Match Preview/Thread - Kilmarnock vs Morton (29th December) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Kilmarnock vs Morton (29th December)

Admin

Unexpected point but deserved after a much improved second-half performance. Only frustration was the lack of ambition late on when Kilmarnock were down to 10 men, Morton had scored from the previous corner and we decided to waste time at the next corner - there was at least three minutes to go!. Hopefully the realisation the rest of the division is pish encourages Imrie to have a go in the weeks to come.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

Loser mentality on show again at the end there keeping it in the corner. 

Dunno about that. We got pounded the first half and heads could have went down but might have won it in the end. 

We're bottom of the league and desperate for points so can see why we tried to just play safe. If we can take points in games like that and start to pick up a couple of wins then we'll be fine. 

1 minute ago, irnbru said:

Dunno about that. We got pounded the first half and heads could have went down but might have won it in the end. 

We're bottom of the league and desperate for points so can see why we tried to just play safe. If we can take points in games like that and start to pick up a couple of wins then we'll be fine. 

2 minutes to go. Just scored from our last corner. Killie down to 10 men with one of their big mutants off the pitch. Then subsequently giving a free kick away while keeping the ball in the corner which then allowed Killie to attack our end. 

Just get it in the box. 

I am generally not against 3 at the back, mainly as we have no wide midfielders or the strikers to play a front 3, and we can get some width from the wingbacks. But Jacobs has been off the pace the last few months and Oliver should not be playing that linking role. 

Defensively we were just too deep and it just invited preasure, when we have been inept at basic defending in the past weeks that just asking for trouble.

A first half that we got what we deserved And could have been down 2 or 3.

But some bold early changes, show that Imrie will not accept that type of performance.  The changes allowed us to compete and from then on we looked like we had half a chance.

Let's hope he can build on this and progress

34 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

Loser mentality on show again at the end there keeping it in the corner. 

A terrible performance until Jacobs went off. He really is a terrible footballer and brings heehaw to us. The subs of Blues and Muirhead and reverting to a back 4 made us a threat going forward. Should have probably won it in the end. 

Labelling Jacobs a terrible footballers is far stretched tbh a bad game yip all players have them but a terrible footballer have a word ffs 

Good result after a dreadful 1st half. Hopefully the changes made and the positive impact they had will start to instil some confidence in the players. Not too bothered about the fuck up at the end as it'll take time and a few hard stares from Dougie to get rid of the fear factor that has cursed our play for the past 2 seasons. 

Well done Dougie and the boys.

5 minutes ago, gmfc23 said:

Labelling Jacobs a terrible footballers is far stretched tbh a bad game yip all players have them but a terrible footballer have a word ffs 

Don't think it's far stretched at all. People who know me, know that I've never rated Jacobs. He's okay enough at nipping in at opponent's feet but apart from that he offers nothing. Maybe being a threat at the odd corner too. His short and long passing is terrible, his shooting is even worse. 

Special mention tonight though for Reece Lyon. Superb performance. 

Imrie said after the game that Oksanen has been recalled and Knowles will be returning. Highlighted before the game that he wanted a keeper. I imagine we might see a midfielder and possibly a winger coming in.

We are crying out for an attack minded wide player. Maybe in the mould of the boy who was with us under Hopkin who was on loan from The Rangers, his name escapes me as I type this.

Mcpake?

2 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Imrie said after the game that Oksanen has been recalled and Knowles will be returning. Highlighted before the game that he wanted a keeper. I imagine we might see a midfielder and possibly a winger coming in.

We are crying out for an attack minded wide player. Maybe in the mould of the boy who was with us under Hopkin who was on loan from The Rangers, his name escapes me as I type this.

1 minute ago, Doddie said:

Mcpake?

That's the one. Always wanted to take on his man and was good at driving forward. Maybe not the best at finishing or with his delivery. Reckon we could see some goals from Reilly with better service and Ugwu will bag some more along the way.

Jacobs is a ball winner. When he wins the ball, he should immediately give it to someone who can do something creative. Jacobs offers very little going forward although he does very occasionally pop up with a goal. His passing is poor, often to the opposition. I reckon in the right role he could be a decent player but with dross round him he is rather limited. We improved a lot when he went off, although that wasn’t really because of him going off but more to do with the change in shape with Muirhead adding something to our attacking strength.

Credit to Imrie for hooking Russell who was having a nightmare - caught in possession three times in dangerous positions. I hope he doesn’t lose confidence cos at least he tries to play football. Also Imrie spot on with the tactical subs which changed the game - I suspect our next game will not be a back 5 which leaves us weak in midfield.

Still bottom but not adrift. We do need wins against Queens and Dunfermline though. I am more confident under that Imrie we can start to pick up points. Beating Partick would be a good start. A couple of loan players would also be good. Maybe Imrie will tap Livi to see if we can get that Noublie guy or the other Jack Hamilton…

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, ChampTon said:

Thought Knowles went back to his parent club after getting a season ending injury? Not fussed about Oksanen leaving.. thought he looked ok when he first joined but can’t remember him doing a single thing of note. 
McPake looks to be going on loan to Salford. We do definitely need a creative midfielder/attacker though. 

9 hours ago, ChampTon said:

Quite sad to see Oksanen leave. Clearly a very talented footballer and I was hoping we would get to see him used properly by Imrie. Need to get another midfielder in who can actually pass the ball and like you said, someone direct who can play the role that Allan was expected to

A point is a decent result would have taken that before the game started. 

We do desperately need some players and creativity in though out wide and in the middle of the park. Thought we worked hard second half and dougie clearly is not afraid to make a change when he thinks it's needed. 

Only first game but positive signs going forward. 

We were up against it for long spells and Hamilton kept us in the game. I know he's had a few bloopers recently but overall he's been fantastic and was again last night. I really liked how imrie wasn't afraid to change things and also his comments after the game. Positive start from the new manager. Great header by Lithgow for the goal. 

A couple of additions to that squad and we will have a chance of pushing on. Could he doing with a winger and a striker at the very least and also a centre mid to give us options. Oliver is not a midfielder.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived