Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (18th December) - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (18th December)

Admin

4 hours ago, HeidTheBaw said:

Sorry, first time I’ve been on in months as I really only check the forum when I’m looking for news.

Imrie looks an improvement over McPherson certainly.

In terms of the league the difference between the managers is going from 8th to 7th, not drastic, but I think poor refereeing decisions have cost us about 7-9 points in the past month, so we should be higher. 
Taking the last couple of games out the equation, the difference on the park is more obvious. Even if yesterday was rank rotten. 

Hopefully next season is more of an improvement when he brings his own players in. The signings of Wilson and Brandon are hopefully an indication that Imrie has a good eye for a player.

The last 2 games we’ve looked as bad as we were at the start of the season, creating very little. I hope it’s not a sign the initial bump from getting Dougie in is wearing off, I don’t think it is.

Generally I’m not a fan of hysterical and extreme opinions. It’s probably a social media/online thing. Fans argue with complete strangers and in order to be heard need to be more vocal and extreme in putting across their views, or maybe even post shit in the heat of the moment, which we’ve all done, that said in a face to face conversation on that day it would be forgotten about, but online it’s permanent. Then it becomes about standing by an argument and that argument defines the person who is making it and folk talk to one another in a way they never would in person, because they’d get gubbed. It’s a bit draining reading folk moaning every week and then getting wide when someone posts something they don’t like, again something they’d never do in the cowshed in person. There’s a lot folk I talk to don’t come on here for that reason.

I look at McPherson as a manager who has proven himself at other clubs. Predictably some fans were pretty vocal against Gus from the moment he was appointed, whether that’s down to him being ex st mirren or just because he’s older, I’m not sure. But he was up against it from day 1 and it’s hard for a team to perform when there’s no support from the stands. You could see it in the demeanour of a few of the players.

I cannae be bothered with the modern trait of wanting a manager bagged as soon as things stop going well, or a club goes through a bad patch. Hearing/reading St Johnstone fans looking for Callum Davidson to be sacked the season after winning two cups gives me the boak. Pure thick as fuck wee guy patter. 
It can take time for a manger to make a mark or turn things round.
I’d have given McPherson until the end of the season, whether that would have resulted in relegation I don’t know. It’s just how I prefer to see things done. 
He was told the target was to stay up and he was sacked while outside the relegation zone. 

I’ve enjoyed the football more since the change in manager though. I’ve also enjoyed the fans getting behind the team more. 

Long winded response, but I’m hungover. To answer your question directly, was I wrong? Probably.

But I still don’t like seeing a manager getting sacked less than a year into an appointment, after scraping a team together in 1 transfer window. 

You paint yourself as this above-it-all super-moderate but your contention was that the budget was "hopeless" - an extreme opinion in itself - and consequently that the squad was hopeless. Poor benighted Gus has a hopeless budget, there's no hope, to scrape 9th and beat part-time teams in the playoffs is actually good, presumably, because of that hopelessness. For one thing, that's an extreme opinion, for another it's profoundly disrespectful to the players, many of whom are actually very good (e.g. Strapp, Hamilton on his day) and whom any halfway decent manager can get a tune out of.

You're obsessed with this "wee guy" patter even while you're calling seasoned professional players hopeless. I'm not sure what manager gave you the time of day at a golf club dinner once but I assure you, it's in no way big man behavior to want these guys in a job for life while calling their players hopeless. Most of them would probably find that pretty disrespectful to guys they work with day in, day out.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

You paint yourself as this above-it-all super-moderate but your contention was that the budget was "hopeless" - an extreme opinion in itself - and consequently that the squad was hopeless. Poor benighted Gus has a hopeless budget, there's no hope, to scrape 9th and beat part-time teams in the playoffs is actually good, presumably, because of that hopelessness. For one thing, that's an extreme opinion, for another it's profoundly disrespectful to the players, many of whom are actually very good (e.g. Strapp, Hamilton on his day) and whom any halfway decent manager can get a tune out of.

You're obsessed with this "wee guy" patter even while you're calling seasoned professional players hopeless. I'm not sure what manager gave you the time of day at a golf club dinner once but I assure you, it's in no way big man behavior to want these guys in a job for life while calling their players hopeless. Most of them would probably find that pretty disrespectful to guys they work with day in, day out.

To be honest, I don’t remember calling the players hopeless. If you are saying I did, then maybe I did, but it doesn’t seem like the sort of thing I’d say. 

Its pretty mild compared to what some of the posters on here use to describe the players, particularly VT who is probably the person who has green dotted your post.

Ive taken the time to reply to your question earlier and to explain where I was coming from. I’m not really wanting a back and forth on here, Ive given you my opinion. 

Im only going to be on here to see what’s happening with the manager and players/new signings. 

21 hours ago, HeidTheBaw said:

In terms of the league the difference between the managers is going from 8th to 7th, not drastic

I look at McPherson as a manager who has proven himself at other clubs. Predictably some fans were pretty vocal against Gus from the moment he was appointed, whether that’s down to him being ex st mirren or just because he’s older, I’m not sure. But he was up against it from day 1 and it’s hard for a team to perform when there’s no support from the stands. You could see it in the demeanour of a few of the players.

I cannae be bothered with the modern trait of wanting a manager bagged as soon as things stop going well, or a club goes through a bad patch.

We took 13 points from 16 games under MacPherson this season. Imrie has 27 from 17. It is an absolutely drastic turnaround. MacPherson was on points per game record the worst manager in 20 years - Imrie is the best in 14, or comparing to second tier records only the best in 38. MacPherson managed 3 wins in his 24 league games in charge over both seasons he was here. It took Imrie 5 games to get there.

