We need to talk about Robbie Muirhead - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

We need to talk about Robbie Muirhead

2 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

how has Muirhead performed in the recent games he's started. I can't really judge from highlights etc. Whatever, that was another crucial goal from our perspective and all credit to him for keeping a clear head.

That’s certainly a big question in itself and I think it’s quite revealing that he’s not forced his way to starting, again considering that goals haven’t exactly been flowing of late. Friday’s game seems the idea opportunity to bring him in though, given that Dunfermline are rotten and we should be looking to go and get on the front foot from the off. It’ll be a really significant moment in Muirhead’s career if he does start, there’ll be a lot of pressure on him to do the business over a full game.

AWMSC

1 minute ago, ChampTon said:

You can't really drop Ugwu, he links up well with Reilly and holds the ball up well. You remove him and that hold up play disappears as Muirhead doesn't really do it well and even though I think Reilly does, he doesn't have the same presence. 

Ugwu didn't hold up or link play at all well yesterday. Muirhead won more high balls and effective flick ons coming off the bench than Ugwu did all game. 

Muirhead has earned a start alongside Reilly and Ugwu can make his own case as an impact sub off the bench. That's how competition for places should work in the squad anyway. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• 4 weeks later...

Compare the way the Robbie celebrated his superb goal on Saturday to his celebration after scoring against ICT in the cup in December, and it's clear to see he's not only completely reborn under Dougie, but he's also loving his football again. It's great to see, and given his goals and performances in the last 4 months I'd be more than happy for him to be retained for next season. 

Same goes for the other players who have been completely reborn under Dougie, Blues and Reilly to name but two. 

Not enjoyed being a Ton fan as much as this for many years.

I’m particularly pleased for Cammy Blues. This was a guy who wasn’t deemed good enough for League One minnows Falkirk, was part of that Berwick team that were so embarrassingly emptied out of the SPFL and was seen by many of us as the next Dylan Dykes when he arrived at the club.

He was never as bad as we probably thought he was, but it’s fantastic to see the progress he’s made under Imrie.

Crazy to think Gus thought Blues was a holding midfielder (on reflection it's not that crazy because we'll it's Gus), and let's not forget that Muirhead was played at left fucking wingback as well. 

Blues was never as bad as made out, but it would be rewriting history in my opinion to say Muirhead wasn't as bad as has been made out. He struggled to control a football or have any effect on games and while there are other extenuating circumstances for his lack of form i.e dud managers, playing positions etc he still needs to take on the majority of responsibility for that himself and for that reason I don't think he's been harshly treated by fans in his time here. 

All that is to say, Sign him up!! He looks reborn under Dougie and if as he suggested the news of becoming a father has made him get a grip and realise he's on the verge of falling out of full time football then I would like us to be the ones who benefit from that. There's very few players in this division who can offer the sort big moments from nowhere that he can, and even if he's just a squad member he's the sort of player can sneak you a 1-0 win out of nowhere like Saturday. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

34 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Crazy to think Gus thought Blues was a holding midfielder (on reflection it's not that crazy because we'll it's Gus), and let's not forget that Muirhead was played at left fucking wingback as well. 

Blues was never as bad as made out, but it would be rewriting history in my opinion to say Muirhead wasn't as bad as has been made out. He struggled to control a football or have any effect on games and while there are other extenuating circumstances for his lack of form i.e dud managers, playing positions etc he still needs to take on the majority of responsibility for that himself and for that reason I don't think he's been harshly treated by fans in his time here. 

All that is to say, Sign him up!! He looks reborn under Dougie and if as he suggested the news of becoming a father has made him get a grip and realise he's on the verge of falling out of full time football then I would like us to be the ones who benefit from that. There's very few players in this division who can offer the sort big moments from nowhere that he can, and even if he's just a squad member he's the sort of player can sneak you a 1-0 win out of nowhere like Saturday. 

Maybe Gus wasn’t the problem, though?

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

100%. I do think we should be aiming for better for next season in our starting XI but he's definitely worth keeping as a squad player. 

He's scored some massive goals for us in his time so far - three against Airdrie in the playoff final last season for starters to keep us up. Even this season, from the top of my head he's scored the winner against Raith, the winner against Partick, the equaliser against Raith at home, never mind some of his assists. That's five points gained at least by his goal contributions. 

He's a big player for us and one we should definitely be rewarding with another contract.

The thing with Blues for me is that he seems like the type of personality Imrie would want. He comes across as being really determined and also a bit of a prick to play against - charactertics that made us love Dougie and other teams hate him. I've said before that I'm delighted for him and that I think he's been scapegoated in the past. 

I would give him and Robbie new deals, there are still plenty who need to move on but they'll now do so with warm wishes, from me anyway. 

One im unsure about is McLean, his influence seems really good but he's too slow to play the way Dougie wants to, especially if Lithgow is staying. Would be a shame to lose his influence but wonder whether he would possibly be hanging up his boots and might stick around the club.

Archived