Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (18th December) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (18th December)

Admin

1 hour ago, standman said:

Why was Muirhead hounded at full time? Looks like he was only on park six minutes? 

It's almost as if the fanbase are not goldfish and can actually remember that pellet trying to give it big licks to the boo boys in the previous two games. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Why the fuck are folk now questioning McPherson's sacking? It was absolutely the right thing to do. The next appointment is going to be massive for this club and hopefully it's the right one.

The revisionist clowns who reckon that Gus should have kept his job are the reason why we can't have nice things at this football club. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

50 minutes ago, HeidTheBaw said:

I’d agree, if we weren’t inevitably on the cusp of appointing another mediocre manager, to come in and start again with a pretty limited group of players and zero budget to do anything about it. 

McPherson wasn’t exactly pulling up trees, and would never be my first choice - but despite being another manager who has had to pull together a team that compliments each other over the summer, try to make them gel and hope for the best - at least he a could organise a team and despite the lack of wins, every week I felt we were in with a chance of taking something from the game. 

What have we achieved so far by sacking him?
The game against Inverness was fucking nauseating and for the first time in 2 years I missed today’s game, not through being too busy but because I couldn’t be arsed - I knew we had no chance of winning, regardless of Arbroath missing 6 players and their management team. The club is a fucking shambles because they shat themselves at a bit of noise from the fans. 

A bit of continuity wouldn’t go amiss. Arbroath are clearly reaping the benefits from that. 

As for Wright getting the sack, it’s just as ridiculous. I’ve got no time for this knee jerk pish. It’s pure wee guy stuff. 

I’d take Wright as manager in a heartbeat over every other name I’ve seen mentioned. 
Maybe they’ll surprise us but I have serious doubts,  you gave me a choice between Darren Young, Dougie Imrie and Gus McPherson I’d choose Gus McPherson.

Rajamaki feels like a romantic option that could go fucking anywhere; guy has been out of management for years and I’m not sure where we find the contacts for players given he’s not been in scotland for decades. 

The bit in bold - pick up the phone and speak to people.  It is easy.  Go to a few games etc.  It's not fucking rocket science and everyone is got to start at sometime. 

*insert signature here*

Arbroath are currently achieving exactly what MCT should be aiming to replicate. A squad of likeable players - not useless, Herbalife salesmen jobbers - being funded by a sustainable base of community support. 

This shitshow of a squad is doomed to relegation and rightly so. We should have broken the entire first team operation apart last season, regardless of the play-off. Instead we rewarded failure and here we are in a far worse off position now.

1 hour ago, HeidTheBaw said:

I’m questioning the sacking because we were 8th and in with a pack of another 4 teams forming the bottom 5, 2 of them on a similarly hopeless budget. 

Right, first of all, nobody who has Morton's future at heart is questioning Gus's sacking, he HAD to go and if you think otherwise you are definitely in a very small minority.

Secondly, the team is rotten through and through and if you think happy clapping this bunch of Frauds and Charlatans into League 1 is a good thing, well just...WOW!

And then we come to today. According to the tannoy guy at the game there were 82 Ton fans there, massive applause to all of us who managed to see about a third of the game before the fog rolled in. Even when we scored we couldn't be sure until we saw the players come back to our half for the kick off.

Been going to Cappielow since 1966 and can honestly say that this is the worst group of Morton players that I have had the misfortune to pay money to watch and beelin' that they refuse to acknowledge the fans at home, and even more so away from home.

Massive thanks to my son Keir who drove up and back in horrendous conditions. 

Where this season went wrong was that on maintaining our championship status almost by fluking it - thanks to that McGuffie goal - we should have started from the fact that Gus failed rather than succeeded. He should have been told he wasn’t getting a new contract. The Muiheads, Blues etc. should have been released when their contracts expired, and a new manager sought. The 2 year contract for Gus led to the 2 year contract for Lithgow which still hangs round our neck like an albatross. The people who actually made these decisions should not be sitting on the board just because nepotism or cronyism. A board of directors should take responsibility and in our current plight should each consider their position. Are they there to make sensible decisions or are they there for personal self-aggrandisement, a wee dram at half time and a free pie? I maintain that no sensible person would have made a financially disastrous decision to award two year contracts to Gus or Lithgow (who is utterly hopeless now). Hold your hands up and if you think you have made calamitous decisions, admit it and do the decent thing. Few will hold it against you as these decisions were not easy or simple. They will however be slow to forget if you don’t try to mitigate the damage.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

It’s one thing at this level to hand multi-year deals to the likes of Ledger, Strapp, Lyon etc who, whilst they haven’t exactly been scintillating the last few years, have demonstrated can cut it at this level, and still have some room to grow. 

Lithgow of a couple of seasons ago would’ve been a tremendous bit of on-field business for us, however after the time he missed, and the fact he’d only be getting older, we had to be cautious. Safe to say, we were not.

And whilst I recognise interfering in manager business and ultimately undermining them is never a good thing, someone really should’ve stepped in to stop us committing to a player that could quite easily have been finished. 

6 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

It’s one thing at this level to hand multi-year deals to the likes of Ledger, Strapp, Lyon etc who, whilst they haven’t exactly been scintillating the last few years, have demonstrated can cut it at this level, and still have some room to grow. 

Lithgow of a couple of seasons ago would’ve been a tremendous bit of on-field business for us, however after the time he missed, and the fact he’d only be getting older, we had to be cautious. Safe to say, we were not.

And whilst I recognise interfering in manager business and ultimately undermining them is never a good thing, someone really should’ve stepped in to stop us committing to a player that could quite easily have been finished. 

A few years ago he was still a pervert, with the previous convictions to prove it.  Regardless of how good a player he is or was, there was other options available - for instance - Gavin Gunning.  It was a signing which reeked of desperation, and one which now we rue the day he signed for Morton, not least because his current attitude confirms that he is definitely a wrong'un.

*insert signature here*

2 hours ago, HeidTheBaw said:

I’m questioning the sacking because we were 8th and in with a pack of another 4 teams forming the bottom 5, 2 of them on a similarly hopeless budget. 

Are you seriously saying that you wanted McPherson to stay?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

2 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I'm of the opinion that Gus McPherson was probably the right man for the wrong team.  Maybe even for the wrong club.  The signing of Lithgow is a big blot on his copy book though, as any manager who would allow that into their dressing room needs to have a word with themselves.

*insert signature here*

2 hours ago, capitanus said:

A few years ago he was still a pervert, with the previous convictions to prove it.  Regardless of how good a player he is or was, there was other options available - for instance - Gavin Gunning.  It was a signing which reeked of desperation, and one which now we rue the day he signed for Morton, not least because his current attitude confirms that he is definitely a wrong'un.

Yes, that’s why I said “on-field business” I wouldn’t have signed him regardless of how well he’d done, and especially not as the very first marquee signing of a new regime. 

14 hours ago, standman said:

Why was Muirhead hounded at full time? Looks like he was only on park six minutes? 

Muirhead and Lithgow have made themselves targets with their own behaviour now. They're going to get criticism every time there's a bad result regardless of their contribution to it on the day, and they've no one else to blame for it; this is simply the consequences of their own actions.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

10 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Unless the club had someone decent in mind already, which they clearly don’t; I’d have given him longer. 

Their target was to stay up, we were in 8th, the sacking makes no sense based on the goal set. 

If we go down this season we won’t be back in the championship for a while. McPherson knows how to keep a team up. 
He has a better CV than the names being touted to replace him. 

This next appointment is going to impact the future of the club for the next few years, they better get it right. 

23 minutes ago, HeidTheBaw said:

Unless the club had someone decent in mind already, which they clearly don’t; I’d have given him longer. 

Their target was to stay up, we were in 8th, the sacking makes no sense based on the goal set. 

If we go down this season we won’t be back in the championship for a while. McPherson knows how to keep a team up. 

This next appointment is going to impact the future of the club for the next few years, they better get it right. 

He had to go but the aim of 8th was a stupid thing to say. We all know that we weren't going to win the league but at least just say we're aiming to finish as high up the table as possible or something. 

There should have been a lot of positivity just as a result of new ownership but that was killed far too quickly by saying things like that. 

Even the lack of discussion on a new manager hasn't helped. Wouldn't it really hurt for someone from the club to say we expect better or something so the fans have a bit more confidence in them. 

34 minutes ago, HeidTheBaw said:

8th was also the target when Gus was hired. That was missed. After surviving the play-offs he should have been thanked for his efforts in his short time with the club then allowed to mosey on out.

14 hours ago, Tubes said:

This needs fucking sorted because we are on the cusp of humped. Currently nowhere good enough on all levels at the club. 

Glad the Raes are out but this is absolutely brutal and it just feels like we are completely out of our depth. Not inspired by this MCT director vote either. 

Me neither.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

With the current lack of direction and a squad, who clearly would prefer to be playing elsewhere, we look destined for relegation. No-one else to blame for this debacle than MCT. This season was always going to be a challenge but the least MCT could have done was to take some pride and belief in being Morton.  Instead MCT appoint yet another manager who talks up every other side in the division while talking Morton down. Is it any wonder fans are frustrated - where is the hope and buy-in? As for the players, the petted-lip approach to fan criticism suggests an upturn in performance and results is unlikely even with a new manager.  

5 hours ago, HeidTheBaw said:

Despite the fact he's been relegated twice with Queen of the South and Queen's Park.

Sorry, we're in this mess because of McPherson. His team, recruitment and strategy have led to this.

His whole attitude was wrong. We're trying, we're competing, too many away games, the boys are working hard blah blah blah. He wasn't doing us a favour, he was being paid to do a job and I for one found his weekly interviews turgid. No enthusiasm, no excitement and no positivity. He tried to develop this siege mentality but all he succeeded in doing was driving a wedge between the players and fans.

He was a horrible appointment, he stayed a horrible appointment and I'll remember him as fondly as Ray McKinnon 

Archived