West Station Cafe - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

West Station Cafe

HamCam

I appreciate this is a bit random but I have just heard the West Station Cafe has shut down as a sit-in and moved around the corner operating as a shop and takeaway. I have so many family memories of this place and it was always somewhere we visited on returning to Greenock. That is part of our pre-match routine out the window. Not being local anymore is there anywhere similar people could recommend for heart-attack comfort food?

Was that the wee place that had all the old Italy/Juventus stuff on the walls?  If so that is a tragedy.

I used to see a lassie from Greenock and she used to drop me off there for the train, and it was a lovely coffee and bacon roll they made.  As a Glaswegian, we're spoilt when it comes to rolls and Greenock rolls in comparison are usually a bit meh, but theirs were particularly good.

Places like that are institutions and should be listed buildings.  If they can do it to pubs, why not them?

*insert signature here*

That is the very place. Living over in the east there is very little like the old West Station Cafe as there was not the same Italian immigration influence . People  also seem to prefer the soulless American style coffee chains rather than the old school cafes. A bit like the snobbery some have towards the traditional and quirky food on offer at football grounds. The pie, bovril, curry chips, pakora etc whether hot or cold or congealed or runny are all part of the football experience especially in the lower leagues. A game on a Saturday without the in ground dining is just not the same. 

14 hours ago, HamCam said:

Not being local anymore is there anywhere similar people could recommend for heart-attack comfort food?

A: Go to the new shop round the corner and get a takeaway order. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

15 hours ago, HamCam said:

I appreciate this is a bit random but I have just heard the West Station Cafe has shut down as a sit-in and moved around the corner operating as a shop and takeaway. I have so many family memories of this place and it was always somewhere we visited on returning to Greenock. That is part of our pre-match routine out the window. Not being local anymore is there anywhere similar people could recommend for heart-attack comfort food?

Still same scran etc just from a takeaway shop. Get the roll, head to willow, buy a pint and wait for it all to blow over. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

4 hours ago, vikingTON said:

A: Go to the new shop round the corner and get a takeaway order. 

Philistine. The ambiance was an integral part of the dining experience.

3 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Still same scran etc just from a takeaway shop. Get the roll, head to willow, buy a pint and wait for it all to blow over. 

Another philistine albeit the Willow is another Greenock institution with it's own unique ambience.

22 hours ago, HamCam said:

Not being local anymore is there anywhere similar people could recommend for heart-attack comfort food?

Someone has reopened the old Orangefield Cafe (Gray's) recently.

Don't know what it's like, but I passed by today and it looks nice inside. The guy apparently worked for a local bakers for 15 yrs and gave it up to open the cafe.

On 1/18/2022 at 5:02 PM, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Someone has reopened the old Orangefield Cafe (Gray's) recently.

Don't know what it's like, but I passed by today and it looks nice inside. The guy apparently worked for a local bakers for 15 yrs and gave it up to open the cafe.

The worst thing to happen to Greenock was the death of "Dino's" ice cream. The best in town by a country mile. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

On 1/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, HamCam said:

Philistine. The ambiance was an integral part of the dining experience.

Well sadly for you, sitting in a cafe all day with a bacon roll is not the dining experience that the rest of society values. Mostly because it isn't the 1930s any more. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine used to do deliveries of ice cream to cafes in the Greenock area about 1970.  Fairly sure he said he was working for Dino's who actually made the ice cream.  Would that be the same firm?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived