McPherson sacked - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

McPherson sacked

TRVMP

Totally agree with everyone saying this needs done sooner rather than later. Appointing the new manager this week would give him some time to assess the squad, hopefully have an impact on the queen's game and then get the ball rolling on doing a 'Jack Ross' in January with the squad.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel the delay, specifically until the turn of the year, will be related to the fact the new Manager will need to be given the responsibility for getting players in and out in the transfer window. I’d imagine the Board and MCT will be looking a lessons learned from lazily dishing out 2 year deals with due diligence. So these issues will be quite crucial now as they can’t keep making those sort of decisions without a trusted Manager in place.

30 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I feel the delay, specifically until the turn of the year, will be related to the fact the new Manager will need to be given the responsibility for getting players in and out in the transfer window. I’d imagine the Board and MCT will be looking a lessons learned from lazily dishing out 2 year deals with due diligence. So these issues will be quite crucial now as they can’t keep making those sort of decisions without a trusted Manager in place.

The problem for me is where is the experienced 'football' input to the process? The previous appointment reeked of well-intentioned amateur fans making decisions they are not qualified to make.

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Totally agree with everyone saying this needs done sooner rather than later. Appointing the new manager this week would give him some time to assess the squad, hopefully have an impact on the queen's game and then get the ball rolling on doing a 'Jack Ross' in January with the squad.

Two ways to look at it though, particularly after recent appointments.

We don't want a rushed decision just for the sake of getting someone in the door. 

It looks like they have their own preferred choices, but if they either, aren't interested, don't apply, or if they are currently with another club, compensation or a buy out would no doubt apply.

Can't help but think, regardless of their performance so far, the board are between a rock and a hard place here.

If bagging Gus was on the cards for a week or so prior to the Ayr game, there's every chance the target falls to into one of the above categories.

Although, I agree, we need someone in before the Queen's game.

A massive punt and about as tough a job for your first managerial gig as you could imagine, but much prefer it over the other names linked that have either done nothing at this level, or not much below it. 

Beyond his status here, he does seem to be a very well regarded youth coach, and Livingston fans aren’t too happy about losing him. 

Good luck Dougie. Turn this shitshow around and I don’t think a statue’s in doubt. 

Darren Young (can’t recall if he was even linked with us tbh) is the new Stirling Albion manager.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I for one welcome our new throat stomping overlord. 

Efe Ambrose first signing hopefully to get the gang back together. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Yeah of all the names mentioned, he was one I would be relatively happy with.  Not desperate for a job like the out of work managers, could easily sit at Livvy probably earning a decent salary and have a comfy life but clearly ambitious and wants a crack at management knowing it's a gamble so shows the character he has 

Doubt it will please everyone but could have been a lot worse.

As everyone else says this could go disastrously wrong, we have no way of knowing - but there is no denying that Imrie is a respected figure both at Morton and elsewhere and has always been a grafter.

Personally I'm pleased with the appointment but I really want to know what benchmarks the club Board is using here. What was the candidate weighed up against, what are the short, medium and (hopefully) long term priorities for the position of first team manager, what is his remit exactly?

EOho8Pw.png

As I said before, he seems to be the type of guy with the right attitude for the job. And he does have a good standing among the fans. 

On the other hand, it's one of those ones that if he hadn't played for us then I don't think it would be seen in quite the same way. I hope it's not the trap of choosing the ex-player that so many clubs fall for. In saying that, I saw him being interviewed (can't remember what it was on) a few weeks ago and I was pretty impressed by him. Seems like a hard working guy with a good attitude who knows the game - and if nothing else I don't think there's any way he will stand for the attitude that a number of the players have towards the fans. 

Ironic that the guy who was held back from square going with the arseholes in our support after the 10-2 game in Hamilton, is seen by some as the man to come in and sort out the players giving it back to the fans 🤒 

Liked Imrie as a player, fuck knows how he’ll get on as manager. Hopefully Brian Rice’s old number 2 can get the supporters back onside to help the team stay up. I’d like to think he’s got the personality to get an immediate reaction from them. 

Good luck Dougie, you’ll fuckin need it. 

Archived