McPherson sacked - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

McPherson sacked

TRVMP

37 minutes ago, Scott said:

There is no chance he would be even remotely interested in us. I’m sure he has his own business to run outside of football which suits him being part time. 

Suitability for part-time football should actually be part of the desirable criteria in the recruitment process, because the current nick of a 'professional' first team structure also has to be seriously reviewed in the next couple of years. Any long-term appointment should account for this. 

And if a capable manager like, say, Stewart Petrie were willing to take the job now on a part-time basis - with other coaches running the rest of the week - then the club should be flexible enough to accommodate that.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Suitability for part-time football should actually be part of the desirable criteria in the recruitment process, because the current nick of a 'professional' first team structure also has to be seriously reviewed in the next couple of years. Any long-term appointment should account for this. 

And if a capable manager like, say, Stewart Petrie were willing to take the job now on a part-time basis - with other coaches running the rest of the week - then the club should be flexible enough to accommodate that.

File all these East-coaster suggestions in the bin where they well and truly belong.  We've been down those avenues before and they'll snake us the first opportunity they get for a Falkirk or a Dunfermline.

Keep it a West-coast club and things will be a lot better.

*insert signature here*

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Fair point about not announcing the interim manager until he had been approached, that would indeed make sense. But surely they will have already decided the fate of Millen, Sutton and the goalkeeping coach? Unless one of them is the intended interim coach, why didn't they announce what's happening with them at the same time as Gus' announcement?

I do agree with the point about not binning the backroom staff at the same time (I actually posted that very thing on the other thread before you did here) as it gave me the fear they will give it to Millen to see out the season.

Still think the 'further updates to follow', likely Monday was fair enough.

23 minutes ago, capitanus said:

I have to say that all of the names mentioned none inspire me with any confidence.  I hate to say it too, that i'm expecting another 18-month-shiteshow-rinse-repeat jobber as the club continue to circle the drain with those MCT fannies alienating everyone they're supposed to be serving.  I would sooner have Duffy back than all of the names mentioned above.

We are burning our way through managers like nobodys business over the past decade or two, we need someone who will come in with a good track record, the fans can get right behind him, motivate the players to go that extra mile, someone that players will want to come and play for and someone with ambition to take the club up to the next level and stick around for at least 5 years or so.

There is one guy that ticks all these boxes, hes not previously been mentioned for any jobs yet but will be an inspired choice of coach for whoever goes after him - and its only a matter of time before he gets a job at Falkirk or someone like that.

Go on.

2 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Go on.

2 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Go on.

One name:

Tony Docherty

Vastly experienced and well respected coach.  Derek McInnes's former assistant.  Local to this part of the world (East Kilbride) and deserves his first job as manager in his own right.  As an added bonus, we could even ask him to see if Del wants to come on board to help out (Paid of course) until he gets something more permanent.  I'm sure he'd jump at the chance.

The place would be fucking buzzing if the two of them were here.

Thoughts everyone?

*insert signature here*

Given that Andy Millen and Gus were appointed "as a team" I don't see Millen stating on, even if he's not been sacked.

If the rumours of Brian Rice having been present at our last three games are true, then it's likely to be him that's appointed. If not, then I can see John Sutton as an interim manager with possibly Brian McLean as an assistant or player coach.

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Totally agree. One thing we should learn from Arbroath in the last couple of seasons, and perhaps also Alloa for a couple of seasons before that, is that there a lot of extremely competent players at Championship level who prefer to stay part-time, presumably because they have good careers outside the game. So I think the way ahead for teams at our level is a hybrid squad made up of both full and part-timers. 

5 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Totally agree. One thing we should learn from Arbroath in the last couple of seasons, and perhaps also Alloa for a couple of seasons before that, is that there a lot of extremely competent players at Championship level who prefer to stay part-time, presumably because they have good careers outside the game. So I think the way ahead for teams at our level is a hybrid squad made up of both full and part-timers. 

i'm totally in favour of that.  Get them working in coal mines or 48 hour shifts at Amazon etc. That would be most beneficial for their stamina.

*insert signature here*

I was always against us being part time but I'm now definitely willing to consider it being a good idea. We basically pay part time wages for full time work and that's not going to improve under fan ownership, especially if crowds continue to stay at the level they are or even dwindle further. 

There are positives to being the biggest part time team in the country instead of the smallest full time team. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

It's a possibility we need to be open to but it's also not a silver bullet. There's a reason why FT teams tend to congregate where they do in the leagues and the outliers are just that - outliers. (Arbroath on the top end, Falkirk hilariously on the bottom end.)

