Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (23rd April) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (23rd April)

Admin

Any other contender for the worst performance under Imrie we've at least created several chances. That was grim. A few players played themselves out of a contract today.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The job Imrie has done over the course of his time in charge is still hugely impressive - we were going to be cut adrift in 10th if we'd given MacPherson even another month - but you've seen there how far we have to go if we're going to maintain the record Imrie has had over the course of a season and compete for the top four. Too many of those players just aren't good enough and we need to be ruthless in the summer.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Absolute shitshow. It doesn’t matter how good a manager Dougie is, unless he has a consistently strong squad who deliver with passion and commitment, there’s no chance of a Cappielow version of the Arbroath fairytale next season. Hugely disappointing.

Another dreadful but ultimately 'positive' end to a season. How are we ever going to encourage fans back though when we offer up this type of entertainment/performance? Imrie deserves great credit for keeping us up but do not underestimate the rebuilding task to make us competitive next season. The majority of this squad need to be emptied they are not good enough. 

32 minutes ago, bob_the_builder said:

Well that was honking!  The only upside to that today is Dougie will know exactly who to jettison which could be the vast majority of that squad

Hopefully so, but he should signal that by dropping Blues next week after another useless display. Our central midfield is the weakest link in our team and needs major improvement if we are to be a serious football team next season.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Said during our good run if we were honest we'd need to empty most of this squad to make progress and today smacked of a team who know they won't be there next year. Fucking mince the last 2 weeks. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Think there’s a few things Dougie got wrong today and last week but what we’ve seen in those games just underlines how big an achievement it’s been to drag this bunch of duds away from relegation. Truth be told it’s probably not really a surprise that it’s kinda fell apart a wee bit as ultimately this is a team of shitebags, and it’s probably a bit of a blessing in disguise as it completely banishes any weird ideas people might have about the likes of Cameron Blues being competent footballers.

There’s nothing really new in all this, but it’s certainly made the picture a whole lot clearer.

The sooner this season is out the way, and most players with it, the better. The upside of yet another turgid season drawing to a close is that this time there’s actually grounds to be optimistic about the next one.

AWMSC

That's was pish today, we were miles off it but just shows maybe we need a good amount of new bodies for next season. Least we are safe full confidence in Imrie to get the right players in for next season. When you consider where we were under Gus it's a brilliant turn around.

Mon Eh Ton! 

Was at hospitality today and Dougie was very impressive. Raging at the performance, doesn't want to be a mid table team but said the squad he was left with were running on empty and he did what he could with them so couldn't criticise them. Hard to disagree. 

We do need a decent turnover of players this summer but everyone who does leave will go with best wishes unless its to a cretin club like Falkirk. 6months ago I would have not been saying that so congrats to the players because they've pulled through and improved. In the end, players with limited ability who leave without disgracing themselves and having achieved their target this year. 

I think the number of genuine duds in the squad is very low. Most will be fine at lower Championship or top of League One level. But if Dougie has a way of playing in mind, we'll need to adjust accordingly.

EOho8Pw.png

I think it's easy to forget just how bad everyone viewed this squad as until December, to the point that a not insignificant minority of the support were arguing there was no point sacking MacPherson on the grounds of "what manager could do better with these players?"

Prior to Imrie's arrival the only players who could claim to be having even a competent season were Hamilton, Ugwu and debatably McEntee. We can't have the happy clapping focus shift now to all those players who apparently no manager could stay up with now being too good to release as we couldn't possibly replace them with better. We need an absolutely ruthless summer to leave the room for upgrades, and if that holiday mode performance has pushed Imrie to that mindset with the likes of Blues and Muirhead then it's a good thing long term.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

To be completely honest, I wouldn’t miss any of our current squad. I thank them for their efforts and wish them well going forward, but hoping for a summer refresh. Maybe keep Hamilton for fear of another Ramsbottom-type replacement and obviously would like to see McEntee return, but that’s not going to happen.

15 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

To be completely honest, I wouldn’t miss any of our current squad. I thank them for their efforts and wish them well going forward, but hoping for a summer refresh. Maybe keep Hamilton for fear of another Ramsbottom-type replacement and obviously would like to see McEntee return, but that’s not going to happen.

Same. Apart from Hamilton who over the season has saved us more points than cost us, and the loan players, most of who won’t be back I’d be fine with completely starting from scratch. 

here today, gone to hell

Archived