I agree some fans did have an issue with the St Mirren connection, although I wasn't one of them. I don't agree that meant he was up against it from the start due to a lack of support though: when he failed by taking us into the playoffs last season with only 1 win in 8, they were playing in empty stadiums, the boo boy argument simply can't stand in those circumstances. He didn't get the results because he's a poor manager whose successes are in the distant past.

The club weren't going through one bad patch under him; his entire time in charge was bad. The thing the club got wrong was not sacking him months earlier.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

We took 13 points from 16 games under MacPherson this season. Imrie has 27 from 17. It is an absolutely drastic turnaround. MacPherson was on points per game record the worst manager in 20 years - Imrie is the best in 14, or comparing to second tier records only the best in 38. MacPherson managed 3 wins in his 24 league games in charge over both seasons he was here. It took Imrie 5 games to get there.

I agree some fans did have an issue with the St Mirren connection, although I wasn't one of them. I don't agree that meant he was up against it from the start due to a lack of support though: when he failed by taking us into the playoffs last season with only 1 win in 8, they were playing in empty stadiums, the boo boy argument simply can't stand in those circumstances. He didn't get the results because he's a poor manager whose successes are in the distant past.

The club weren't going through one bad patch under him; his entire time in charge was bad. The thing the club got wrong was not sacking him months earlier.

It's funny that some people refuse to be influenced by facts and prefer to bang out the same ludicrous tripe rather than accept they've made a complete cunt of themselves.

1 hour ago, TaunTon said:

It's funny that some people refuse to be influenced by facts and prefer to bang out the same ludicrous tripe rather than accept they've made a complete cunt of themselves.

You have to laugh at folk who wish to rewrite history while forgetting the internet tends to keep a copy of their ramblings as to why they loved Gus and he was not the problem. 

The situations of the two managers are very comparable too, it's not like we're talking to vastly different sets of circumstance.

The whole point of Gus was to be an experienced head who tightened things up etc, that's what he was meant to be all about as manager and on the face of it it wasn't a terrible appointment at the time even if it was rather unexpected, and he just utterly failed to do what he has brought in to do. There's no way we should have dropped to 9th last season, not when we brought in a manager to avoid just that. To hell with surviving the play-offs, it was a failure even being in them.

Imrie, on the other hand, has came in and done the job he was meant to do and, to at least some extent ,done it the manner that Gus was making a cunt of trying to. The big differences, aside from Dougie actually making a good job of it, are that for starters Imrie evidently isn't doing what he wants to do with his team, he's doing what he's realised needs to be done with what he has which is impressive in itself; also, Gus assembled this squad and was patently incapable of doing anything other than getting relegated with it. Just look at Lithgow under compared to under Imrie: the improvement is a direct result of good management and organisation, it's not just some weird quirk of fate; it's happened because there's a manager that's good at his job.

There's just no argument at all for MacPherson being hard done by, nor for trying to say Imrie isn't a huge, huge upgrade.

AWMSC

6 hours ago, TaunTon said:

BTW, I think some folk getting me confused with another poster on here with a similar user name. There was a golf club comment aimed at me the other day there as well which I’ve seen aimed at a guy on here on the past with a similar user name, who used to be called Dr Zhivago before that. 

I rarely post on here and although I know I put a handful of posts up when McPherson got sacked and said I’d have given him more time, and I posted something about Dick Campbell probably wouldn’t be given time here either (because he’s an auld guy), and I did say something about I’d rather have McPherson than Imrie (because I don’t like untried managers - which in hindsight was obviously wrong assuming next season goes well) but I’ve hardly been frothing at the mouth in my defence of Gus McPherson ffs.

I don’t like seeing managers getting sacked without being given a full season. I don’t think that’s overly controversial an opinion to hold. 

Regardless, gie it a rest with the personal pish.  

32 minutes ago, HeidTheBaw said:

BTW, I think some folk getting me confused with another poster on here with a similar user name. There was a golf club comment aimed at me the other day there as well which I’ve seen aimed at a guy on here on the past with a similar user name, who used to be called Dr Zhivago before that. 

I rarely post on here and although I know I put a handful of posts up when McPherson got sacked and said I’d have given him more time, and I posted something about Dick Campbell probably wouldn’t be given time here either (because he’s an auld guy), and I did say something about I’d rather have McPherson than Imrie (because I don’t like untried managers - which in hindsight was obviously wrong assuming next season goes well) but I’ve hardly been frothing at the mouth in my defence of Gus McPherson ffs.

I don’t like seeing managers getting sacked without being given a full season. I don’t think that’s overly controversial an opinion to hold. 

Regardless, gie it a rest with the personal pish.  

I refer you to my previous comment.

It's fine not to want a manager sacked unless he's given a full season, but in my opinion you need to weigh it up against other things. Dropping into League One - as we may very well have done under Gus (I can see a case for us finishing 9th, but 10th was more likely) will cause knock-on effects elsewhere at the club. Some of the players might drop out of the full time game. Maybe some cutbacks have to take place elsewhere in the club as a result of the lower prize money, lower gates etc. These might well be balanced out by whoever comes up via the playoffs in this scenario (eg if Airdrie beat us they could push the boat out a little), but I'm worried about Morton, not about them. In other words, if you think stability and time as valuable per se, fine - but in my opinion if you're not balancing them against the welfare of the entire club, that's a mistake. At the end of the day, Gus had a terrible record as Morton manager, and Imrie with a similar set of resources has been literally twice as good, therefore basically letting our league chances rot would have been great for Gus but poor for Morton, and the interest of Morton beats that of the manager every single time. 

EOho8Pw.png

Archived