Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (8th January) - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (8th January)

Admin

For about 30 minutes of that I was a bit worried about the amount of space we were giving up in midfield. That concern came from me failing to appreciate how utterly toothless Dunfermline are; Imrie clearly did and knew that we could deal with them. As soon as we got the second it was a question of how many.

No poor performances in that Morton team. You can play it down by acknowledging that Dunfermline are a ridiculous shambles, but that's two very impressive results in two games from Imrie. A few of them are already looking like different players under his management, most obviously Reilly who was tremendous.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imrie has put to bed the ridiculous nonsense like playing Strapp at centre back, and seems to have moved Lyon into almost where Jacobs usually plays. That worked well as Lyon was excellent in that role. Reilly was superb, really getting stuck in and unlucky only to get one goal. Blues has improved noticeably and was much more in the game, and he can finish - he’s a young player but looked a lot better than earlier in the season. Worked well having both him and Lyon on the pitch at the same time. The whole team looked much more connected, playing as a unit. Gave Dunfermline too much space in midfield at times but the defence was solid. Very impressed with Imrie so far. We look like a much better team now. Ugwu had a quiet game but he does a power of work beating up the opposition. Better times coming.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Not quite, we drew at Killie.

Undefeated though.

Ooooooooooooh, yes sir, we've got Dougie.....

Fair enough, forgot he was in charge for the Kilmarnock game.

It seems ages since we played them.

*insert signature here*

On 12/31/2021 at 5:31 PM, vikingTON said:

I completely agree on the luck point, but something that the team can change to improve their 'luck' and stop leaving points on the table (as they see it) is to dominate from set-pieces. Our failure to do so was one of the main reasons why McPherson wasn't up to the job - the lower down the league you are, the more important set pieces become as a way of compensating for shortcomings in open play. 

The corner goal from the other night is an encouraging start, as this is the most immediate (and no budget needed) change that Imrie can make to improve results. 

Two games under Imrie: two goals from set-pieces (comedy own goal from one of a barrage of long throws). If we had any similar strategy and preparation for attacking set pieces under the previous manager, it was not even remotely apparent on a Saturday afternoon.

It's really not rocket science to know that asking harder questions of a dung Scottish Championship defence at set pieces will yield multiple chances and likely goals, but here we are finally exploiting it. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Two games under Imrie: two goals from set-pieces (comedy own goal from one of a barrage of long throws). If we had any similar strategy and preparation for attacking set pieces under the previous manager, it was not even remotely apparent on a Saturday afternoon.

It's really not rocket science to know that asking harder questions of a dung Scottish Championship defence at set pieces will yield multiple chances and likely goals, but here we are finally exploiting it. 

Aye the Strapp long throw was really effective yesterday. Lithgow, McLean and Ledger all had good chances off it and of course the goal.

Let's hope it continues next week against McGinty and Co.

2 minutes ago, Madton said:

Aye the Strapp long throw was really effective yesterday. Lithgow, McLean and Ledger all had good chances off it and of course the goal.

Let's hope it continues next week against McGinty and Co.

Yes, from what I remember both our goals the last time we played Ayr came from crosses into the box. Baird and McGinty couldn't cope. More of the same please. 

19 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Isn't amazing what a rollicking Ton win does for the spirits? I've been like a dug wi 3 baws since the final whistle.

The only negative from it is that the Falkirk fans have had something to fool themselves into thinking their miserable existence is somehow worthwhile off the back of Dunfermline getting hounded.

I suppose that lot have given us plenty of joy in the last three years or so though, so it’s only fair we reciprocate.

7 minutes ago, Toby said:

The only negative from it is that the Falkirk fans have had something to fool themselves into thinking their miserable existence is somehow worthwhile off the back of Dunfermline getting hounded.

I suppose that lot have given us plenty of joy in the last three years or so though, so it’s only fair we reciprocate.

😂

Highlights really do show that we should have had 8/9. Where we that good or were Dunfermline shite? I didn't see the game.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Highlights really do show that we should have had 8/9. Where we that good or were Dunfermline shite? I didn't see the game.

Bit of both imo. Dunfermline were rank but, for the first time in God knows how long, we were a team that smelt blood after the first goal and we ripped them apart!  

Looking forward to the podcast this week :) 

here today, gone to hell

2 hours ago, bob_the_builder said:

Bit of both imo. Dunfermline were rank but, for the first time in God knows how long, we were a team that smelt blood after the first goal and we ripped them apart!  

Looking forward to the podcast this week :) 

Aye, Dunfermline were truly awful and that shouldn't be understated - they had a defender who hadn't played in almost 2 years and it didn't half show! They kept trying to play out from the back and had nowhere to go, they were toothless in attack and so vulnerable at the back. 

But we kept getting bodies forward, and quickly. We pressed them, put them under pressure, kept looking to create chances, and, from the point that we took the lead, found some real confidence and quality in our play. It was every bit the opposite of the ICT game a few weeks ago. 

Archived