Stewarding at Cappielow - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Stewarding at Cappielow

vikingTON

The wee lassie steward at the bottom of the stairs just at the start of the seating area at front of cowshed was constantly shouting at wee guys to step back from the wall (my 2 boys included). Not causing any bother, my 2 just wanted high fives from Cappie and were then told in aggressive manner to step back to allow en elderly disabled gentleman walk past with his stick. I dont need a steward to say to my boys to do that. My boys are respectful enough (despite being 10 and 6) to see someone like that coming towards them and be more than happy to give the gentleman some space!!! 

Edited by gmfc_craig

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

It's a factor. Pay people a decent wage and you'll get a better performance. 

You may get a better choice of candidates but just giving more money to the same chancers will do no such thing. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

18 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

The stewards are (in all probability) a 3rd-party contractor hired by the club to do a job which they aren’t doing  especially well. Go to any large rock festival (Download, Bloodstock, Glastonbury etc etc, often with north of 70,000 people) - they’re all manned by a company called Showsec. Their role is to maintain order - but whilst taking care of showgoers welfare as their #1 priority. I’ve stood and watched it a hundred times. A drugged-up loony crowd-surfs and goes over the barrier? He’s caught gently in mid-air by a Showsec guy, taken to the medical tent for a checkup, given some water, told to calm down, then sent on his way with a smile and told to enjoy himself. He’s treated like a paying customer, not like a potential criminal. These people also wear a hi-vis with a bloody great employee number printed on them - which immediately identifies them to company management as a good guy or a total cnut when punters report them for their deeds - be they good or bad.

The blame IMO doesn’t lie with the stewards themselves who are just automatons earning a crust and following orders - it lies with the brief given to them by those who hire them. Just sayin’ …….

:huh:

Since when did people go crowdsurfin' to the sounds of 'thu Baws-ston Teee Part-eh'?

*insert signature here*

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Apparently a photographer had been hit by something from one of the kids (perhaps a coin) earlier in the season, hence how strictly they’re being observed.

I get that can’t happen of course, but the stewards are exacerbating the problem and even if the kids didn’t want to act like wee brats, they’re getting treated as such so will act accordingly.

Morton, and the stewards themselves have to find a balance between crowd control and downright contempt. Let’s not forget that it’s not only the weans that are being treated disgracefully- and whilst their treatment’s of more concern considering they’re minors, there are adults causing no issues who are being spoken to like shite by the stewards for things as trivial as queuing on the (closed off) road instead of the pavement, as was the case before a recent home game (perhaps Arbroath or Queen of the South).

The main problem, as noted by more than just myself on here, appears to be that poisonous female head steward, who gets away with it because she has that modicum of power to refuse entry into the ground to anyone answering her back, so it’s not worth fans having a go back and emailing the club to complain because they’ll suffer in the short term. The sooner she’s removed from her position, the better.

Yeah I agree, they have a job to do and everyone knows that, but there's a way to do your job and a way of speaking to people which is not only common decency but can make your own job easier and much more pleasant rather than creating animosity, bad feeling and attracting complaints.

I always found it beneficial to explain why something couldn't be done or why someone couldn't take a particular route etc.

Most folk could see the reasoning behind that decision once explained, there were, of course, some that didn't want to see the reasoning and still wanted to do what they wanted to do. That's the time to be more forceful.

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Apparently a photographer had been hit by something from one of the kids (perhaps a coin) earlier in the season, hence how strictly they’re being observed.

I get that can’t happen of course, but the stewards are exacerbating the problem and even if the kids didn’t want to act like wee brats, they’re getting treated as such so will act accordingly.

Morton, and the stewards themselves have to find a balance between crowd control and downright contempt. Let’s not forget that it’s not only the weans that are being treated disgracefully- and whilst their treatment’s of more concern considering they’re minors, there are adults causing no issues who are being spoken to like shite by the stewards for things as trivial as queuing on the (closed off) road instead of the pavement, as was the case before a recent home game (perhaps Arbroath or Queen of the South).

The main problem, as noted by more than just myself on here, appears to be that poisonous female head steward, who gets away with it because she has that modicum of power to refuse entry into the ground to anyone answering her back, so it’s not worth fans having a go back and emailing the club to complain because they’ll suffer in the short term. The sooner she’s removed from her position, the better.

Why not have a demonstration in the centre circle of the pitch before kick-off against the obnoxious female head steward.  If several hundred supporters invade the pitch and hold up kick-off to demonstrate their disquiet about this and other things, then the club board and Morton Clique Together would all have to take notice.

*insert signature here*

MCT are equally to blame for not doing anything about it. It's been going on too long two pretend nothing has changed in the stewarding policies at the club. Either MCT are in charge of the club and endorsing what is happening re stewarding or turning a blind eye to what is happening in the cowshed. They can't go on pretending that they know nothing about it. It will cost them supporters.

10 minutes ago, astuartm said:

MCT are equally to blame for not doing anything about it. It's been going on too long two pretend nothing has changed in the stewarding policies at the club. Either MCT are in charge of the club and endorsing what is happening re stewarding or turning a blind eye to what is happening in the cowshed. They can't go on pretending that they know nothing about it. It will cost them supporters.

The stewarding company will have a contract until the end of this season, which would have been agreed under the previous ownership (who aren't really to blame either - the issue only arises once the company proves itself to be incompetent). What do you want MCT to do about that? 

If the same issues are taking place next season then it will be a different story. 

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

For what it's worth I did contact the club on this occasion. I was really annoyed at someone paid by the club telling a fellow fan to fuck off. 

Got a good response from MCT, Chris Ross and then the stewarding company. They do certainly seem to be taking it seriously. 

Fingers crossed that leads to an overall improvement

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, astuartm said:

MCT don't run the club or employ the stewards. 

Thanking Inverness for going where they're supposed to is probably the weirdest thing that's happened at the club this week. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I think Championship clubs had agreed to maintain distanced changing rooms for the full season regardless of the status of restrictions in general, which is presumably why Inverness had to agree to it.

A good sign that this will definitely be in the bin next season though.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

45 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Good news although they could have left it in place for one more game so that gobshite Dodds could receive a proper hounding off the park after we ride them on Saturday.

On the other hand, a wave of the 'rona superspreading in the away dressing room would leave them humped for their stupid, wee 'promotion push'. 

• Toby pinned and unpinned this topic