McPherson sacked - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

McPherson sacked

TRVMP

6 hours ago, shagster said:

He'll get a regular gig on a phone in before the year is out. Plucky little full time Morton unfairly matched up against behemoths like part time Arbroath. Only a matter of time before the club is dragged through the mud in the media for sacking him just before Christmas etc.

This, in fairness, is absolutely the club's fault. They should have binned him far earlier. I also think setting him such a pathetic goal as 8th was setting him up to fail to an extent. Hopefully that's a lesson learned.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying this is my choice as don’t even know what his ambitions are but what about John Sutton? Already at the club, well liked(?), and has had a hand in bringing through some good youngsters. At least a new name rather that a merry go round type?

Months overdue, but at least it's done now. He leaves with the worst league record of any Morton manager in the last 20 years, and only Allan Evans worse than him in the last 36. It's been a disaster from start to finish.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Can't believe I'm about to say these words, but what about Barry Ferguson? Not convinced he's a great coach but could be the sort of character that's able to reset the club and set some standards and best practices throughout the club that could help with progressing us from the shit show we are. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

16 hours ago, shagster said:

Only a matter of time before the club is dragged through the mud in the media for sacking him just before Christmas etc.

I doubt he'll be that bothered to be honest, he still had 18 months left on his contract so he'll be leaving with a decent pay-off for sure. I'm sure he'll still be able to afford a fat turkey and all the trimmings. 

16 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

No mention of Andy Millen in the club statement, I assume he's gone as well? 

Anybody know? And the other backroom staff? Who's taking charge on Tuesday night? Lack of very basic information is pish poor, but not surprising, unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Anybody know? And the other backroom staff? Who's taking charge on Tuesday night? Lack of very basic information is pish poor, but not surprising, unfortunately. 

Well, the announcement, while probably planned, did come almost immediately after the game so expectations of interim plans being announced there and then is a bit hopeful.

29 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Can't believe I'm about to say these words, but what about Barry Ferguson? Not convinced he's a great coach but could be the sort of character that's able to reset the club and set some standards and best practices throughout the club that could help with progressing us from the shit show we are. 

You've picked a name from the small handful of managers in the SPFL with an even worse pedigree than Gus MacPherson!

There's nothing in Ferguson's track record to suggest he's good enough to manage in the Championship and an awful lot to suggest he isn't. There's no reputation for implementing a more professional approach either.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

23 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Well, the announcement, while probably planned, did come almost immediately after the game so expectations of interim plans being announced there and then is a bit hopeful.

I'm sure they didn't make their mind up at the final whistle. Assuming it was already discussed and agreed that he'll be sacked if we didn't win yesterday, they surely would have also decided the fate of the other backroom staff and who'll take interim charge on Tuesday night. If the haven't done that, then the growing impression that MCT don't have a clue what they're doing will only grow

Undoubtably the right decision. For some the 'true' failure of last season was forgotten as we came through the play-offs and then Gus asked us to be patient in the summer transfer window promising quality over quantity but it never really happened. The man would have got more time if we could see where his 'grand' plan was going but it was for the most part a brutal watch. At our level choosing a manager appears to be a lottery but you have to hope we avoid the same old line-up of previous failures and invite a fresh face who believes we should not simply be aspiring to be bottom-feeders - give us some hope. 

57 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I'm sure they didn't make their mind up at the final whistle. Assuming it was already discussed and agreed that he'll be sacked if we didn't win yesterday, they surely would have also decided the fate of the other backroom staff and who'll take interim charge on Tuesday night. If the haven't done that, then the growing impression that MCT don't have a clue what they're doing will only grow

I'm sure they didn't fully decide ther whd then and I even said that in my post that the decision would have had a degree of planning in advance. A board meeting was scheduled after all.

But the short timeframe from match ending to announce makes it unlikely they would have spoken to any interim team before the announcement. (They might have, but it would be pretty unprofessional to broadcast that).

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I'm sure they didn't fully decide ther whd then and I even said that in my post that the decision would have had a degree of planning in advance. A board meeting was scheduled after all.

But the short timeframe from match ending to announce makes it unlikely they would have spoken to any interim team before the announcement. (They might have, but it would be pretty unprofessional to broadcast that).

Fair point about not announcing the interim manager until he had been approached, that would indeed make sense. But surely they will have already decided the fate of Millen, Sutton and the goalkeeping coach? Unless one of them is the intended interim coach, why didn't they announce what's happening with them at the same time as Gus' announcement?

34 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I know he's a bit of a laughing stock, but you can't argue that what Dick Campbell has achieved this season with a part-time squad is actually quite impressive. Just saying. 

There is no chance he would be even remotely interested in us. I’m sure he has his own business to run outside of football which suits him being part time. 

I’m hopeful we go for a fresh face. There will be loads of young managers out there wanting this job.  

Hopefully take our time and get this right. Cup game and league game v Inverness are hardly season defining so no need to rush.

If we end up with someone like Brian Rice I'll be fuckin livid. Why bin Gus to replace him with some other proven failure 

19 minutes ago, Scott said:

There is no chance he would be even remotely interested in us. I’m sure he has his own business to run outside of football which suits him being part time. 

I’m hopeful we go for a fresh face. There will be loads of young managers out there wanting this job.  

I know, I wasn't being totally serious.

Going for a young, ambitious but still unproven manager option would be of course a huge risk, but then again, going for the experienced old pro option with Gus didn't work out well either. I genuinely don't envy the task the board will have in attracting a credible and capable manager. And given their albeit short but terrible track record in decision making, I'm not overly optimistic they will. Hopefully they've learned crucial lessons from the Gus appointment, especially in terms of contact length. If we go for the inexperienced option it should be 6 months with an option to extend for a further year if we see tangible improvements in results and performance.

I understand the announcement was immediately after the game but I was surprised to see no mention of "so and so will be taking the team for the mean time".

A small part of me believes they've maybe already had 'informal' conversations with someone about the position. I'm pretty sure MCT had something to do with bringing McPherson in out the blue last season.

I have to say that all of the names mentioned none inspire me with any confidence.  I hate to say it too, that i'm expecting another 18-month-shiteshow-rinse-repeat jobber as the club continue to circle the drain with those MCT fannies alienating everyone they're supposed to be serving.  I would sooner have Duffy back than all of the names mentioned above.

We are burning our way through managers like nobodys business over the past decade or two, we need someone who will come in with a good track record, the fans can get right behind him, motivate the players to go that extra mile, someone that players will want to come and play for and someone with ambition to take the club up to the next level and stick around for at least 5 years or so.

There is one guy that ticks all these boxes, hes not previously been mentioned for any jobs yet but will be an inspired choice of coach for whoever goes after him - and its only a matter of time before he gets a job at Falkirk or someone like that.

*insert signature here*

Archived