Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (18th December) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (18th December)

Admin

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lithgow and Muirhead took an absolute fucking hounding at full time there. If they both ask to be released from their contracts in January because they're so tired of this unfair treatment, every fan who shouted anything should be awarded a season ticket for life.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Wonder how it will be the fans fault that we blooter the ball unchallenged off our own defender right in to the path of an opposition striker with a free shot at goal. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Hate to say this but Arbroath are really what we should be aspiring to be as a club and a team. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

47 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Hate to say this but Arbroath are really what we should be aspiring to be as a club and a team. 

At this stage I'd take Ayr. Not asking to be top of the league. Asking to have a general fucking clue what we're doing.

EOho8Pw.png

16 minutes ago, HeidTheBaw said:

Dick Campbell wouldn’t have got this long at Morton, fans would be screaming for him to be sacked after 6 months. 

Is your contention that Gus McPherson should have got longer in the job?

EOho8Pw.png

Also where's this conspiracy theory even coming from?

Duffy's time was up and he had four years - two of which were very good, the last of which wasn't.

McKinnon left for a better offer elsewhere.

Johansson was absolutely terrible and got a big club relegated on his return to Finland, and he and Houston left coz of a falling-out with Crawford over fielding Charlie Telfer due to his extension clause.

Hopkin left and was replaced with a fitness coach because of a falling-out with Crawford over Hopkin's massively bloated squad on the one hand and Crawford's unwillingness to allow that squad to be rebuilt on the other.

And then there was Gus, who was mathematically among the worst managers of the modern era.

If the fans were responsible for a single one of those it's Gus, and it's a damn good thing they were, too.

EOho8Pw.png

I've said this on another thread but this "Morton fans are the worst" pish really annoys me. It's simply not true. I often go to games with friend so sit in the home end of several other clubs. All fans voice their dissatisfaction when things aren't working. I hear it at premiership clubs and lower leagues alike.

We've not had more managers than most other comparable teams and if you want an example of impatience, Tommy Wright got booted today sitting 5 points off top with a game in hand. I'd keep an eye on the Ayr United Twitter feed too, suspect JD will face a similar fate very soon.

What should we do? Accept mediocrity and go home happy we're bottom of the league? Clap the message that this good group of boys are working hard? 

Not for me, sorry 

1 hour ago, HeidTheBaw said:

Dick Campbell wouldn’t have got this long at Morton, fans would be screaming for him to be sacked after 6 months. 

You can tell that the reality you've created in your head doesn't exist, because if the Morton fanbase actually held the Italian ultra like sway over the club you seem to believe in then sycophants like you would have been tarred and feathered before being launched in the Clyde decades ago.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

It does bother me how we are being portrayed as 'the big bad' by some. Anyone involved with a football club on and off the field must know that they will rightly recieve credit when things go well and criticism when they don't.  Supporting a football team brings out a lot of emotions in fans as we care so much. Yes sometimes we get carried away and sometimes what is said and done can be a little  over the top. However I wouldn't say we have unrealistic expectations. We are looking for the basics to be done right on and off the field which enables us to have a professional football team that is ran properly.

1 minute ago, dunning1874 said:

You can tell that the reality you've created in your head doesn't exist, because if the Morton fanbase actually held the Italian ultra like sway over the club you seem to believe in then sycophants like you would have been tarred and feathered before being launched in the Clyde decades ago.

Sounds like a plan.

This needs fucking sorted because we are on the cusp of humped. Currently nowhere good enough on all levels at the club. 

Glad the Raes are out but this is absolutely brutal and it just feels like we are completely out of our depth. Not inspired by this MCT director vote either. 

4 minutes ago, MarTon80 said:

I've said this on another thread but this "Morton fans are the worst" pish really annoys me. It's simply not true. I often go to games with friend so sit in the home end of several other clubs. All fans voice their dissatisfaction when things aren't working. I hear it at premiership clubs and lower leagues alike.

We've not had more managers than most other comparable teams and if you want an example of impatience, Tommy Wright got booted today sitting 5 points off top with a game in hand. I'd keep an eye on the Ayr United Twitter feed too, suspect JD will face a similar fate very soon.