EOho8Pw.png

21 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

It's a possibility we need to be open to but it's also not a silver bullet. There's a reason why FT teams tend to congregate where they do in the leagues and the outliers are just that - outliers. (Arbroath on the top end, Falkirk hilariously on the bottom end.)

Or the reason could just be that clubs with the larger revenue to adopt a full-time setup also have more revenue to offer better wages to better players/managers as well. 

A hybrid structure makes most sense for a club of our current resources but it requires a manager/assistant who isn't a glorified cone-gatherer who can juggle that effectively. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 minute ago, vikingTON said:

Or the reason could just be that clubs with the larger revenue to adopt a full-time setup also have more revenue to offer better wages to better players/managers as well. 

A hybrid structure makes most sense for a club of our current resources but it requires a manager/assistant who isn't a glorified cone-gatherer who can juggle that effectively. 

I don't altogether disagree. If the poorest PT clubs sit at the bottom of the wage table and the richest two FT clubs at the top, there's going to be a mid-table pack that overlaps a bit. In that milieu in which we find ourselves, a hybrid model can offer the best of both worlds if done correctly. It can, however, also end up a complete mess in which wishful thinking dominates. This is a significant risk when you look at the current make-up of the club's Board, for whom playing local youths is an end in itself rather than something to augment the first team. (This isn't necessarily a bad idea but it's something very easy to get wrong, as we're currently doing.)

Beyond the aforementioned wishful thinking about having a team with a large number of youth products in it I'm still completely at a loss as to what the board's vision for the first team is. I'm increasingly concerned that they don't have one.

EOho8Pw.png

Would be an interesting move for a club who not that long ago chased our own employees for breaching gambling regulations and whose reputation was permanently tarnished by a rumoured betting scandal, to go out and appoint Rice who is a self-confessed gambling addict who was also reprimanded for breaching betting regulations.

But then, this regime sanctioned the signing of a sex offender so I guess nothing is really out of the question.

Brian Rice was definitely covering Hamilton's game yesterday & their game against Partick when we played Raith Rovers. So unless he was at the Cup games, he's not been watching us.

I'd love to have you both for dinner

Gus had a record of solid and unspectacular from previous roles, and he was true to form. A lot of draws, narrow defeats and not enough wins. A real lack of directness about our play is probably the most frustrating part under Gus. 

When you think of our budget and the number of youngsters / loanees in the side, it is no real surprise we are where we are with the budget available. Some of the teams around us are far better resourced (Dunfermline, Hamilton) and others (Ayr, QoTS) probably similar .

Added to that the last 5 years or so of operating on year to year contracts for players and effectively rebuilding the squad every summer has taken it's toll. 

That all adds up for me that we are in a worse position than some maybe think and changing managers isn't necessarily going to help us a great deal. 

Problem I see is that there are more clubs than there are decent manager about. Rolling the dice on one of the usual suspects (probably someone who is currently out of work) is unfortunately what we can expect at this stage. 

Names.... 

Stuart Kettlewell - had a decent run with Ross County and possibly sacked a bit prematurely. 

Alan Archibald - currently assisting or coaching at Thistle. I doubt he'd leave Thistle at this stage, but could be a decent chance for him to get back to management, if that's where he wants to be.

Paul Sheerin - just dismissed by Falkrik. IMO Falkirk are a club in turmoil and so it would be harsh to judge him on less than 2 dozen games. 

Struggling to think of anyone with a Morton connection. A fair old gamble to offer Chris Millar or Weatherson the job, imo. 

Wouldn't be overly keen on Stevie Aitken, albeit could be about our level and he would probably be very interested. 

Have seen McInnes mentioned. Assuming he wants to get back into management, this would be a huge risk for him. Maybe he'll back himself to give us 6 months and get us up the table, but very little upside for him at this stage in his career when he possibly has one decent offer left from the right club. 

I agree with Vikington that we should be open to a hybrid model which would end the daft exclusion of part time players. With our finances and pay levels, many players won’t want to sign full time when they could probably earn as much from a day job as we are paying full timers. Rory McAllister was one example, happy to remain part time and no interest in going full time. Remember that our best team in living memory, later 70s era, was at least partly part time - Andy Ritchie used to be employed to sell tickets for the weekly draw I think, and I’m fairly sure Bald Eagle Scott had an external occupation - can’t remember what it was (maybe accountancy?) but he was at Glasgow Uni around the time I played for GUFC (I was in the 3rd or 4th XI while he was in the first team). In the current climate, a hybrid model makes even more sense.

Just hope Millen doesn’t get the gig.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived