Match Preview/Thread - Kilmarnock vs Morton (29th December) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Kilmarnock vs Morton (29th December)

Admin

Hamilton could have caught it, but that's the type of thing goalkeepers at this level do all the time.

We had McAdams last season, who was pretty good at most things but hopeless with shots from distance. I often think that fans have expectations that are way too high for keepers at our level. 

Hamilton has made three really good saves so far as well. The far greater problem here is how much he's having to do. He's been the busiest keeper in the league this season, because he's got a whole load of rubbish in front of him. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russell injured or hooked for continually being caught with the ball near or on his own box?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Interested to know if Russell has an injury or if Dougie had enough of him losing possession around his own box. 

5-3-2 just isn't the answer for this squad. We need to win games to stay up and I don't see it happening as we look so lost in an attacking sense, as we have almost every time we've used it in the past 18 months. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I think blaming Hamilton for the goal is harsh, or at least missing the point. I'm not going to blame a manager 40 minutes into the job, but the main cause of that goal is the systemic issue we've had all season: regardless of whether it's in front of a back three or back four, a midfield three cannot have Gary Oliver in it, or be a two with him on front of it. If Oksanen or dare I say it Blues are in that midfield instead of Oliver, no one is getting that amount of space on the edge of our box.

Which isn't to say it's Oliver's fault either, but we should only have one of Oliver and Reilly on the park with an actual midfielder in their place.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 minute ago, dunning1874 said:

I think blaming Hamilton for the goal is harsh, or at least missing the point. I'm not going to blame a manager 40 minutes into the job, but the main cause of that goal is the systemic issue we've had all season: regardless of whether it's in front of a back three or back four, a midfield three cannot have Gary Oliver in it, or be a two with him on front of it. If Oksanen or dare I say it Blues are in that midfield instead of Oliver, no one is getting that amount of space on the edge of our box.

Which isn't to say it's Oliver's fault either, but we should only have one of Oliver and Reilly on the park with an actual midfielder in their place.

I agree with that, but you also can't really play Jacobs when playing a back three. And then there's still a real problem about getting anything from wide positions or creativity from any of our centre mids. 

We've got a squad which throws up problems all over the place. 

2 minutes ago, port-ton said:

5-3-2 just isn't the answer for this squad.

This is it, Russell was murder and Strapp going on the park was the right call, but he should have been on for a centre back (or Hynes with Ledger going to right back) with Oksanen replacing Oliver at the same time.

The only change from Arbroath being an enforced one with McLean replacing McEntee is unexpected and I hope the continuity of Millen still stinking the place out isn't going to hold Imrie back.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Poor first half, just typical of the season to date. Why do we give every team in the league so much space and as a result so many opportunities? What compounds it is we look toothless and devoid of ideas. Imrie requires to be a miracle worker to get a tune out of this squad.

We've just no idea what to do when we get possession. Killie are generally overplaying a lot and when they inevitably make a mistake we're just feeding the ball back to them.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Wonder if imrie made the decision not to play oksanen as he is going back to Brentford after this game? Could see the reasoning behind it but imo he needs to be on the pitch if fit.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

We've just no idea what to do when we get possession. Killie are generally overplaying a lot and when they inevitably make a mistake we're just feeding the ball back to them.

Bereft of a midfield…….we’re sitting far too deep, if we win the ball back it’s ‘hoppy hoof ball’ to clear the lines and giving away possession.  High balls to anywhere hasn’t worked over the last three years.  

Why is Oksanen, best footballer we have sitting keeping the bench warm…..?   

Think it's a bit harsh on Russell tbh. He was awful tonight and wouldn't have argued with him being replaced at half time as he can't be giving it away when dribbling around his box. 

That's his game though and he rarely gets dispossessed like he did tonight so subbed before half time for a like for like replacement doesn't sit well with me. 

Besides Lyon he's the one player this season who's able to get us up the pitch with the ball at his feet so I hope he's not going to be confident enough to try his dribbles going forward. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

19 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I agree with that, but you also can't really play Jacobs when playing a back three.

I’m inclined to wonder just what Jacobs brings to proceedings at all tbh. He’s just kinda…there, he never really seems to have any major influence on proceedings.

As for Russell, he can have no complaints. Awful, half-arsed performance, huge credit to Imrie for not putting up with it.

AWMSC

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I haven't really rated Oksanen in his time here. He looks like he's got decent technical ability when he gets some space in the ball, but other than that he's been too ponderous, not very creative, he ball watches too often, and has been the main culprit at a few goals recently. I feel like if he had some proper intensity to his game then he might be a decent link up player in midfield - but as it is I've struggled to really get an impression of what he's meant to offer us. 

3 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

I’m inclined to wonder just what Jacobs brings to proceedings at all tbh. He’s just kinda…there, he never really seems to have any major influence on proceedings.

As for Russell, he can have no complaints. Awful, half-arsed performance, huge credit to Imrie for not putting up with it.

Jacobs has one role he's any good at - covering in front of a back four. It's the only thing he can do, and he shouldn't be on the pitch if he's not doing that. 

Blues and Muirhead on to salvage the match. 

Hopefully we can afford to add to the squad in January cause we are going down otherwise. 

32.gif

Wow - goal. A real goal!

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived