Covid 19, 2021 Christmas Special - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Covid 19, 2021 Christmas Special

Jamie_M

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disgrace. Any grants will not touch the sides for most clubs including Morton who don't have that many season ticket holders. 

The SPFL should be telling the FM to ram it unless she can make up every penny. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

So that's limited Morton fans at:

26/12     H       QOS

08/01     H       Dunfermline

Most likely no Morton fans at:

29/12     A       Kilmarnock

02/01     A       Partick

15/01      A       Ayr

And that's if they keep it at the 3 weeks...

Not to be excessively yer da here... but...

The first lockdowns made sense at the time. It seemed a sensible way of dealing with a pandemic the scope of which still wasn't well understood. It is clear now, with the benefit of a large data set from across the world and no small measure of hindsight, that it didn't really help prevent transmission, and that severity of locksdowns didn't correlate with either transmission rates or death rates in the long term. But, again, that's hindsight: it made sense to do it.

But we're now the best part of a year into a very successful mass-vaccination program, one that has contributed significantly to preventing the overloading of the health service - that, rather than case numbers in isolation, being the impetus for the lockdowns in the first place. We're also now facing what is apparently a virulent but very mild variant of the virus.

Any sober analysis has to call these two things big wins - mass vaccination has been a mitigated success, and a variant that spreads easily but results in very low hospitalization rates is, in the absence of vaccine- or acquired immunity, the best way for the virus to mutate.

So why, given that lockdowns don't actually work, and we have two very good reasons not to try them anyway, are we back to this shit?

EOho8Pw.png

An absolutely hysterical and baseless government decision, but over to the SPFL to get the games postponed. Playing for several midweeks to make the games up won't be great, but the big issue would be the Premiership and they have the sensible option of shifting the winter break - it would be workable for every other division.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Let's hope they postpone the leagues for 3 weeks, give Imrie time to settle in and maybe shake up the squad a wee bit. I'm absolutely gutted about it, and I don't think it's true right approach to take, but it might not be awful for us on the pitch if we can get the break. 

I'm trying to see the bright side but, honestly, just scunnered.  

4 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

You bring the wine, I'll bring the cheese and we'll call it a cabinet meeting

MCT members = 900 'co-owners' of the club, so they are not spectators. Their attendance can be deemed a work function for which there is evidently no rules.

Restricted to 400 spectators should be enough to pretty much cover the rest of our regular crowd.

Business as usual it is then.

Grow a pair MCT and make this happen.

3 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

An absolutely hysterical and baseless government decision, but over to the SPFL to get the games postponed. Playing for several midweeks to make the games up won't be great, but the big issue would be the Premiership and they have the sensible option of shifting the winter break - it would be workable for every other division.

Aye, think the best bet is to have a break. Games are being cancelled for players having covid too so works all round. Good for us too and allows Imrie to settle. 

I caught covid at the last Scotland game (or assume it was there anyway since don't do anything else that week) and wasn't in a good way despite having the vaccines. Quite a few in my work with similar stories too so, with the new varient being more transmissible and cases shooting up, I can see why larger events have taken the hit. Might have turned out the deaths and hospitalisations didn't go up at all but would have been a gamble. 

The announcement is a bit short notice but if games can be delayed and we're avoiding major restrictions I can live with that. 

2 hours ago, Ton in Shawlands said:

Currently isolating, wasn't great myself last week despite 3 jabs & having had it in July (when, unlike last week, I'd no symptoms). I get why they're doing this, the data isn't in on this variant, it's just got here & it's spreading fast.

Unless this has mutated in a truly horrifying and novel fashion, this variant's extremely mild, hence despite the huge number of cases in South Africa their deaths have, pardon the expression, flatlined. So far in the US there are no confirmed deaths from Omicron and under ten speculated deaths, and it's been here for weeks.

Restrictions on outdoor events are a complete nonsense in light of the above and the fact that they demonstrably didn't even work last time we tried them.

At some point people less insane than myself are just going to start ignoring the public health experts who are pushing this stuff, and when that happens it's bad news for all of us because next time a lockdown might actually be required. But they're spending their credibility on a variant that, if the South African figures are reliable, is really an answer to our prayers: high transmissibility, but low hospitalization and even lower deaths. That means a spell of natural immunity for those who get it without too many ill effects in the vast majority of people.

If COVID is going to be with us forever, this is exactly what you want it to look like. Yet here we are, back in the time machine, flattering the curve for two more eternal weeks. (Or rather, here you are. Where I live, in a very left-wing neighborhood, even here they've given up all pretense of caring. Mask mandates aren't enforced and nobody's distancing.)

EOho8Pw.png

9 hours ago, Ton in Shawlands said:

Currently isolating, wasn't great myself last week despite 3 jabs & having had it in July (when, unlike last week, I'd no symptoms). I get why they're doing this, the data isn't in on this variant, it's just got here & it's spreading fast.

Then they could have closed the schools that have been churning out most infections until 'the data is in', as opposed to outdoor events based on nothing more than their upper middle class snobbery. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived