Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (26th February) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (26th February)

Admin

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But off the pace as a team first half but thought we were excellent second half. Arbroath are extremely well drilled but we had them stretched for large periods during it. 

Back three were absolutely outstanding and won everything, Mcentee was out on his feet towards the end. 

Thought Wilson did a really good job doing what he was on the pitch for, to break up play and cover our achilles heel of leaving gaps between the defence and midfield, but when he did things poorly they were so comically awful that it was hard not to want him taken off. He came on to an all round good game the final quarter I thought and can see why Dougie finds him so important to the team. Lyon added a lot of control to the midfield too when he came on and has to start for me as well. A good problem to have for Dougie I suppose. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Finally got on to the stream but was regretting it in the first half. On balance not a bad point but if we are being honest we have not played well over the last number of games. Still struggling to understand how Wilson gets a start over Lyon and while I have nothing against the lad Easdale surely we are better hiring a bus than being obliged to give him time on the park. I also thought the crowd was disappointing bearing in mind our recent form and a match up against the league leaders.

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Wilson plays because he (in theory anyway) does a job none of the other midfielders are capable of. He had a bit of a stinker today with just about everything else, but we do still need someone like him in the team. 

But does he? Three appearances so far and they have all been a bit of a stinker. If our game-plan is to miss out the midfield fair enough but for me Lyon offers more.

We've got four midfielders who offer something different and all will be needed at times. We missed what Oliver brings vs Hamilton, what Lyon brings today, there will be games where we need Wilson's ability to break up play and games where we need Blues ability to run all day and break late in to the box. 

It's a great problem for Dougie to have and I don't think he should be looking at it that one group of three are the guaranteed starters. He should be looking to pick the correct combination of three for the specific opponent we are playing. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

Finally got on to the stream but was regretting it in the first half. On balance not a bad point but if we are being honest we have not played well over the last number of games. Still struggling to understand how Wilson gets a start over Lyon and while I have nothing against the lad Easdale surely we are better hiring a bus than being obliged to give him time on the park. I also thought the crowd was disappointing bearing in mind our recent form and a match up against the league leaders.

Was actually quite encouraged by the crowd. Clearly up a few hundred on recent games.

Last few Saturday afternoon games;

Arbroath- 1696

Queens- 1445

Inverness-1192

Ayr-1335

Hamilton-1529

People are coming back, let's hope it continues.

It's our highest Sat afternoon crowd apart from Killie game, who prob had half of the 2.8k crowd that day.

Next home game v Partick should see a big crowd hopefully.

36 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

Much better 2nd half where we should have won. Back 3 were outstanding again - I'd probably give MOTM to Lithgow though. He won everything. 

Win next week and I reckon that's us safe.

Aye Lithgow was brilliant.

The fact I walked away sightly disappointed not to win tells you how far we have come under Dougie. First half poor (they weren't great either), second half much improved and really should have scored.

Wilson needs to improve a lot to merit a new deal. Not been impressed at all by him. He's also a giant, put him in the box at corners rather than half way ffs 

Decent point, a weeks rest and playing bottom of the league next week so real chance to pick up another 3 points.

Easdale situation is frustrating. If he needs to be in the squad to keep his daddy's money coming in, I can live with that, but coming on for a guy of Reillys standard against the League leaders to try and change the game is ridiculous. Guess Dougie has been told the same as previous managers.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Wilson plays because he (in theory anyway) does a job none of the other midfielders are capable of. He had a bit of a stinker today with just about everything else, but we do still need someone like him in the team. 

He's an upgrade on Jacobs in terms of physicality, with the same limitations on the ball as Jacobs. I think the criticism is well over the top here - we restricted Arbroath to pretty much nothing in the second half and Wilson was a part of that. We've conceded one goal in three tricky matches since Imrie's ban, which is exactly what we needed to do after the previous issues of yawning space and easy shots in front of the back three. 

We created enough chances to win and were unlucky not to score. Perhaps you drop Wilson out in a game you are heavy favourites to win, but there aren't any of those in this division. The far bigger issue in midfield was that Oliver was living up to the luxury player tag today. Not for a lack of effort, but just because he was largely ineffective (though improved in the second half).

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

16 minutes ago, Madton said:

Aye Lithgow was brilliant.

The fact I walked away sightly disappointed not to win tells you how far we have come under Dougie. First half poor (they weren't great either), second half much improved and really should have scored.

Wilson needs to improve a lot to merit a new deal. Not been impressed at all by him. He's also a giant, put him in the box at corners rather than half way ffs 

Decent point, a weeks rest and playing bottom of the league next week so real chance to pick up another 3 points.

Easdale situation is frustrating. If he needs to be in the squad to keep his daddy's money coming in, I can live with that, but coming on for a guy of Reillys standard against the League leaders to try and change the game is ridiculous. Guess Dougie has been told the same as previous managers.

Reilly was a doubt for today so I've no issue. The final set of changes killed our momentum, but that's because we have a limited squad playing three games this week and one of them in a tar pit. 

McEntee was exhausted but still produced a superb challenge towards the end in our penalty box. He was the best player for us though all the back three did well..

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

^^^ this

Not a bad point considering we were poor in the first half. We have struggled the past few games but we are able to grind out results and nick it like against Partick which is night and day compared to what we were like previously.

No idea why Easdale is at the club he is rank and nowhere near good enough for this level the fact we gave him another year is crazy. Wilson hasn't really impressed but it's still very early days wouldn't have him over Lyon though. 

I felt that Wilson had a poor first half and wondered if he would reappear for the 2nd. Whilst he did improve after the break (the team in general looked to have a rocket put up them), I was surprised he lasted the full 90.

At half time the three of us agreed that we'd take a point. 

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Back 3 were outstanding , apart for a 15 min spell Wilson was awful, running about like a headless  chicken.  Reilly you could see was not match fit. 

Did anyone else notice the stewards removing the Ukraine flag from an Arbroath support during the first half

forever optimistic

Archived