Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (8th January) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (8th January)

Admin

Superb today. Closed down in all the right places and worked as a unit. Amazing to see what a bit of positivity and playing players in the right position does. Possession might have been even but we took our chances and deserved everything we got by good game management. 

Thought Reilly was superb and put in some shift. Lyon great in the middle too. If I was being critical, Ugwu looked a bit off the pace but would take that every week. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely superb today. Five goals clean sheet. Dunfermline really are shite. Let's take care of the little people next week. 

You could pick from 7/8 for man of the match today for me it was reilly superb first half scored a very gd goal and worked really hard second half. All round a cracking shift from the team. 

It's almost like if you give 100%, show some passion and endeavor and a wee bit of quality to boot, you'll win over the fans. Astounding!

Very early days obviously, but I've been hugely impressed by Sir Dougie so far. He been excellent in every interview, a breath of fresh air after all the 'plucky wee Morton' pish we've had to put up with with our recent managers.

Fair play to MCT for first of all punting Gus, and secondly for taking the risk of hiring a young rookie. In the space of 3 weeks I've went from being resigned to relegation to having genuine hope and optimism. 

7 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

According to the match report on the Pars website, the first half was 'fairly even' 😂

May be an image of text that says "Right on half time a Darren Hynes ball into the Dunfermline box was headed over Fôn Williams by former Pars striker Gavin REILLY and it was 3-0. The home side certainly demonstrated the way to take their chances in what otherwise was a fairly even match. Half time: Morton 3 Dunfermline 0"

I don't think they were particularly wrong. Dunfermline had some decent chances that they didn't take, and I don't think we particularly looked like scoring until Oliver hit that cracker. 

I also think it was done after the second goal, and we were well worth the big win after that. 

It's all about goals and we've been missing that for such a long time. There have been matches this season (Ayr and Raith at home spring to mind) when we should have been out of sight, but couldn't score the goals and ended up with a point or nothing at all. You could see the difference it made throughout the team as soon as we started to hit the back of the net. 

We worked hard, pressed well, and got players into good forward positions today. Exactly what we needed in terms of performance and we were rewarded for it. Can't quite believe how bad Dunfermline were, but we exploited it brilliantly. 

I loved that we continued to send the guys up from the back for long throws. We didn't try to sit on a lead at any point, which was great to see. 

1 minute ago, SpoonTon said:

I don't think they were particularly wrong. Dunfermline had some decent chances that they didn't take, and I don't think we particularly looked like scoring until Oliver hit that cracker. 

They had, to my recollection, ONE shot on goal in the 1st half, that was comfortably dealt with by Hamilton. We totally bossed the first 10 minutes and the last 15 minutes. The other 20 minutes were pretty even. No way was the first half 'fairly even'. 

19 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

They had, to my recollection, ONE shot on goal in the 1st half, that was comfortably dealt with by Hamilton. We totally bossed the first 10 minutes and the last 15 minutes. The other 20 minutes were pretty even. No way was the first half 'fairly even'. 

Hamilton made saves either side of our opening goal. They also had a couple of free kicks in dangerous positions. Up till the second goal it was fairly even in terms of chances and possession. We started stronger, like you say, and they came back into it a bit and definitely had a couple of good chances. 

From the point we scored the second there was nothing even about it. 

6 minutes ago, dmcewan16 said:

What a stat from that report:

"An astonishing 29 per cent of Oliver’s total career goals have come against the Pars." 

I'd say he gets to keep them, but who'd want to? 

EOho8Pw.png

Remember when we could hardly score,a shocking 3 in 9 games...

The last 8 games we have scored 14, more than anyone else in the league. Alright, we have let in more than anyone else but still...

Also top scorers in the league over the last 10 games.

1 hour ago, dmcewan16 said:

Whilst I understand and even empathise with your logic - its east coast, so it's all the same out that way - the Courier isn't the local paper for Dunfermline or even Fifers.  It's the Dunfermline Press.

The Courier is a Dundee paper, produced by a fine bunch of people.

Next.

*insert signature here*

5 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Ooft.

Dougie Fucking Imrie by the way.

5 hours ago, bob_the_builder said:

Dougie Fucking Imrie 😃🍻🍻

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but what a managerial debut.

100% win record and what a way to do it.

*insert signature here*

Still smiling 6 hours on. Didn't want it to end. First half we started well but Dunfermline started growing into the game and we seemed to give them far too much space in the middle of the park. However, they are really really really really shite so didn't capitalise. 

Soon as the first goal went in, there was only one winner. First goal was a superb strike and the second was another great strike after some great play from Reilly. My personal favourite though was the 3rd. Delightful delivery from Hynes and a fantastic header from Reilly. 

