RIP Tiger - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

RIP Tiger

Tiger was a unique individual, a real character. I’ll miss him ranting about the poor decision making of the referees at Cappielow.  People may not be aware of this but Tiger was also a Scottish history buff. Get him talking about Scottish history and he would engage you for an hour imparting his considerable knowledge. Tiger will be a tremendous loss to his family and all his friends.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

24 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Tiger was a unique individual, a real character. I’ll miss him ranting about the poor decision making of the referees at Cappielow.  People may not be aware of this but Tiger was also a Scottish history buff. Get him talking about Scottish history and he would engage you for an hour imparting his considerable knowledge. Tiger will be a tremendous loss to his family and all his friends.

The above brought this to mind.....

Standing in the Cowshed at halftime and I feel my shoulder being thumped from behind and there was Tiger.

Did you know about the Policeman that got shot in Cathcart Street he asks.

No, never heard anything about that I say.

Aye, somebody tried to steal a wummins handbag and when the polis man chased the guy, he shot him dead.

Fuck sake, I say, never heard anything about it, when did that happen?

🤣

(Don't know if that was the correct year, but you'll get my drift)

Never knew the guy personally but knew him to see from the games and refereeing,mind years ago me and a pal got chased by hibs casuals at meadowbank and we got onto the bus by seconds and the bold Tiger jumped off and grabbed 2 of them and handed them to the pursuing cops,got back on the bus as if it was nothing,RIP Fella!!

1 hour ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

He was indeed, and in particular on the Radical War of 1820 where 9 Greenockians were killed on Cathcart Street, the youngest being only 8. Only relatively recently was a memorial for the massacre erected at the bottom of Bank Street.  He was actually instrumental in initiating a debate in the Scottish Parliament yesterday about teaching local history in Scottish schools, on a motion that was proposed by local MSP Stuart McMillan, who was kind enough to give a tribute to Tiger at the start of the debate. 

Members' Business — S6M-02164 Stuart McMillan: Scottish History in Schools | Scottish Parliament TV

Hello guys,

There will be a minutes applause before the KO on Friday night for Tiger. The family are extremely grateful to the club for arranging this, and to the many fellow fans who asked for it.

The very kind words and anecdotes we've received over the last week from countless fans have helped us all though this difficult period and are very much appreciated. It's actually been quite overwhelming to know how well he was liked by so many people. 

There is no definite date yet for Tiger's funeral, but it's likely to be on or around 15 February. I'll post more information on this thread when I have it. 

'Mon eh Ton!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see a good turnout for Tiger today.

The fact that players and officials formed a guard of honour outside Cappielow was a great gesture for a true Morton man.

I thought the ceremony was very good and all about Tiger, I know the girl doing it was his niece so had a bit more personal knowledge than anyone else, but she delivered it well and the stories were great.

Wish I'd been in the Jimmy Watt that night😂😂😂😂

Thanks Bewilderedbeast, I think we got the tone about right, and I'm glad to hear you thought so too. 

On behalf of the whole family, many thanks to those who took part in Tiger's send-off. A special thanks goes to the players, management and staff of the club for giving Tiger a guard of honour past Cappielow. He would be both embarrassed and thrilled in equal measure if he had been here to witness it. 

274084697_5271277302882392_1455740471078795382_n.jpg

Archived