Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (23rd April) - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (23rd April)

Admin

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

Much as Blues has improved, I don’t think he’s the answer if we want to raise our game. We have looked better when Lyon is also playing at the same time, but that’s a reason to play Lyon and another, better, midfielder, not a reason to keep Blues. I have no idea what is up with Reece that is keeping him out the starting XI, but whatever it is, it’s not helping the team. He has signed an extension so presumably is happy to stay and Morton want to keep him.

I like Lyon as a player but it's hard to argue the team has looked better when he's played recently. He's not had much of an impact at all recently or done much to deserve a place in the team. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, irnbru said:

I like Lyon as a player but it's hard to argue the team has looked better when he's played recently. He's not had much of an impact at all recently or done much to deserve a place in the team. 

I'm struggling to figure out what you're meaning here. Lyon has only started one of our last 10 matches. He hasn't had the chance to make much of an impact recently.

It's not been good without him either.

There's got to be a big question mark over Lyon but nonetheless if we can get the best from him next season and keep Wilson, then any team in the division would be pleased enough about having those two in their squad. You might not always play them together, but that's what having a good squad is all about.

11 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Strapp is surely, surely away. There were more scouts than away fans there on Saturday. Even allowing for training compensation, teams above us will do well to find a better young player for the money. He easily has enough about him for a bottom half Premiership team and with time he could get even better. As much as I'd love him to stay, I fully expect he'll be fixed up with a richer club than us by June. 

There's still room for improvement with Strapp (which is most definitely a compliment as he's very good as it is), you could make an argument that he could benefit from another year with us but unfortunately it wouldn't be an convincing as the one that says the best way for him to get better is to be training and playing with (and against) better players. If he makes the right move then he could go a long way in the game and have a very, very good career.

AWMSC

11 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Strapp is surely, surely away. There were more scouts than away fans there on Saturday. Even allowing for training compensation, teams above us will do well to find a better young player for the money. He easily has enough about him for a bottom half Premiership team and with time he could get even better. As much as I'd love him to stay, I fully expect he'll be fixed up with a richer club than us by June. 

If he moves to a non-Scottish club the compensation rules will restrict us to a set fee based on the stature of the club that signs him, but the fact that he's been here for the entirety of his youth training (I believe?) serves us well. If he moves to another Scottish club it goes to a tribunal if we can't agree a fee.

Wonder if the possibility is there for him to sign for a bigger club and be loaned back to us for a year to continue his development.

Might be a good bargaining tool in negotiations. We take less compo if we can have him back on loan for a season.

Surely the compo must be half decent, he's been with us for 10 years. 

Unless Lyon is a Ravel Morrison-tier bad 'un, I think a manager should be working hard to meet him in the middle with whatever is going on. Part of management is dealing with personalities and walking the tightrope between appeasing people and doing what's best for the squad. I'm sure Dougie is up to the challenge, but in my opinion Lyon is one of the better midfielders in the squad and we should be actively looking to resolve whatever the issue is and get our money's worth from his contract. 

EOho8Pw.png

There might simply be an element that Imrie sees it as being Lyon or Wilson in the midfield at the moment, especially with the back three. After all, it's Lyon's role in the team, more than anyone else, that Wilson took. It's been my opinion for a while that we should have gone to a back 4 and brought Lyon back into the midfield, but maybe Imrie didn't want to disrupt things that much (or maybe Lyon, like said above, is carrying a slight injury and that's holding Imrie back from making the change or bringing him in). 

The impression that I got of McPake was that he couldn’t get out of Cappielow quickly enough as soon as the opportunity arose.

I know things are looking up from those days if Dougie sticks around, but I’d imagine that ship has very much sailed.

13 hours ago, Toby said:

The impression that I got of McPake was that he couldn’t get out of Cappielow quickly enough as soon as the opportunity arose.

I know things are looking up from those days if Dougie sticks around, but I’d imagine that ship has very much sailed.

My impression was that he had an attitude problem.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I see the weekly Tuesday epistle to the Telegraph called for MCT to seek 'outside investment' in the club, based on that risible sweetie wummin tale doing the rounds after Saturday's game. That letter to the Tele was of course far from alone in voicing those sentiments. We're not even twelve months rid of the Raes and yet fans have already been clambering to cancel their subscriptions and have some 'investor' take over the club based on absolutely nothing of substance whatsoever. This is why we can't have nice things. 

Regardless of how long the current manager stays at the club, it is bewildering to see how easily some rumour spread like wildfire among the support, and how few people even waited for evidence never mind the MCT side of a *non-existent story* before declaring who was in the wrong and ushering in a change of ownership as a result. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

35 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I see the weekly Tuesday epistle to the Telegraph called for MCT to seek 'outside investment' in the club, based on that risible sweetie wummin tale doing the rounds after Saturday's game. That letter to the Tele was of course far from alone in voicing those sentiments. We're not even twelve months rid of the Raes and yet fans have already been clambering to cancel their subscriptions and have some 'investor' take over the club based on absolutely nothing of substance whatsoever. This is why we can't have nice things. 

Regardless of how long the current manager stays at the club, it is bewildering to see how easily some rumour spread like wildfire among the support, and how few people even waited for evidence never mind the MCT side of a *non-existent story* before declaring who was in the wrong and ushering in a change of ownership as a result. 

Maybe should ask who started the rumour.  Maybe someone who would like to have control of the club.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

48 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Maybe should ask who started the rumour.  Maybe someone who would like to have control of the club.

No more conspiracy theories please.

I would put my money on one of the knicker wetters that our support seems to have plenty of.

I'm sure Strapp has attracted a lot of attention from other clubs, and rightly so as he's a smashing player, but I also think his relative lack of height for a defender may prevent him from going anywhere other than to another Championship level club. I remember we lost a goal this season (can't remember who against) from an innocuous high ball what would have been easily headed clear by a 'normal' sized 6' 2'' defender. 

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part as I'd love him to stay.

2 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I remember we lost a goal this season (can't remember who against) from an innocuous high ball what would have been easily headed clear by a 'normal' sized 6' 2'' defender. 

It's like you have never seen Sean McGinty or Jonathan Page play for this football club. 

I think Strapp will be fine getting an offer by Livingston or an English League One/Two club. It was interesting though to see the Tele reprinting their story from 2013 that he knocked back Celtic at that stage in his development. Given that the fashionable full-back type is now a winger in all but name, I think that was a wise career choice as he could have struggled to fit into their player profile.

Then again, Celtic are stuck with Greg Taylor for that role, while Welsh is shortlisted for Scottish Young Player of the Year. The mind boggles. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived