Match Preview/Thread - Raith Rovers vs Morton (9th April) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Raith Rovers vs Morton (9th April)

Admin

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TRVMP said:

After our 16th game, when we drew 2-2 with Ayr and Gus got bagged, we had 13 points. Raith drew 0-0 at Gayfield that day to put them on 30 points.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-championship/spieltagtabelle/wettbewerb/SC2?saison_id=2021&spieltag=16

In the 17 games since we've managed 27 points. Dunfermline have managed 19, QotS a tiny 13 (albeit with one game in hand.) Raith, for their part, have also managed just 13.

If the season started on matchday 17, when Imrie came in, the table would look like this (asterisk = game in hand):

Team Points PPG
Killie 34 2.00
Arbroath 31 1.82
Morton 27 1.59
Hamilton 23 1.35
Ayr 21 1.24
Partick 21 1.24
Inverness* 19 1.19
DAFC 19 1.12
QotS* 13 0.81
Raith 13 0.76

Given the difficult run when Imrie had his suspension and the lack of a major rebuild in January, with just a couple in and a couple out, it's a remarkable achievement. 1.59 PPG doesn't look like much in isolation but that's compared to 0.81 PPG before he came in. (In other words, had Gus continued as he had been, we'd probably be joint bottom with QotS and probably with a shanner goal difference.)

It's been an amazing turnaround. Dick Campbell is a stick-on for manager of the year - and he deserves it - but Imrie's not a million miles off it either.

Dougie came in matchday 19. 2 games under Del Anderson so should be 27 points in 15 games, 1.8 PPG.

6 minutes ago, Madton said:

Dougie came in matchday 19. 2 games under Del Anderson so should be 27 points in 15 games, 1.8 PPG.

Schoolboy error! I'll change that after dinner. Pretty amazing stuff.

EOho8Pw.png

That was the most I've enjoyed an away game since the 4-0 at Queen of the South, what a tremendous day out. That atmosphere was something else.

In general this is probably the most positive I've felt about Morton since those back to back wins over Partick and Dunfermline in 2012. Obviously we've had some individual great games and good seasons since, but even in 16/17 we didn't have such a maintained feeling of a club moving in the right direction. That optimism is pretty much all down to Imrie.

It's early days and everything, we have a summer ahead where we're going to lose some of our best players and we need to see how he does with a summer transfer window, but what he's done in the space of 15 games is absolutely incredible. There's a togetherness and positivity among the support that we probably haven't had since 2004. He's not just transformed the careers of players like Muirhead, he's transformed the whole mentality of the club in less than five months.

Now that survival is realistically secured, the board should be putting a two or three year deal in front of him tomorrow. If he maintains a PPG record like this into next season he'll be turning heads at bigger clubs before long, but let's give ourselves the best shot at keeping him and protecting ourselves financially if he is going to move on.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

5 minutes ago, Scott said:

Blues’ long throw celebration is superb. GIUY McGlynn 😂

Hahahaha I totally missed that at the time and when I first watched the highlights, that is magnificent behaviour.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I'm not for handing out new contracts based on celebrations but if we did 👀

John McGlynn is an absolute fanny.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Assuming Arbroath don't get promoted, then Imrie absolutely deserves Manager of the Season. What a fucking job he's done. 

Transforming players like Lithgow, Strapp, Blues, Reilly and Muirhead. 

Two league defeats since he took charge at Christmas. 

Unbeaten home record since he came in. 

This is a team that had cut adrift in 10th by February vibes to it and most likely we might finish in the top half. It's an extraordinary achievement and it's all down to Imrie. Get the contract out and give him what he wants!

5 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

That was the most I've enjoyed an away game since the 4-0 at Queen of the South, what a tremendous day out. That atmosphere was something else.

In general this is probably the most positive I've felt about Morton since those back to back wins over Partick and Dunfermline in 2012. Obviously we've had some individual great games and good seasons since, but even in 16/17 we didn't have such a maintained feeling of a club moving in the right direction. That optimism is pretty much all down to Imrie.

It's early days and everything, we have a summer ahead where we're going to lose some of our best players and we need to see how he does with a summer transfer window, but what he's done in the space of 15 games is absolutely incredible. There's a togetherness and positivity among the support that we probably haven't had since 2004. He's not just transformed the careers of players like Muirhead, he's transformed the whole mentality of the club in less than five months.

Now that survival is realistically secured, the board should be putting a two or three year deal in front of him tomorrow. If he maintains a PPG record like this into next season he'll be turning heads at bigger clubs before long, but let's give ourselves the best shot at keeping him and protecting ourselves financially if he is going to move on.

^^^All of the highlighted points.

Enjoying going to games for the first time in a long time, long may it continue.

Skip to 3:00 for the goal. It was Strapp's ball over the top and out wide for Muirhead.

Were I watching that live I'd think Muirhead picked the wrong option by going for the shot, and he should have cut it back to McGrattan. But what a finish, perfectly placed. Here's a guy with his mojo back. That Rovers number 6 didn't know what hit him.

EOho8Pw.png

2 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

What's the long throw thing about?

McInnes used it as an excuse for how Killie were against us.  "we were only interested in getting throw ins, so Strapp could launch missiles into the box".  All my Killie supporting mates were parroting the line to me on Saturday morning.

I imagine McGlynn has said something similar.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

1 minute ago, TAFKAC said:

McInnes used it as an excuse for how Killie were against us.  "we were only interested in getting throw ins, so Strapp could launch missiles into the box".  All my Killie supporting mates were parroting the line to me on Saturday morning.

I imagine McGlynn has said something similar.

I stand with McInnes. Football teams using their advantages to win games is profoundly unsporting and shouldn't be allowed.

EOho8Pw.png

Don’t know if there’s a word for that sort of inverse nutmeg that Robbie did but it absolutely bamboozled the defender. It needs a name. The Muirmeg?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

Don’t know if there’s a word for that sort of inverse nutmeg that Robbie did but it absolutely bamboozled the defender. It needs a name. The Muirmeg?

Given the epic celebrations we’ve seen from him recently, I think should be Nuthead.

Archived