What should we do? Accept mediocrity and go home happy we're bottom of the league? Clap the message that this good group of boys are working hard? 

Not for me, sorry 

I’d agree, if we weren’t inevitably on the cusp of appointing another mediocre manager, to come in and start again with a pretty limited group of players and zero budget to do anything about it. 

McPherson wasn’t exactly pulling up trees, and would never be my first choice - but despite being another manager who has had to pull together a team that compliments each other over the summer, try to make them gel and hope for the best - at least he a could organise a team and despite the lack of wins, every week I felt we were in with a chance of taking something from the game. 

What have we achieved so far by sacking him?
The game against Inverness was fucking nauseating and for the first time in 2 years I missed today’s game, not through being too busy but because I couldn’t be arsed - I knew we had no chance of winning, regardless of Arbroath missing 6 players and their management team. The club is a fucking shambles because they shat themselves at a bit of noise from the fans. 

A bit of continuity wouldn’t go amiss. Arbroath are clearly reaping the benefits from that. 

As for Wright getting the sack, it’s just as ridiculous. I’ve got no time for this knee jerk pish. It’s pure wee guy stuff. 

I’d take Wright as manager in a heartbeat over every other name I’ve seen mentioned. 
Maybe they’ll surprise us but I have serious doubts,  you gave me a choice between Darren Young, Dougie Imrie and Gus McPherson I’d choose Gus McPherson.

Rajamaki feels like a romantic option that could go fucking anywhere; guy has been out of management for years and I’m not sure where we find the contacts for players given he’s not been in scotland for decades. 

9 minutes ago, HeidTheBaw said:

McPherson wasn’t exactly pulling up trees, and would never be my first choice - but despite being another manager who has had to pull together a team that compliments each other over the summer, try to make them gel and hope for the best - at least he a could organise a team and despite the lack of wins, every week I felt we were in with a chance of taking something from the game. 

This is exactly the kind of rubbish thinking that needs to be emptied from the club ASAP. All this stuff about 'in with a chance' and 'fine margins'. It's the job of the manager to actually get those things, not be in with a chance of them.

Most teams in this division build at least half their starting line-up every summer.

Most teams in this division don't have an ideal squad make-up.

Most teams in this division have to get a disparate group of players to gel - and some of them don't even have full-time training as an option to do so.

Clubs that only focus on hard-luck stories do badly. Ourselves, Falkirk (until the recent boardroom overhaul) and Dunfermline are all in a mess in large part because the people responsible for consistently failing cannot look inward and can instead only focus on bad luck and difficult circumstances. Winners just get on with it. We need winners in charge, not losers.

The game against Inverness was fucking nauseating and for the first time in 2 years I missed today’s game, not through being too busy but because I couldn’t be arsed - I knew we had no chance of winning, regardless of Arbroath missing 6 players and their management team. The club is a fucking shambles because they shat themselves at a bit of noise from the fans. 

Aye, if only Gus, with his zero wins against Arbroath in his Morton career, was still here. Then we'd have... not won, but not won with a guy you like in the dugout? 

For what it's worth, though, I agree that the club is rudderless about the manager situation. They wanted "stability" (what does this actually mean, and why?) and said they didn't have money to change the managerial team and the aim was survival... now we're no closer to survival but we bagged the manager. I've been banging on about this for weeks: what do they, the Board, actually want from a manager? I don't think they know, and I don't think they know enough to ask the question, which is how they ended up with a loser like Gus in the first place, because they wanted someone who'd give them the time of day and help prop up their delusions about how difficult life is at Morton compared to everywhere else in Scottish football. They'd never admit it but that's obviously what happened. So are they going to look for a different set of qualities in a new manager, or just "be like the last guy only with occasionally"?

EOho8Pw.png

Why the fuck are folk now questioning McPherson's sacking? It was absolutely the right thing to do. The next appointment is going to be massive for this club and hopefully it's the right one.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Why the fuck are folk now questioning McPherson's sacking? It was absolutely the right thing to do. The next appointment is going to be massive for this club and hopefully it's the right one.

I’m questioning the sacking because we were 8th and in with a pack of another 4 teams forming the bottom 5, 2 of them on a similarly hopeless budget. 

Archived