton TV live match broadcasting

I see that the Scottish National Team games will be shown via a Scandinavian streaming service from 2024 whilst England are on Channel 4. That means if you want to watch the spfl, european games (doesn't effect us), the cup competitions and the National Team then you are sitting at 4 paid subscriptions at over £1000 per year. How can we contrive to have viewers paying so much yet having such poor broadcasting revenue.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With this Scandinavian streaming thing, how do you actually get the stream on to your tv? Does one of the mainstream channels broadcast it or can individuals only access on a computer or other device, possibly plugged into your tv? A further question - did the BBC or ITV even bid for Scotland’s games?  Did Channel 4 bid?

I can see it’s going to be the firestick for football for me in the next few years.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Sucker if you pay for even a quarter of this shite. I'd rather pay nothing to any of them than continue to let broadcasters and FAs take the piss. 

Hesgoal etc for the lot (allegedly). 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

40 minutes ago, Alibi said:

With this Scandinavian streaming thing, how do you actually get the stream on to your tv? Does one of the mainstream channels broadcast it or can individuals only access on a computer or other device, possibly plugged into your tv? A further question - did the BBC or ITV even bid for Scotland’s games?  Did Channel 4 bid?

I can see it’s going to be the firestick for football for me in the next few years.

As it stands, it will be through their streaming platform Viaplay. 

18 hours ago, Toby said:

If streams are to be sold abroad I’d hope that rather than through the clubs individually, they’re sold through the SPFL. We’re constantly hearing about Scottish football being undersold to TV companies but what chances does the game have of maximising it’s revenue if clubs are allowed to sell their matches individually (including away matches, which I believe is permitted for overseas broadcast)?

Rangers and Celtic are being allowed to sell the SPFL’s product as their own and as a knock on effect it becomes impossible to sell the whole league to foreign broadcasters. I’m afraid if we want to sell our matches to a couple of interested observers in Belgium or elsewhere, we’d have to accept the bigger clubs doing likewise, which does us and the other 39 clubs no good at all.

Unfortunately though, SPFL TV would probably be the best way to do this, sharing the revenues around and selling to individuals rather than broadcasters, and I’ve got no faith in the league to do this successfully. I’ve not really got any faith in them to upset Rangers and Celtic by centralising they rights either, given that they won’t even make Rangers promote the league’s sponsor so I suppose it’s a hypothetical concern.

I'm not sure if there is a correlation between a collective deal and greater income for the clubs in question. In Spain, teams sell their matches individually, and they seem to do alright, even allowing for the massive gulf between the big two and the rest. There's a case to be made for strength in numbers but there's also a case for specialized, targeted sales.

In the past what I *think* happened - can't say for sure, but it matched the pattern I've seen with other governing bodies when I used to work in this specific industry (sports broadcasting), the League partnered with a rights agency, who in turn did the bulk of the outbound sales... which is how you end up with random peanuts deals in places like China and the Middle East to show games on Al Jazeera Sports 29 or beIN Sports Omega Tango or whatever, along with various betting sites. Such deals are great for breadth but not depth.

The truth is, there is more live and near-live football than anyone could possibly watch now. (Yesterday on a cruise ship near the Bahamas, one was able to watch not just the Liverpool game but any manner of Asian Champions League, Libertadores, Brazil Serie B etc games, via a satellite service configured from the UK.) And outside of the top leagues, anything outside the domestic market is a buyer's market. There's virtually no commercial case for (for example) selling rights to the Swiss league to Mexico or the Korean league to South Africa. 

The only thing that matters in a collective deal is how it's divvied up, and frankly Rangers and Celtic would be insane not to ask for about 80% of it between them, more for the global rights. They won't agree to anything less and from a purely commercial perspective, nor should they. 

Basically the only way the smaller clubs can really make broadcasting work is targeting it very carefully, because piggybacking off the OF, no matter what, is only going to get pocket change. 

EOho8Pw.png

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Waverley said:

That's great news. Looking forward to seeing the "exact details". I hope that there will still be commentary from Andy.

Would love that to be the case, but I highly doubt it. There are only a limited number of ex-pats who will use this service, so to make it cost effective it will almost certainly be a very basic service, probably without commentary. If that's the case I totally understand and will certainly still support it. 

3 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Would love that to be the case, but I highly doubt it. There are only a limited number of ex-pats who will use this service, so to make it cost effective it will almost certainly be a very basic service, probably without commentary. If that's the case I totally understand and will certainly still support it. 

Aye, my guess is pixelot coverage. 

36 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Aye, my guess is pixelot coverage. 

I'd have thought maybe the guy that operates the camera might be kept on as I'd imagine Gerry and Andy were probably the cost that didn't make it viable as good as they were. 

Pixelot is better than nothing but I'd be surprised if that's what the club meant. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Can't see that being the case. Do the SPFL still sell subscriptions to that feed? 

I'm think it gets sold to betting companies and there was the SPFL subscription thing but I'm sure a few teams just used that this season. 

As people have said though, better than nothing and good to see that the club aren't just abandoning things completely. 

14 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

The pixelot camera is in the cowshed and the picture quality is actually pretty good, would be happy enough with that

As long as nobody throws a white plastic bag on the pitch on a windy day!!

• 1 month later...

Anyone else living in Johnny Foreignerland heard any more about the live streaming options for next season, which is now only 5 days away? I did enquire about the 'International Season Ticket' they publicised a couple of months ago but got hee-haw back.

The commercial department and communication in general has improvement enormously in the last few month so not making a big deal about this, but it would be good to know if they're going ahead with live-streaming for international fans, and if so, how we pay for it, i.e., is it by season ticket, match-by-match, or what? If it's season ticket, do we just purchase a standard season ticket and automatically get the streaming option with it, or will there be a separate 'international' season ticket specifically for streaming only? Time's getting on and the lack of information is a bit worrying.

7 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Anyone else living in Johnny Foreignerland heard any more about the live streaming options for next season, which is now only 5 days away? I did enquire about the 'International Season Ticket' they publicised a couple of months ago but got hee-haw back.

The commercial department and communication in general has improvement enormously in the last few month so not making a big deal about this, but it would be good to know if they're going ahead with live-streaming for international fans, and if so, how we pay for it, i.e., is it by season ticket, match-by-match, or what? If it's season ticket, do we just purchase a standard season ticket and automatically get the streaming option with it, or will there be a separate 'international' season ticket specifically for streaming only? Time's getting on and the lack of information is a bit worrying.

Season ticket comes with live stream but geoblocked for live coverage. If only I could find a way to make it appear I lived in Chicago… :)

Also includes facility to watch the whole game the next day without geoblocking.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived