Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (23rd April) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (23rd April)

Admin

52 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

To be completely honest, I wouldn’t miss any of our current squad. I thank them for their efforts and wish them well going forward, but hoping for a summer refresh. Maybe keep Hamilton for fear of another Ramsbottom-type replacement and obviously would like to see McEntee return, but that’s not going to happen.

Can see why fans think this but I'd be concerned if we went for a complete overhaul of the squad. Suppose it all comes down to finances and contracts. We have the makings of a team that can compete for the playoffs but Dougie knows what type of system he wants to play and the style that it will be played in. He's said previously that he favours a 4-3-3 and I'd like to see how that turns out. We desperate need width in the team. We have been so one dimensional the last few weeks it's been unreal. Total shot in the dark but The starting 11 may look like:

Hamilton

Brandon (hopefully) new New strapp

Wilson New New

New reilly/ ugwu new

Lithgow, ledger, Lyon, Muirhead all good enough to step in if required but we need better if we are to move on. As others have said I'd wish any of the current team well if they move on and I'm sure they'd get a warm welcome back but if we are to kick on then we need to be ruthless. I know I'm probably contradicting myself here!!

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Various rumours doing the rounds that Imrie has had a falling out with the board and is for the off....

That would be vintage Morton.

Thanks for making my day. If true totally unaceptable.

If Imrie does go then I would seriously consider cancelling my mct subscription. Surely to fuck this isn't happening?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

We’ll although they got Dougie’s appointment correct, this is also the same board that thought McPherson was the man for the job so I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if they did something stupid that causes Dougie to chuck it.

Hopefully it’s all pish but the recent  end of season rumours have had a horrible habit of being true 🙁

here today, gone to hell

Heard rumours of the same due to cutting his budget but didn't mention it cause no idea if its true or not and didn't want to cause potential drama between fans and MCT/Morton. 

Wouldn't put it past Morton tbh. Doubt I'd get a season ticket or pay my MCT subscription next season if it happened. What's the point if we are so I ambition that we'd let the best thing that'd happened to us in God knows how long leave after less than a year. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

20 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Heard rumours of the same due to cutting his budget but didn't mention it cause no idea if its true or not and didn't want to cause potential drama between fans and MCT/Morton. 

Wouldn't put it past Morton tbh. Doubt I'd get a season ticket or pay my MCT subscription next season if it happened. What's the point if we are so unambitious that we'd let the best thing that'd happened to us in God knows how long leave after less than a year. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Regarding the streaming service, I don’t know how many people use it or how many pay for it on a game by game basis (as opposed to watching using season ticket access), but if they do stop it I for one won’t be buying a season ticket as it wouldn’t be worth it for the number of games I could go to. I was only at Cappielow 4 times this season but watched every home game & most away games online. It’s a very useful facility but of course it’s not viable if it isn’t making money for the club.

As for the rumours about Imrie, if the board are cutting the budget even further, they are in danger of being strung up from the lamp posts in Sinclair Street. Imrie signed a seal presumably based on a known budget. He has done ell, but removing anticipated funds from his budget would make his job impossible. Might even be constructive dismissal. If MCT have representatives on the board, why have we heard nothing about this? I hope the answer is that it’s not true.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

3 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Regarding the streaming service, I don’t know how many people use it or how many pay for it on a game by game basis (as opposed to watching using season ticket access), but if they do stop it I for one won’t be buying a season ticket as it wouldn’t be worth it for the number of games I could go to. I was only at Cappielow 4 times this season but watched every home game & most away games online. It’s a very useful facility but of course it’s not viable if it isn’t making money for the club. 

Stopping streaming to UK fans is likely to be outwith the club's control.

The financial viability of it when only offered to overseas fans is likely to also be seriously compromised.

I'm sure clubs were only allowed to do it because broadcasters allowed it during covid and there's no agreement in place to allow it any further than this season. 

Hopefully a deal is made because its an excellent service for lower league Scottish clubs and their fans to have. I've seen almost every away game this season and gave those clubs money this season that I usually wouldn't as I pick and choose away games. 

32.gif

I won’t be surprised if the league, in their wisdom, decide to put an end to the streams but it’s very difficult to see why you would do so. Nobody/next to nobody  who wants to watch to a game and who is able to go to it is going to not bother attending and pay not far off the same amount to watch a stream, some of which aren’t great quality; on the other hand, people who want to see a game but can’t go for any number of reasons will happily buy the stream. People who live in other countries are even buying season tickets as a result!

For me personally, they were a big part of getting me more interested in Morton again than I had been for years previously. I’d have had little interest in going to games and maybe not even been inspired enough by Imrie, tbh, if things had been normal, but since my dad was watching the games on the telly anyway I was inevitably drawn back in a wee bit more with each passing week. Of course, in the grand scheme it would have been better had all of this never happened, but my point is simply that the streams bring people towards their club: those who can’t go to games would previously have been fairly passive about things (which isn’t to dismiss their support, just that not seeing a team play is an inherently passive situation), whereas being able to watch them is every week will make them more likely to buy merch etc as they’re able to feel actively involved. In our case, it’d maybe drive MCT investment too.

Putting an end to them is exactly the kind of stupid thing the SPFL would do, but it’d be a huge mistake.

AWMSC

20 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

I won’t be surprised if the league, in their wisdom, decide to put an end to the streams but it’s very difficult to see why you would do so. Nobody/next to nobody  who wants to watch to a game and who is able to go to it is going to not bother attending and pay not far off the same amount to watch a stream, some of which aren’t great quality; on the other hand, people who want to see a game but can’t go for any number of reasons will happily buy the stream. People who live in other countries are even buying season tickets as a result!

For me personally, they were a big part of getting me more interested in Morton again than I had been for years previously. I’d have had little interest in going to games and maybe not even been inspired enough by Imrie, tbh, if things had been normal, but since my dad was watching the games on the telly anyway I was inevitably drawn back in a wee bit more with each passing week. Of course, in the grand scheme it would have been better had all of this never happened, but my point is simply that the streams bring people towards their club: those who can’t go to games would previously have been fairly passive about things (which isn’t to dismiss their support, just that not seeing a team play is an inherently passive situation), whereas being able to watch them is every week will make them more likely to buy merch etc as they’re able to feel actively involved. In our case, it’d maybe drive MCT investment too.

Putting an end to them is exactly the kind of stupid thing the SPFL would do, but it’d be a huge mistake.

It's also unlikely to be an SPFL decision.

18 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

I feel sick.

Presumably the BoD rate Imrie as highly as the fans do, and even if they don't, they will presumably understand that the fanbase is - judging from here, Facebook, the atmosphere at away games etc. - pretty well behind the manager. In other words, if there's a big disagreement behind the scenes, I'm going to assume this isn't just carelessness on the BoD's part. Maybe that's too charitable an assumption. But if there's something going on I'm going to work off the assumption that this isn't a few hundred quid here and there but rather the entire business model for next season.

Now, whether that business model is the best we can do is another question, but... put it this way: if the club and manager part ways over this budget, I think, given Imrie's success so far and his ambition to succeed, I don't think it would be easily avoidable.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

As for the rumours about Imrie, if the board are cutting the budget even further, they are in danger of being strung up from the lamp posts in Sinclair Street. Imrie signed a seal presumably based on a known budget. He has done ell, but removing anticipated funds from his budget would make his job impossible. Might even be constructive dismissal. If MCT have representatives on the board, why have we heard nothing about this? I hope the answer is that it’s not true.

It didn't make it as far as the law courts, only the League tribunal, but when Raymond left for pastures greener* one of his defending factors was that Crawford cut the budget and in doing so - argued Raymond - effectively stymied the promotion plan, meaning any long-term deal he had was effectively nullified. This didn't wash with the league, who said that as long as he was being paid his contracted amount he was still the manager with all the responsibilities that entails.

Again, this didn't reach the courts, but I assume they'd see it the same way as the tribunal: that Imrie's role is bound to include fluctuations in budget for one reason or another and that as long as he's being compensated to the level agreed with the club, budget alone can't comprise constructive dismissal.

*Grangemouth (relegated; still in League One)

EOho8Pw.png

Archived