We need to talk about Robbie Muirhead - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

We need to talk about Robbie Muirhead

Robbie regularly gets heavily criticised on here, and in the vast majority of cases, deservedly so. While the improvement in the team as a whole since Sir Dougie took over has been truly remarkable, the transformation in Robbie in particular has been frankly astonishing. I always thought there was a player in there somewhere as very occasionally he did show flashes of genuine quality, but nowhere near often enough. However, I think he's probably shown more quality coming off the bench in the last six or so games, than in did in all his previous games for us combined. It's possible of course that this is just a short lived 'purple patch', but if he does continue to show this level of commitment and performance throughout the rest of the season, I'd actually be happy to see him getting another contract for 2022-23. 

Dougie's man-management skills seem to be nothing short of extraordinary, but you have to give a large share of the credit to Robbie as well. Long may it continue!

I've been very critical of Muirhead's contribution since his arrival and it is very pleasing to have something positive to say about him. He looks much hungrier and much more effective since Imrie's arrival and although credit can go to the manager, Robbie is the one to have made the real changes and he's rewriting his story.

If he can demonstrate this level of improvement through the business end of the season then his journey will have been quite remarkable and I'll be munching my bunnet.

Muirhead's Championship record for Morton makes incredible reading.

Under Hopkin, McElhone, MacPherson & caretakers: 28 starts, 12 sub appearances, 1 goal.

Under Imrie: 5 sub appearances, 2 goals.

Pretty much the whole squad have been transformed in Imrie's time in charge, but there's no turnaround so stark as Muirhead. Who knows how Imrie has done it, but finally a manager has gotten through to him. It no doubt helps that he's never playing at left back either.

He's 25, we're his seventh club and with the exception of Kilmarnock, who he left at 18, the fans have been glad to see him go from every club he's played for. He hadn't made a positive impression anywhere since including in in his first two and a half years with us. Had he been released by us at any point he'd have found himself struggling for another full-time club; the League One full-time dregs in Airdrie, Queen's Park and Falkirk would have been his only possibilities to stay in the full-time game.

There've always been flashes of his natural ability, be it an incredible cross to set up a goal out of nowhere when he'd not kicked a ball for 89 minutes of a game or delivering some tremendous goals in playoffs and cups, but the fact that was where they generally came suggested he was only good enough to do it against League One opposition. Now he's doing it against Championship teams consistently and he's doing it against the fourth best team in the country.

The big test of this is going to be producing it consistently when he inevitably gets his chance to start, but I'm genuinely excited to see that now. That run to set up Ugwu yesterday was outrageous. What a transformation in every respect from under two months ago when he was bearing the brunt of fan frustrations after MacPherson was away with his celebration at home to Inverness.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Naturally nervous about talk of a new contract after a few good games and goals as we have been burned many times in the past like that, and burned by this very player.

But certainly pleased with his performances recently and if he keeps it up until the end of the season then most definitely.

Still has some making up to do after short changing us for so long.

20 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I did caveat that by saying 'If he does continue to show this level of commitment and performance throughout the rest of the season'.

You did 

Will be delighted if his attitude remains changed and he does maintain it.

The frustrating thing is he does it for flashes. Like his goals last season in play offs and his current run of form but overall he’s flattered to deceive. 

There’s a player there and in training his colleagues see it. Needs a manager to get his confidence up enough to sustain the level over a season. 

1 hour ago, Doddie said:

The frustrating thing is he does it for flashes. Like his goals last season in joy offs and his current run of form but overall he’s flattered to deceive. 

There’s a player there and in training his colleagues see it. Needs a manager to get his confidence up enough to sustain the level over a season. 

Tbf there's clearly an issue with his attitude. Probably more so than a confidence thing. 

21 hours ago, irnbru said:

Tbf there's clearly an issue with his attitude. Probably more so than a confidence thing. 

I’m sure I’ve heard he’s had some personal issues which affected his confidence. I think Dougie’s just convinced him that he knows he has the ability to turn a game around by just coming on as a sub. To give a player confidence by changing him from a starter to a sub is an exceptional feat from a rookie manager, as is winning MOTM.

• 3 weeks later...

I was always a bit critical of Robbie but there was a point last night, right in front of us, where he got into a tussle with some Partick scum. He was relentless, aggressive and would not give up.

He eventually won the ball and hounded the boy after it. You could see the effort and the passion. Turn around in him has been quite incredible. 

1 hour ago, MarTon80 said:

I was always a bit critical of Robbie but there was a point last night, right in front of us, where he got into a tussle with some Partick scum. He was relentless, aggressive and would not give up.

He eventually won the ball and hounded the boy after it. You could see the effort and the passion. Turn around in him has been quite incredible. 

This bit was superb. he have it the full GIRUY in the boys face. Loved it.

2 hours ago, MarTon80 said:

Exactly, we discussed that particular passage of play on the way down the road.

Excellent work and commitment

If he keeps up his form between now and the end of the season I'd be more than okay with him receiving another years contract. Becoming a dad might be the making of him at this level as he says and it's useful to have someone in the squad who can get us a goal out of nowhere when it's needed. 

I'm not sure I ever see him being a first choice week in week out player for us so he may want to go somewhere else where he will start every week, but if he can continue being a player that adds to our performance whenever he's on the pitch rather than hinders it like in his previous periods with us then that's all you can ask for from a player. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• 3 weeks later...

With another big impact on the match coming off the bench, topped off with a well taken match winning goal and majestic  'gerritrightupye' goal celebration in front of the Thistle fans, is it a bit premature to suggest yer man might be turning into a wee bit of a cult hero? :)

If so, what a transformation in just 3 months. Don't know what Sir Dougie has said or done to him, but whatever it was, he's obviously a man-management genius. 

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

Think it’d be really difficult to not start him ahead of Ugwu on Friday tbh, following yet another largely ineffective performance from him yesterday.

Hmmmm, wouldn't go that far. Gozie did provide the assist for Robbie's goal, so 'largely ineffective' is a bit harsh IMO.

Sure, but nonetheless his contribution was minimal except that one ball even if it was a key one, and it’s a recurring theme over the last few weeks. He’s not scored in a long time, the team hasn’t been scoring and if you have a guy that’s regularly coming off the bench and making a significant difference then he eventually has to replace a guy who is palpably not doing so. Simply being a big guy and getting the ball pelted at you a lot doesn’t actually mean anything useful is coming from it most of the time. 

We’ve failed to score in 3 of the last 5 games, and whilst that’s a reflection of broader issues, it’s still an unavoidable fact that Ugwu simply isn’t doing the business of late and hasn’t been without his opportunities - even yesterday there was a few that really should have been put away, particularly a really weak header that went past the post from  a corner in the second-half. Muirhead is proving he’ll take any chance he gets and there’s little argument for leaving him out for a player who is neither facilitating a huge number of chances nor finishing them off. 

AWMSC

how has Muirhead performed in the recent games he's started. I can't really judge from highlights etc. Whatever, that was another crucial goal from our perspective and all credit to him for keeping a clear head.

You can't really drop Ugwu, he links up well with Reilly and holds the ball up well. You remove him and that hold up play disappears as Muirhead doesn't really do it well and even though I think Reilly does, he doesn't have the same presence. 

Muirhead is thriving as an impact sub and I think Imrie knows that. I'm shocked at the turnaround him and players like Blues and even Lithgow have made since Imrie came in. Players I never wanted to see in a Morton jersey again after the Inverness game at Cappielow. 

This is an exciting time to be a Ton fan, let's enjoy it.

Archived