Stewarding at Cappielow - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Stewarding at Cappielow

vikingTON

3 minutes ago, capitanus said:

Out of interest Toby, do you think that you were perhaps 'targeted' for a 'random' search as you are a well known supporter who has passed comments on here about the conduct of the stewards at Cappielow in recent times? 

I think that may be the case.  I would not be surprised if it happens again very soon. 

If that was the case it would be an extraordinarily foolish action and one that would backfire spectacularly.

3 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

If that was the case it would be an extraordinarily foolish action and one that would backfire spectacularly.

Maybe so, but they (as a collective) don't seem to employ much common sense or logic to their actions, do they? 

*insert signature here*

50 minutes ago, capitanus said:

This is an interesting one. 

Did the search take place on the Sinclair Street outside of the ground or was it inside the ground? 

If it was outside the ground then the steward was acting unlawfully as he has no right to stop and search anyone in a public place.  You were well within your rights to refuse the search, the fact that you accepted under duress the club (and its security partner) owes you an apology and compensation.  You also have grounds to make a police complaint against them for harassment. 

This is one way to get rid of the Head of Security, by getting her license revoked. 

It was outside the ground as I was attempting to enter through the turnstiles. As I said, I grudgingly accepted the search, but made it clear I completely objected to it because, whilst I may have been well within my rights not to accept being profiled, in the short term I was going to lose out by missing the match. I actually alluded to a similar, but hypothetical scenario a few months ago on this very thread.

I did tell the steward that I'd be taking the matter to the club, and intend to, either by emailing them or consulting the SLO, but I'm not sure where I'll get with it. I've generally found the current board quite amiable when dealing with them, particularly after I attended my mate's meeting about his behaviour, but the stewarding is something that nobody seems to have gotten to grips with.

I did take a look at the club's policies on staff conduct, and noted that;

The Club is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination for all on the grounds of:

• Disability
  • Sex
  • Race
  • Marital Status
  • Colour
  • Religion

Whilst I feel I was discriminated against, I wouldn't say it was because of any of the factors mentioned on the website, but of my appearance, which wasn't to the steward's taste, so it could be argued I don't have a leg to stand on, although I think the club could perhaps look at reviewing these policies to make them all encompassing.

48 minutes ago, Scapaflow said:

I was behind you in the queue, if you remember I made comment about kids being denied access without adult stopping our future fan base. You were definitely selected as the steward in question passed about 3 others before selecting you

Yes, although I didn't know it was yourself. We had a very brief exchange and rolled our eyes about how poorly they treat the weans in general. Good to see someone else that witnessed it- I did feel it could've been seen as my making a mountain out of a molehill, but I hate being singled out for that sort of treatment for no legitimate reason whatsoever and don't think it should go unchallenged.

33 minutes ago, capitanus said:

Out of interest Toby, do you think that you were perhaps 'targeted' for a 'random' search as you are a well known supporter who has passed comments on here about the conduct of the stewards at Cappielow in recent times? 

I think that may be the case.  I would not be surprised if it happens again very soon. 

No, not at all. I got the impression that the steward was a bit spooked by my reaction to his request, and very much doubt he'd have any idea whether I'm well known or not. I'm well known to you lot, not to some wee guy who's probably got no link to Morton other than them giving his employers a contract that pays his pocket money.

I may well be targeted in future if he points me out to his superiors, but they don't actually have any reason to refuse admission, and I doubt the club would look favourably on them having agendas against one of their more loyal customers.

Someone in front of me in the queue was searched. Big guy with a beard who looked completely harmless. At the time it almost seemed that it was giving one steward something to do whilst the other one tried to get the turnstiles working again.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

For what it is worth, I was also searched earlier in the season. Unless they were profiling under-tall people with a dodgy dress sense, I just assumed it was a random search by someone who thinks being a steward provides you with a super power. For lots of reasons, aired on the forum, our stewarding is a very poor example of how to engage with your client base.

Edited by HamCam

Keen to understand what they are actually looking for? I can't remember any recent incidents where fans/players/stewards were attacked with some sort of weapon to cause these random searches to take place.

On the stewards in general, i noticed a couple of kids standing behind the goal and weren't told to move so hopefully that's the end of that particular issue.

1 hour ago, Madton said:

Keen to understand what they are actually looking for? I can't remember any recent incidents where fans/players/stewards were attacked with some sort of weapon to cause these random searches to take place.

On the stewards in general, i noticed a couple of kids standing behind the goal and weren't told to move so hopefully that's the end of that particular issue.

Cabbages, bars of soap and other dangerous weapons.

Probably looking for folk with Capri Suns that they've frozen solid.  Could easily take out Douglas Ross with one of them.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

6 hours ago, HamCam said:

Cabbages, bars of soap and other dangerous weapons.

I think you’ll find it was a lettuce. 
And it did have the desired effect on the Cowshed linesman’s performance.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Just out of interest Toby - what exactly was the jumper? My reason for asking is that I attended one particular game last season wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with;

WHAT DO WE WANT?

DYSLEXIA !!

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

PISSFLAPS !!

None of the stewards seemed to mind that. Poor taste on my behalf in retrospect maybe - but not a problem to the goons.

11 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

Just out of interest Toby - what exactly was the jumper? My reason for asking is that I attended one particular game last season wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with;

WHAT DO WE WANT?

DYSLEXIA !!

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

PISSFLAPS !!

None of the stewards seemed to mind that. Poor taste on my behalf in retrospect maybe - but not a problem to the goons.

Get to fuck.

• Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, SassenachTon said:

WHAT DO WE WANT?

DYSLEXIA !!

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

PISSFLAPS !!

Personally I found the Sensational Alex Harvey Band funnier, and they were fucking dire.

*insert signature here*

5 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

I think you’ll find it was a lettuce. 
And it did have the desired effect on the Cowshed linesman’s performance.

I'm sure it was a cauliflower, and was lodged up in one of the roof stanchions, or was that another incident?

*insert signature here*

Cauliflower rings a bell. However was there not an incident with celery quite a few years ago? Beginning to think we thought of the concept of vegetarian  football clubs before Forest Green.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Toby pinned and unpinned this topic