McPherson sacked - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

McPherson sacked

TRVMP

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the bookies shortlist -

I'd find Imrie an interesting punt. Would be open to Neil McCann but would take a bit of convincing. Some of the names are terrifying. Alan Archibald an interesting one, thought he had disappeared. 

Wish Warnock was an actual option.

Imrie has a similar profile to many who will be interested in the job. There are many behind the scenes at Premiership clubs who would like a shot at the big job. JJ and Sheerin are warnings that it often goes wrong, but others will be successful (Jack Ross comes to mind). 

What I like about Imrie is that he might come to it with the attitude we're looking for. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that the likes of Neil McCann will see it as beneath them a bit - and even if they took it, it would be taking on little old Morton. Perhaps I'm being harsh there. 

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I’d be open to the idea of Imrie as manager with an experienced assistant. Brian Rice would be a dreadful appointment and we might as well have just stuck with McPherson 

Not sure I give much value to how experienced their assigned cone carrier is. Houston certainly added no value to JJ's reign.

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Not sure I give much value to how experienced their assigned cone carrier is. Houston certainly added no value to JJ's reign.

Martindale clearly did the donkey's work at Livingston though. They can be an asset but the majority certainly fall into the pointless diddy category. 

Having a sporting director in that mould would be valuable not just for the first team coach but also for a board that is just as inexperienced. That's a difficult spot to fill but I can't see us getting far without making that change to the structure. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Depends on the manager. Some want someone to leave out cones, others want them to be the go between with the players and others rely on them to help make decisions. 

If it's one of the first couple then we'll maybe hold on to Millen like Celtic did with a few coaches. 

Imrie is the one name so far that has caught my attention. Played at a decent level and he knows the Scottish game. Wouldn't be against him getting the job.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

24 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Martindale clearly did the donkey's work at Livingston though. They can be an asset but the majority certainly fall into the pointless diddy category. 

Having a sporting director in that mould would be valuable not just for the first team coach but also for a board that is just as inexperienced. That's a difficult spot to fill but I can't see us getting far without making that change to the structure. 

Agree that an effective assistant, like clearly Martindale was, can be an asset although I wouldn't class him as the experienced head as is being described.

Think some just try to feel better about a younger boss if they stick and old guy beside him 'coz experience', regardless of what the manager sees the role of his assistant to be.

Imrie is about the only one on the list that actually intrigues me, and it’s purely because he’s a complete unknown and has a wee bit of an affinity for the club. Whether he’s actually cut out for it or not I have no idea, but I’d take him over some of the other names mentioned. 

The board have to get this one bang on. I don’t envy them, there aren’t exactly many strong candidates about, but this appointment has to be an improvement or the credibility they have left just sinks even further. 

21 hours ago, Scapaflow said:

Neil McCann is on the bookies shortlist, local lad  with  first team managerial  experience . the jury  is still  out if he is good enough  though

McCann has a regular media gig I'm not sure he'd want to give up.

And also doesn't strike me as a guy who has the hunger to make management his main career. 

Seems likely he could have stayed at Inverness if he'd wanted - albeit geographically we could be a much better fit .

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

Interesting to find that all of the speculation for the Morton job is centred around white protestant males, and no mention of any BAME candidates.  Why is that?

Who are you thinking of?  Probably just that there aren't currently many BAME people involved in management at our level.

I see Hibs have sacked Jack Ross.  I'm not au fait with his managerial record but I suspect he's better than any of the jobbers mentioned so far.  Although probably out of our price range.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

18 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Who are you thinking of?  Probably just that there aren't currently many BAME people involved in management at our level.

I see Hibs have sacked Jack Ross.  I'm not au fait with his managerial record but I suspect he's better than any of the jobbers mentioned so far.  Although probably out of our price range.

Expect Falkirk to have a nibble at that one which could unfortunately move Rice back up our list.

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

BAME

Careful, you'll get conplaints. Yer no supposed to use that anymore.

Coincidence?

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

21 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Jack Ross could get another Premiership gig no problem.

Aye, and he was contracted to 2024 so probably unlikely to have got his payoff, more likely to still be on the payroll. Any new gig would then have to involve him agreeing a reduced settlement.

In other news:

Archived