SFA notice - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

SFA notice

3 minutes ago, Scott said:

It was all going too well wasn't it? No idea what the outcome will be, but it would be incredibly harsh on the club if any form of punishment affects us. 

The comparison most seem to be looking at is Brian Rice who got a 10 game ban (5 suspended because he handed himself in). 

Would be massively harsh on Morton if Imrie got that.

Pretty rotten luck for the club that the most recent of these offences is in 2019 but it comes up within a month of him being appointed here and he's probably going to get a hefty touchline ban as a result.

All the charges relate to betting on football in general as opposed to the much more serious charge of betting on games he had any influence over so wouldn't expect anything more severe than a fine and suspension.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

From what I've read about this, it was first raised a good while back and relates to a load of bets being placed on Imrie getting booked for Hamilton at Parkhead, which duly happened when he cleaned out Scott Brown late in the game.

I think anybody that knows anything at all about Scottish football could have quite confidently predicted that that would probably happen, we all know what he was/is like and it really wouldn't be unexpected for him to end up booting somebody when his team is getting scudded. 

If you were going to go to the trouble of fixing matches in any way, I highly doubt that's an outcome that would be worth the hassle. If memory serves, one of the things I read about it mentioned that Dougie received somewhere around 110 bookings across his career, which comes out (very roughly) around 1 every 4 games, so if that's the only charge I wouldn't be overly convinced by it.

AWMSC

1 minute ago, EanieMeany said:

From what I've read about this, it was first raised a good while back and relates to a load of bets being placed on Imrie getting booked for Hamilton at Parkhead, which duly happened when he cleaned out Scott Brown late in the game.

Pretty sure that's a completely different thing from these complaints. He was arrested for that last year but released without charge.

These are more to do with placing bets himself.

Aye, all the charges are for betting on football and not the more specific charge of betting on a game you had influence over, meaning this can't be related to those allegations about being booked deliberately.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Ahh, ok, fair enough! Hopefully if it turns out he's guilty of whatever it is then whatever the punishment is won't affect Morton too much. 

Bringing the charges 2/3 years after the most recent incident and a decade after the first  though...at least the process is a quick one 🙄

AWMSC

4 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Ahh, ok, fair enough! Hopefully if it turns out he's guilty of whatever it is then whatever the punishment is won't affect Morton too much. 

Bringing the charges 2/3 years after the most recent incident and a decade after the first  though...at least the process is a quick one 🙄

Yeah, that part has been quite common with this process. Brian Rice etc it was a long list of years they were cited for, closer to home Andy Bryan.

They're charging people from the the likes of Strathspey Thistle and Threavey Rovers as well. Are you really not allowed to bet on football anywhere in the world as far down at that level? Sounds an absolute nonsense. 

10 minutes ago, Hej said:

They're charging people from the the likes of Strathspey Thistle and Threavey Rovers as well. Are you really not allowed to bet on football anywhere in the world as far down at that level? Sounds an absolute nonsense. 

Obviously someone is sticking these guys in.

I get it if the likes of Morelos, Scott Brown or Griffiths walked into a bookies almost anywhere in the country someone would recognise them. But, if say Reece Lyon or Lewis Strapp walked into a bookies in Glasgow city centre to put a bet on, it's highly unlikely that anyone would know who they were.

As long as they are not betting on a game they could have a direct influence on, is there really any harm in it.

Even if they brought in a rule that you can't bet on game in your own league, would that not suffice.

I remember when I used to work on the turnstiles and we were in getting our float etc, loads of the players would be in putting on coupons and talking about bets they had on, and Gillian Donaldson would be there not batting an eyelid.

Shows you how seriously the rule is taken.

Speaking to a workmate who happens to be a goalkeeper for one of the teams involved, the system has various stages and breaches. First is betting on any game second betting on a game in your league and third is betting on your own team.

Surely most of these guys are betting online so you have to wonder exactly who is grassing them in. Teammates? Bookmakers? Club staff?

The League hasn't a leg to stand on morally with this considering how cosy they are with betting companies. Players should be able to bet on football that isn't in Scotland.

It still amazes me footballers open online accounts to place bets knowing there is a history of bookmakers landing them in it! The only surprise to me is that so few have been caught out.

I fully appreciate concerns over inappropriate betting activity but surely there is a compromise than does not involve a total ban at all levels of the game? We all know players, like many fans, like to stick a bet on and for the most part it is harmless. I also know of officials who place bets even dare I say it on matches where they are officiating. 

None of the above excuses Imrie if he is found guilty but it just feels to me that too often it is the 'lesser' figures in the game who are hung out to dry.

Archived