Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (22nd February) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (22nd February)

Admin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tremendous!

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

2 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

Absolutely colossal result for us. Not pretty to watch and the pitch is an utter disgrace - but fair play to the classic Imrie move of getting the team to train, all tethered behind a John Deere tractor.

table.jpg

Closer to the promotion playoffs than automatic relegation now 👀

Brilliant result in what was an utterly thankless task for the players tonight. Pitch was an absolute disgrace and the Partick players played like a team that was more used to it, but couldn't have asked for anything more from them and I'm sure there will be a few stiff bones tomorrow. 

After we scored our players were trying to blooter the ball up the park when it came near them and it would trundle a few yards. There's no way games should be getting played at firhill until they fix the pitch. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

7 minutes ago, CM48 said:

Horrible shift for him tonight as well. Spent most of it slipping in the mud.

I don't think a single player on the pitch, with the possible exception of Hamilton, was especially good tonight, but... put it this way: Gus used to talk - correctly - about games in this division being decided on the fine margins, by little incidents here and there. The difference now is that there's enough structure in the team and belief in the squad to make those margins work for us, rather than using them as an excuse when we concede a sloppy goal. Thistle were no great shakes and aside from their penalty they didn't test us overmuch, we frustrated them as much as they frustrated us, and we nicked the three points because guys like Gozie can be in the right place at the right time even when they're off-form.

It's unrecognizable from the last few years, frankly.

EOho8Pw.png

4 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I don't think a single player on the pitch, with the possible exception of Hamilton, was especially good tonight, but... put it this way: Gus used to talk - correctly - about games in this division being decided on the fine margins, by little incidents here and there. The difference now is that there's enough structure in the team and belief in the squad to make those margins work for us, rather than using them as an excuse when we concede a sloppy goal. Thistle were no great shakes and aside from their penalty they didn't test us overmuch, we frustrated them as much as they frustrated us, and we nicked the three points because guys like Gozie can be in the right place at the right time even when they're off-form.

It's unrecognizable from the last few years, frankly.

I wasn't having a go at him. Horrible for him, not from him. He set up the goal after 80 minutes of slipping and sliding.     How anyone's meant to do anything on that pitch I just don't know. Magnificent result!

17 points from 8 games from Dougie. Unbelievable turnaround!

1 minute ago, CM48 said:

I wasn't having a go at him. Horrible for him, not from him. He set up the goal after 80 minutes of slipping and sliding.     How anyone's meant to do anything on that pitch I just don't know. Magnificent result!

17 points from 8 games from Dougie. Unbelievable turnaround!

Fair enough!

EOho8Pw.png

11 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Smashing. Not a pretty match or performance nor was it going to be on that pitch, but maybe the kind of game we needed to exorcise Saturday’s weak showing. Plenty to improve upon but it was all about the win and we got it.

Aye we have seen it all under Imrie now. Dominating for 90 mins, winning close games, coming from behind to draw, coming from behind to win and now winning ugly.

We weren't great but great character from the team after Saturday and it's a brilliant 3 points.

Really fancy us to beat Arbroath on Saturday.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm from Derbyshire and my football formative years were spent standing with my Grandad on the touchline at Derby's Baseball Ground during the Brian Clough years. The pitch was a swamp - an utter quagmire from November till March, it then dried out and became concrete for the summer. The matches often had to be halted so the groundsmen could come on and re-lime the lines and re-paint the penalty spot. I remember players from Real Madrid standing with their jaws on the floor watching this happen in 1975 after Derby had won the championship and entered the European Cup. We beat them 4-1. Good times.

But that was almost 50 years ago. Has pitch technology really not moved on since then?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/remember-days-baseball-ground-resembled-2607540

Just now, SassenachTon said:

I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm from Derbyshire and my football formative years were spent standing with my Grandad on the touchline at Derby's Baseball Ground during the Brian Clough years. The pitch was a swamp - an utter quagmire from November till March, it then dried out and became concrete for the summer. But that was almost 50 years ago. Has pitch technology really not moved on since then?

It has, but Thistle are first and foremost a preening bunch of social media "influencers", so they don't care about football, so pitch maintenance isn't a priority. Renting it out to fifty-odd "community" teams is a higher priority than their professional first team.

EOho8Pw.png

Forgive my birthday caird pish but the away end was as good as another man after that penalty save tonight. Get in. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

35 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

Absolutely colossal result for us. Not pretty to watch and the pitch is an utter disgrace - but fair play to the classic Imrie Morton move of the team training, tethered behind a John Deere tractor.

table.jpg

Just looking at the table, had we still had Gus in charge just now, we were probably heading down. As a fan owned team, it is vital that we can build on this season, even though we are not out of the woods yet!  Keep up the good work Dougie! Mon eh ton!!

Outstanding effort from every player. No chance you're playing nice silky football on that bog. Tonight was all about clearing your lines and nicking a goal and we did that. 

Thought Lithgow and McEntee were superb. The composure from McEntee for the goal was superb and thereafter we defended heroically. 

Get it so far up Ian McCall, Brian Graham and the rest of those wallopers. 

Get in thereeee

Archived