Real togetherness from the squad and I see Imrie making sure they applauded the fans that were in attendance - first time that's happened for a very long time. People might say we're a hard bunch to please and bad old Morton fans are the worst to play in front of in Scotland but if you work hard and fight for every ball, while supplying a bit of quality then that's all we ask and we'll back you.

Great start under Imrie. Gutted there'll be no away fans next week at Ayr as I'd imagine there would have been a big crowd going through after today. Hopefully not too long before everyone can get back in. 

The Dunfermline website has audio up of Imrie's post-match. They didn't bother transcribing it so I've done so here:

(inaudible question)

DI: We got the result that we were looking for. It was imperative that we won today. If we didn't the gap would have got bigger and it would be a bigger challenge to get back on top, but I thought everyone, to a man, from our team was outstanding.

(on the goal difference from the 6-1 loss being wiped out)

DI: Yeah, of course. Like I said it was an outstanding performance from everyone, but more importantly the three points was the big one today. Delighted for everyone: the players, the staff, the fans. It's been a tough year last year for home wins, and to kick the new year off with a home win straight away and get the monkey off the back at home is massive for us.

(what was the pre-match message?)

DI: Go and win the game. Simple as that. Go and win the game, do what you done at Kilmarnock, a tough game down there last Wednesday, just replicate that. To be fair, the boys have went out today and smashed it.

(beating a fellow struggler, is it a statement?)

DI: I wouldn't say it's a statement. I'd say we need to win games of football, and we've done that today. Dunfermline will come back, they're a big club, they've got a good manager and good players (fact check this - ed.) so like I say, for us it was all about us today. That game's now done, we move on to Ayr.

(3-0 up but you still got "stuck into the referee" after half-time?)

DI: Yeah of course. I'm a winner. I need that from everyone. Like, I'll do the best I can for my team to win games of football, and if I need to have a go at certain people, I'll do that.

(inaudible follow-up but from context it's about Reilly's disallowed goal)

DI: Yeah, it was. I don't know where he sees the touch come from. Their defender's played the ball to our striker so the goal, for me, should have stood.

(inaudible question)

DI: Yeah, but again, it's only one game. We've got to keep continuing that week in, week out. If we can get that we'll be fine, but like I said to the guys there, we can't get too above ourselves. It's only one game. We build on that and we go and do it again next Saturday at Ayr.

(inaudible question about transfers)

DI: Yeah, we'll try. It will be difficult. We tried to get someone in during the week and it didn't happen, so we go again, we move on.

-----------

Morton, meanwhile, haven't even got the score up on their site, let alone anything else, and the manager's words aren't on any of the social outlets.

EOho8Pw.png

Hughes thought Dunfermline were the better team in the first half. Imagine having that as your manager. A delusional fraud.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

6 hours ago, TRVMP said:

The Dunfermline website has audio up of Imrie's post-match. They didn't bother transcribing it so I've done so here:

(inaudible question)

DI: We got the result that we were looking for. It was imperative that we won today. If we didn't the gap would have got bigger and it would be a bigger challenge to get back on top, but I thought everyone, to a man, from our team was outstanding.

(on the goal difference from the 6-1 loss being wiped out)

DI: Yeah, of course. Like I said it was an outstanding performance from everyone, but more importantly the three points was the big one today. Delighted for everyone: the players, the staff, the fans. It's been a tough year last year for home wins, and to kick the new year off with a home win straight away and get the monkey off the back at home is massive for us.

(what was the pre-match message?)

DI: Go and win the game. Simple as that. Go and win the game, do what you done at Kilmarnock, a tough game down there last Wednesday, just replicate that. To be fair, the boys have went out today and smashed it.

(beating a fellow struggler, is it a statement?)

DI: I wouldn't say it's a statement. I'd say we need to win games of football, and we've done that today. Dunfermline will come back, they're a big club, they've got a good manager and good players (fact check this - ed.) so like I say, for us it was all about us today. That game's now done, we move on to Ayr.

(3-0 up but you still got "stuck into the referee" after half-time?)

DI: Yeah of course. I'm a winner. I need that from everyone. Like, I'll do the best I can for my team to win games of football, and if I need to have a go at certain people, I'll do that.

(inaudible follow-up but from context it's about Reilly's disallowed goal)

DI: Yeah, it was. I don't know where he sees the touch come from. Their defender's played the ball to our striker so the goal, for me, should have stood.

(inaudible question)

DI: Yeah, but again, it's only one game. We've got to keep continuing that week in, week out. If we can get that we'll be fine, but like I said to the guys there, we can't get too above ourselves. It's only one game. We build on that and we go and do it again next Saturday at Ayr.

(inaudible question about transfers)

DI: Yeah, we'll try. It will be difficult. We tried to get someone in during the week and it didn't happen, so we go again, we move on.

-----------

Morton, meanwhile, haven't even got the score up on their site, let alone anything else, and the manager's words aren't on any of the social outlets.

I really, really like the cut of his jib

Archived