McPherson sacked - Page 15 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

McPherson sacked

TRVMP

I’m willing to give Millen a wee bit of time to demonstrate that Gus was the problem. If Imrie turns things round and Millen gets with the new zeitgeist, maybe it could be a win-win situation. Now let’s go out there and give Queens a doing on Sunday.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

While a manager talking about desire, commitment and getting fans onside can sometimes come over a bit John Hughes, in the context of what's going on with this squad that's exactly what we needed to hear from the manager.

As a general rule I’m always wary of anyone who trades on being “passionate” or “no nonsense” or whatever as it’s usually a round about way of saying they’re not actually that good, but in the case of this appointment it was absolutely crucial to get someone with a really determined, uncompromising mentality and I think that’s exactly what we have with Imrie. Only time will tell how it pans out, but there’s been very few Morton players who I’ve admired as much as I do with Imrie for how he performed and carried himself in his season with us: it would have been so easy for him to have just made a token effort and still stand out in that team, even easier to have just went through the motions, but he took it upon himself, almost singlehandly, to try to keep us up in a way that very few players would be capable of. That wasn’t just running about a lot, it was a really exceptional level of determination and desire to succeed that makes you fancy he‘s got the mentality and strength of character to excel in whatever he sets his mind to. Plus, just think how much we all hated him playing against us over the years. That’s something this club desperately needs, more than ever.

Only time will tell what he’s capable of as a manager but if he stays true to himself then I think we can be quite optimistic about him. He’s already directly challenged not only the players but the staff too about their mindset, you don’t do that on day one unless you mean business. I’m quietly excited by the prospect of his reign, we need somebody who’s going to set high standards and I don’t think we’ll get anyone better to do it.

AWMSC

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

As a general rule I’m always wary of anyone who trades on being “passionate” or “no nonsense” or whatever as it’s usually a round about way of saying they’re not actually that good, but in the case of this appointment it was absolutely crucial to get someone with a really determined, uncompromising mentality and I think that’s exactly what we have with Imrie. Only time will tell how it pans out, but there’s been very few Morton players who I’ve admired as much as I do with Imrie for how he performed and carried himself in his season with us: it would have been so easy for him to have just made a token effort and still stand out in that team, even easier to have just went through the motions, but he took it upon himself, almost singlehandly, to try to keep us up in a way that very few players would be capable of. That wasn’t just running about a lot, it was a really exceptional level of determination and desire to succeed that makes you fancy he‘s got the mentality and strength of character to excel in whatever he sets his mind to. Plus, just think how much we all hated him playing against us over the years. That’s something this club desperately needs, more than ever.

Only time will tell what he’s capable of as a manager but if he stays true to himself then I think we can be quite optimistic about him. He’s already directly challenged not only the players but the staff too about their mindset, you don’t do that on day one unless you mean business. I’m quietly excited by the prospect of his reign, we need somebody who’s going to set high standards and I don’t think we’ll get anyone better to do it.

Couldn't have put it better myself. There are people out there who get a reputation for being "passionate" when they're really just belligerent arseholes. Then there are people who truly merit it. On the pitch, Imrie was one of those. Apparently he was also a success story with the Livingston academy. I hope for his sake as much as ours that he can make a go of it as a manager because there's no doubting his work ethic or his dedication.

EOho8Pw.png

He's also had another interview today where he was reaffirming the points about needing to see effort from the players as the minimum acceptable and wanting to get the fans onside.

It also had the quote "Draws are of no use to us at this point of the season, we need to be getting ourselves consecutive three points as quickly as possible and propelling ourselves as far up the table as we can."

What a refreshing thing to hear after Gus 'we've only lost one of the last six' (said when we were 10 games without a win) MacPherson. It might only be talk, but it's such a huge attitude shift after hearing years of talking Morton down from the likes of Hopkin and Johansson.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Also talk of staying up this season so we can challenge next. When was the last time we heard anyone immediately set out promotion as a target we need to aim for?

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived