Getting Onside with Dougie Imrie - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Getting Onside with Dougie Imrie

HamCam

I am hoping this is not a Gourlay moment but just listened to the above Armchair Pundit podcast. The openness with which Dougie talks about his time at Morton and his plans for the future are very illuminating. The first thing of interest was his clear intention to get more pace into the defence allowing him to play his favoured 4-4-2, by implication this could suggest new centre-backs. Secondly, although he never mentioned him by name it seemed pretty obvious the 'young' player who is not working hard enough in training and on the park is Reece Lyon which would explain his recent lack of game-time. The last point is in reference to Imrie's determination to play a higher tempo/pressing game which could involve a larger revamp of the squad than I first imagined - there are a number of players in the squad at the moment who do not obviously fit the 'Imrie' template. It could be a very interesting close season especially as Imrie has already been speaking to players he would like to bring in. What a breath of fresh air to have a manager who has a plan, is pro-active,  speaks positively and demands high standards of his players.

34 minutes ago, HamCam said:

I am hoping this is not a Gourlay moment but just listened to the above Armchair Pundit podcast. The openness with which Dougie talks about his time at Morton and his plans for the future are very illuminating. The first thing of interest was his clear intention to get more pace into the defence allowing him to play his favoured 4-4-2, by implication this could suggest new centre-backs. Secondly, although he never mentioned him by name it seemed pretty obvious the 'young' player who is not working hard enough in training and on the park is Reece Lyon which would explain his recent lack of game-time. The last point is in reference to Imrie's determination to play a higher tempo/pressing game which could involve a larger revamp of the squad than I first imagined - there are a number of players in the squad at the moment who do not obviously fit the 'Imrie' template. It could be a very interesting close season especially as Imrie has already been speaking to players he would like to bring in. What a breath of fresh air to have a manager who has a plan, is pro-active,  speaks positively and demands high standards of his players.

Wasn't aware of this podcast but will definitely give it a listen. The bit in bold is not surprising, I've said similar on here regarding the way we play being conditioned by the lack of mobility a the back. 

As for Lyon, I think it's been more obvious by the week that there's something going on with him. We seen the difference he made to the team Imrie's opening run, so for him to drop out completely like has happened under a string of managers could only really be explained by some sort of issue with him behind the scenes. It's a real shame tbh, Lyon can be one of the best midfielders in the league and has the potential to play at a much higher level but it's becoming far too stop-start. 

He's still more than young enough though, and if anybody can whip him into shape it's Dougie so hopefully we'll be seeing him back playing sooner than later. 

AWMSC

I think the summer is going to be interesting as I'm sure Lithgow is under contract for another year with us if I remember correctly. 

That makes Imrie's comments about playing a back 5 to cover for a lack of pace but his preference for 4-3-3 going forward at odds next season. 

Will he drop one of the team leaders who's been excellent for him and probably one of the highest paid at the club and if so will Lithgow be happy sitting on the bench all season until called upon when Imrie will need to resort to a back 5 again. 

These are the sorts of big decisions that are much easier for fans to make than the manager who's dealing with his squad on a human level day to day. I personally think he will choose his principles over Lithgow next season but wouldn't be completely surprised if he stuck with a back five. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Good listen and nice to hear how driven and committed Dougie is and how he's been influenced over his career. Good to hear that he has plans to shape a team for a particular style of football rather than pick up jigsaw pieces and hope they can be made to fit.

Nice to have a real manager after years of imposters.

Definitely going to give this a listen on my lunch break. 

I can see there being quite a lot of changes in the summer if he is wanting to play a 442. I would be happy to keep the likes of Blues, Muirhead who have had a tremendous turn around under Dougie.

Lyon is a funny one he clearly has talent and ability but clearly something is a miss anytime I have seen him coming in he seems unfit and unable to make any real impact I think Jacobs will be off also can't see him staying when he is barely getting a sniff even if he is the captain. 

13 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Definitely going to give this a listen on my lunch break. 

I can see there being quite a lot of changes in the summer if he is wanting to play a 442. I would be happy to keep the likes of Blues, Muirhead who have had a tremendous turn around under Dougie.

Lyon is a funny one he clearly has talent and ability but clearly something is a miss anytime I have seen him coming in he seems unfit and unable to make any real impact I think Jacobs will be off also can't see him staying when he is barely getting a sniff even if he is the captain. 

It's a 4-3-3 he wants to play unless I misheard, think the OP might have mistyped. Would require getting pace in at centre half, something Dougie is clearly desperate to do. It would also require bringing in decent wingers rather than another of the army of sand dancers which have kicked around this level. 

Just listened to it there. While there have been issues with Lyon in the past and he's admitted that himself, there's absolutely no chance Imrie's referring to Lyon when he speaks about young players there. He's speaking in general terms about youngsters rather than anyone specific, some of it refers to players first stepping up to a first team level which Lyon did 3 and a half years ago, and remember he was working with youth teams daily at Hamilton and Livingston.

Lyon wouldn't have been playing every week when Imrie first came in if that was his attitude, and although he dropped out the team after getting a new contract which has sometimes been a cue for players to rest on the laurels, the most likely explanation is simply Wilson establishing himself in the team while Blues has been earning his place.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

18 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Just listened to it there. While there have been issues with Lyon in the past and he's admitted that himself, there's absolutely no chance Imrie's referring to Lyon when he speaks about young players there. He's speaking in general terms about youngsters rather than anyone specific, some of it refers to players first stepping up to a first team level which Lyon did 3 and a half years ago, and remember he was working with youth teams daily at Hamilton and Livingston.

Lyon wouldn't have been playing every week when Imrie first came in if that was his attitude, and although he dropped out the team after getting a new contract which has sometimes been a cue for players to rest on the laurels, the most likely explanation is simply Wilson establishing himself in the team while Blues has been earning his place.

You may be right but specifically referencing someone who has the ability to spray passes around the pitch tends to suggest it was not a general comment but rather Imrie had someone in mind. 

Archived