The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Page 2 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

SassenachTon

On 4/6/2022 at 10:51 PM, SassenachTon said:

As a football-related aside - the closing outro of SAHB’s ’Impossible Dream’ album consists of a 35 second-long jazz pisstake called ‘Hey’, recorded in the wee small hours after a vast amount of alcohol. The lyrics are - 

“I knew we had to say goodbye - when I felt that warmth against my thigh …..

Hey !!!! Is that you pissing on my leg? “

I once read that this was Rangers-related - a large number of poor souls trapped on the Ibrox terraces back in the day, with no hope of escape. The standard solution was to piss up the leg of the supporter in front of you.

Any truth in this? Urban legend? I’d genuinely love to know.

It is not an urban myth, there is a great deal of truth in this.  Football grounds are places were the Scottish working classes traditionally went to empty their bladders.  In fact, even at Cappielow until around a decade or so ago there was a 'Pie Hut' behind the Cowshed which was around 8' x 6' and had a couple of women inside selling Pies and Capri-Suns whilst folk outside would be pissing against the same hut.  This was considered normal behaviour until around 2010.

Anyway, you asked about Ibrox.  Yes, that is true, hence why their supporters are often referred to as 'piss stinking jakeys'.  Also, a less well known fact is that Rangers supporters would take a small polythene bag called a 'poke' with them to the game in case their need to relieve themselves was more of a solid requirement.  They would lay a brown egg in the poke and then hurl it overhead towards the trackside where a wee man with a wheelbarrow would come around collecting them.  They would be taken away and processed for the meat filling for the pies for the next home game.

Here is a small video which will help you understand normal behaviour at an old firm game:

*insert signature here*

45 minutes ago, Ton in Shawlands said:

No truth at all, IIRC it was part of a longer joke about a guy trapped on a desert island who could only paiss against a tree or a lampost/ something vertical. I'll look it up & put a proper explanation here later.

There is truth in it.  Not just in Scottish football either.  Apparently it happened in England too, as Oz from Auf Wiedersehen Pet will testify:

*insert signature here*

True or not @capitanusand @Ton in Shawlands - it's still a great story. The bit about the poke contents being used for pies really hit the spot. It reminded me of a strip cartoon in 'Viz' a few years back about a guy who had died, and his final anal deposit followed to him to his grave, lying on there for all eternity. The strip was called 'Greyfriars Jobby' 😂

Archived