Covid 19, 2021 Christmas Special - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Covid 19, 2021 Christmas Special

Jamie_M

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

Surely it wouldn’t be that hard to set up an online registration via Skiddle or something and have the first game first come, first served? 

As for “there’s not much else that can be done”, I would be pretty certain that nobody else will do this.

Anything that's first come, first served is going to disadvantaged some group. I'm happy they didn't go down that route in any way. This isn't as bad as the other solutions I can think of, so I'm not going to complain about that. 

12 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Ripping the life out the game by buying advertising space from clubs?  Aye right.  I don't agree with the 500 limit - for grounds like ours it could be about three times that with no distancing problems - but it's not really a party political matter.  These decisions are made on the basis of advice from people who actually have some idea what to do to suppress a pandemic even if their knowledge of lower division football stadia is a bit lacking.

For what it's worth, if the effects of this variant do turn out to be a lot milder, i think we may see things ease after the three weeks are up.  By that time the picture should be clearer. 

I think it could have been handled much better. They could have contacted the SPFL and told them to move the Premiership winter break forward or face restrictions. Then they would have been free to place lighter restrictions of lower league clubs, similar to those which were already in place in the summer. This would have been a better solution for football. When it comes down to it, the political decision-making based on the advice could be better. 

We're at a point here when the communication and planning could be so much better. This doesn't only relate to football. The biggest crime here is that they didn't see this coming. We know that variants will continue to appear, especially when richer countries are hoarding so many of the vaccines. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the days when you discussed with your mates what the attendance for the game would be announced at. Amazing how often you ended up scratching your head at the seemingly obvious under-counting. This approach to attendances is exactly what is now required - we officially report 500 but everyone who wants to attend is accommodated.

59 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Anything that's first come, first served is going to disadvantaged some group. I'm happy they didn't go down that route in any way. This isn't as bad as the other solutions I can think of, so I'm not going to complain about that. 

How does an advanced FC,FS basis disadvantage anyone?  There’s plenty of time to manage it online, and plenty of ways to do it. If the cut-off was, say, 10am on Sunday it wouldn’t take long at all to put the game on people’s cards. I’m assuming the club staff will be working that day as normal, so it’s entirely do-able.

AWMSC

14 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

How does an advanced FC,FS basis disadvantage anyone?  There’s plenty of time to manage it online, and plenty of ways to do it. If the cut-off was, say, 10am on Sunday it wouldn’t take long at all to put the game on people’s cards. I’m assuming the club staff will be working that day as normal, so it’s entirely do-able.

You'd have a load of people getting to both games and another load getting to neither. 

This way at least treats everyone somewhat equally by giving a game each. It's a bit mental but remember who's fault this is anyway. There's no reason for the govt deciding every club should be hit with this nonsense. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

10 minutes ago, GiGi said:

You'd have a load of people getting to both games and another load getting to neither. 

This way at least treats everyone somewhat equally by giving a game each. It's a bit mental but remember who's fault this is anyway. There's no reason for the govt deciding every club should be hit with this nonsense. 

No you wouldn’t, because you could then remove those names after this game, and you’d have plenty of time to organise the allocation via your own channels as the Dunfermline game is a few weeks away.

AWMSC

5 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

No you wouldn’t, because you could then remove those names after this game, and you’d have plenty of time to organise the allocation via your own channels as the Dunfermline game is a few weeks away.

Sounds like an awful lot of work to have a group of fans attend one game and then remove them from the opportunity of attending the other, when that's exactly what their original decision has done with zero effort. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

It would certainly be terrible if some poor wee soul had to put in an hour or so at most’s work to offer people a choice and to have the best chance of filling all the spaces rather than just washing their hands of it and telling people when they can and can’t go, it has to be said. It’s a lazy, half-arsed solution when there’s easy enough ways to ensure a fair split/chance over the two games  and also the ability to move any extra spaces on and possibly be able to sell a few leftover spaces.

It’s worth remembering here that it’s nobody else’s fault that the club doesn’t have a proper online ticketing system to handle situations like this.

AWMSC

Don't really see the big problem. First come first served, giving choices, etc becomes complicated and not much time to sort it. 

Anyone I know with a season ticket is fine with it so would be interesting to see how many complaining have one. We're keeping season ticket holders just about happy while keeping hospitality on and getting the money from that. I'd suggest if a ticket holder felt really strongly about it then the club might sort something (if they answer...). 

Not denying it's a minor inconvenience but the other options have negatives too. 

The club is a mess but we need to choose our battles or it does just look like moaning about everything. 

Yeah I’m struggling to think of any actual fairer way of doing this. An online scramble for tickets would mean people are likely to lose out on both, rather than being guaranteed an opportunity to attend one (And yes, there’s obviously people who can make one who can’t make the other who are getting the shite end of the stick here) but it is what it is. Playing with the crap hand we’ve been dealt.

6 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

It would certainly be terrible if some poor wee soul had to put in an hour or so at most’s work to offer people a choice and to have the best chance of filling all the spaces rather than just washing their hands of it and telling people when they can and can’t go, it has to be said. It’s a lazy, half-arsed solution when there’s easy enough ways to ensure a fair split/chance over the two games  and also the ability to move any extra spaces on and possibly be able to sell a few leftover spaces.

It’s worth remembering here that it’s nobody else’s fault that the club doesn’t have a proper online ticketing system to handle situations like this.

That’s good and all but we can’t even sell bobble hats at Christmas, so very much doubt they could implement this in the space of a few days. In this instance, I think the club have done the best given the circumstances. Of course it means I’ll have to miss the Boxing Day game, but have Ton TV to fall back on at least.

The only issue with the arrangements for the game is the main stand only nonsense. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The teuchter savages of the Highland League seem to have a different interpretation to GMFC's about the number of fans who can attend though:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/3790359/highland-league-to-continue-with-increased-covid-protocols/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

League secretary Rod Houston said: “It has just really been refreshing awareness in terms maximising mitigation.

“We’ve been checking in case there are any issues and making sure we’re all clear in terms of how we can get through the next while.

“In terms of spectator numbers we’ve had clarification and it’s 500 spectators at a game, not just 500 people.

“That makes a difference in terms of some of the bigger games in the league.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

The only issue with the arrangements for the game is the main stand only nonsense. 

Surely it would make more sense to have as many people as possible in an area where they are able to safely keep their distance from each other, and having 500 people in the Cowshed would make more sense than the stand; or even 350 in the cowshed and 150 in the stand, which would accommodate most of the regulars.

*insert signature here*

I see Cooncillor Chris of the Walloper Party is joining in on the populist bandwagon, trying in vain to salvage something from his now self-imposed unelectable situation:

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/19801612.chris-mceleny-attacks-football-crowd-restrictions/

I'm surprised that he never tried for the MCT role.  Maybe next time.

*insert signature here*

Game called off due to queen's having a covid out ream. Should make the free-for-all for tickets for Dunfermline game more fun 😂 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Here's a quandary: Can we claim back the proportion of our season ticket price due to forced non attendance? I didn't buy a season book to watch a game on TV. I've had three concerts cancelled or delayed due to the restrictions, and I've been offered my money back. Why do a football team think they're different? They are an entertainment commodity. (Entertainment in the loosest form of the word lol). 

Run Silent, Run Deep...

"Men who go to sea in Submarines are nothing but pirates in His Majesties uniform" Admiral of the Fleet Lord Jellicoe

Ayr and Kilmarnock have already agreed to reschedule their derby until February so I'm sure that MCT (football without the fans is nothing) will be doing the same for our home fixture on January 8th anyway. 

Archived