Match Preview/Thread - QOTS vs Morton (1st December) - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - QOTS vs Morton (1st December)

Admin

8 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Agreed why start whining about on live TV just before kick off, pointless and embarrassing.

However, I can see his point about the predicted draw.

Not only does it cost the clubs money, but fans of clubs affected, are also having to pay out for travel for every game. What's the problem with a random draw.

This chat needs to get so, so far to fuck. As Toby says, every club in Scotland - remember, the SFA and the Leagues comprise club membership, they're not some shadowy body who dictate things from afar - knew what was happening going into this season. I trust Gus made his reservations clear at the time the tournament rules were published?

It was a recurring theme under the previous regime as well that putting on professional football matches was some kind of favor they were doing us, some hassle the busybodies at Hampden were foisting on them, and they'd rather just not bother, and it'd be naked table tennis Elysium ever after. This is a competition we entered knowing full well what could happen and it's now incumbent on us to compete in it (or not compete in it - also an option. )

Now, with that said, the bracket draw should be amended so that the home/away order can be switched. So even if the bracket shows who you will play in the next round, there should be a coin-flip to see who hosts it. Presumably Morton will represent to the SPFL Board the need for such a change next season.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We've got no God-given right to come down to Dumfries and get a result" - Gus McPherson, master of motivation and competent manager, 2 December 2021.

Firstly, I'd like to see where anyone has actually stated that we have a God-given right to anything. Would that be a ridiculous, straw man being assembled? 

Secondly, Queen of the South contested the match last night with no recognised, senior centre back and with Willie Gibson - a fucking winger deputising. Despite this, your Morton team registered a pathetic two shots on target from open play, both of which came from our centre backs. Queens also had three outfield subs listed on the bench, while you made five changes during the match. So the onus is in fact on you to deliver a result with the significantly larger resources at your disposal in the circumstances of last night's game. And you failed spectacularly. 

What sort of fucking loser abdicates all responsibility for the primary objective of his job like this, and why on earth has he not been huckled out of the door? 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

14 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

I can't believe there's still people out there within our support peddling this shite:

"Don’t disagree, someone needs to explain the rational for that decision but we have to make do with what we have and get behind the team and management."

Wow

Aye, it's passed the point of no return for me and I thought that was a pretty unanimous view now. 

My big concern is that if we do go down, and there's not any leadership shown to get rid of him, then it's going to be very hard to get the support back onside again. 

If he's sacked now and we still go down then at least there's a bit of leadership on display and a recognition that we just don't need to accept poor performances and results. There would still be an uphill struggle to get people back behind the new model but I'd suggest it would be a lot more possible than if things are left as they are. 

The answer to the problems mentioned on this and other threads is simple - a 'Sack the Board' campaign.  They obviously dont have any appetite to change the coaching staff or get rid of the convicted sex offender - therefore a loud and vocal campaign targeting those at the top should be the solution.

SACK THE BOARD

*insert signature here*

41 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

I can't believe there's still people out there within our support peddling this shite:

"Don’t disagree, someone needs to explain the rational for that decision but we have to make do with what we have and get behind the team and management."

Wow

There are times in any business where you go cross a point of no return and have to make the best of previous decisions. Happens everywhere, every day. Sometimes you simply do have to make do.

This isn't one of those times and that it could possibly have been foreseen as such is so damning of everyone involved it's hard to put into words. Changing management in football is such a routine activity, far moreso than almost any other contingent expenditure in a financial year. You simply have to, with no ifs or buts, make allowances for that scenario, at the professional level. You cannot say with 100% certainty that you're going to finish the season with the management team you started with. It is completely and utterly unthinkable to do so as an absolute. You can want it, you can aim for it, you can do everything to work with that manager and turn it around when it's going wrongly... but to completely dismiss the possibility (as the club's Board has done in their tinpot Q&A) is an act of abdication, pure and simple. They've set a fire and now they're watching it burn and saying "ah well, didn't know that fire would burn, now we just have to watch the fire burn."

EOho8Pw.png

8 minutes ago, capitanus said:

The answer to the problems mentioned on this and other threads is simple - a 'Sack the Board' campaign.  They obviously dont have any appetite to change the coaching staff or get rid of the convicted sex offender - therefore a loud and vocal campaign targeting those at the top should be the solution.

SACK THE BOARD

This is actually another thing MCT have failed on for me. 

Once it was known they would be owning the club but having separate boards (fan owned, not fan run, etc) it should have been made clear how MCT and its members can influence the club and the routes to change the club board if the membership wasn't happy. This should be a big selling point and should be repeated as ofter as possible. At the end of thr day MCT is its membership. 

Instead we're in a position where it seems like the club board are in an ivory tower and not answerable to anyone, including the the major shareholder. That's not even before we start to consider the wider fan base as customers. 

Maybe there are some details out there about how the board is made up voted in, etc and how MCT influence that but there is no excuse for not promoting that and giving members (and potential members) reassurance that they matter. 

This isn't suggesting there are votes on everything but it should be clear that things can change. Otherwise members are just funding people running our club. 

14 minutes ago, irnbru said:

This is actually another thing MCT have failed on for me. 

Once it was known they would be owning the club but having separate boards (fan owned, not fan run, etc) it should have been made clear how MCT and its members can influence the club and the routes to change the club board if the membership wasn't happy. This should be a big selling point and should be repeated as ofter as possible. At the end of thr day MCT is its membership. 

Instead we're in a position where it seems like the club board are in an ivory tower and not answerable to anyone, including the the major shareholder. That's not even before we start to consider the wider fan base as customers. 

Maybe there are some details out there about how the board is made up voted in, etc and how MCT influence that but there is no excuse for not promoting that and giving members (and potential members) reassurance that they matter. 

This isn't suggesting there are votes on everything but it should be clear that things can change. Otherwise members are just funding people running our club. 

I was a rank-and-file member of that MyFootballClub thing back in the day and while it fell way short of its original promise, one thing they absolutely did get right was putting this stuff front and center.

Let's face it, the club's board holds the fans in complete and utter contempt.

EOho8Pw.png

15 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I was a rank-and-file member of that MyFootballClub thing back in the day and while it fell way short of its original promise, one thing they absolutely did get right was putting this stuff front and center.

Let's face it, the club's board holds the fans in complete and utter contempt.

I've no idea how the club board got elected, how it gets changed and how they are made responsible to the shareholder. I get that members are minor shareholders with the MCT board acting on their behalf but it just seems like two organisations now with the club board drifting away and doing its own thing. Members need to know they are valued and can influence as a collective. 

Not too sure of the last bit but its giving that impression. Pretty disappointed that Chris Ross has been very quiet too. A couple of 5 minute interviews a month would be low effort with decent reward - him and the board he represents really need the fans support now more than ever. Even if its not always the answers we want, he'd get a bit of goodwill for him and the board just from being open. 

8 hours ago, irnbru said:

My big concern is that if we do go down, and there's not any leadership shown to get rid of him, then it's going to be very hard to get the support back onside again. 

I'm worried that MCT are actually doing irrepearable damage to the club's relationship with a number of fans. For a lot of people, this was meant to be the start of a new era but do far its been even worse than the Rae era. If fan ownership continues down this route, then I can see people waking away forever as this was the last stop in the road for many

1 hour ago, so72 said:

I'm worried that MCT are actually doing irrepearable damage to the club's relationship with a number of fans. For a lot of people, this was meant to be the start of a new era but do far its been even worse than the Rae era. If fan ownership continues down this route, then I can see people waking away forever as this was the last stop in the road for many

It shouldn't be irreparable though and I don't think it's a huge job to start fixing it. The fand survey is a good start and the last update to announce it gave me a bit of hope. 

At the end of the day, people on the MCT can come across well but it's how the club do on and off the park that people judge them on. 

If it's made clear that MCT influence the club board (even if it is voting on different roles once a year or whatever) and that the members have a clear route to impact this it would help. Its not exactly 'Sack The Board' but that MCT and its members have a clear way of changing things if it doesn't work. That wouldn't extend to sacking a manager and every operation decision but it would make the people at the club accountable and show how they can be changed. 

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

That wouldn't extend to sacking a manager and every operation decision but it would make the people at the club accountable and show how they can be changed. 

Correct - the onus is on the entire fanbase to empty the manager by making his position completely untenable. 

The onus is on the GMFC board and its MCT representatives to cut their losses or face the irreparable damage to themselves and the club by not taking action as well, but as with Jim McInally before him, no amount of board support will save him from a truly toxic death spiral.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

14 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

I've already seen and heard of folk cancelling their subscription to MCT until Gus is gone or improvements are made.

It financially impacts the club but the next step is for a very low attendance on Saturday. 

No, the next step is to turn up and get hounding to change the situation in the quickest possible timeframe. Staying away because you can't be arsed does not achieve this. 

12 hours ago, irnbru said:

I've no idea how the club board got elected, how it gets changed and how they are made responsible to the shareholder. I get that members are minor shareholders with the MCT board acting on their behalf but it just seems like two organisations now with the club board drifting away and doing its own thing. Members need to know they are valued and can influence as a collective. 

I had a look at the MCT Articles of Association (available at Companies House: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC635320/filing-history) and beyond the term limits requiring MCT directors to stand down and possibly submit themselves for re-election should they wish to stay on at AGM,  as far as I can see there's no mention of any mechanism for members to challenge the positions of existing directors of either MCT or GMFC.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

3 hours ago, irnbru said:

It shouldn't be irreparable though and I don't think it's a huge job to start fixing it. The fand survey is a good start and the last update to announce it gave me a bit of hope. 

At the end of the day, people on the MCT can come across well but it's how the club do on and off the park that people judge them on. 

If it's made clear that MCT influence the club board (even if it is voting on different roles once a year or whatever) and that the members have a clear route to impact this it would help. Its not exactly 'Sack The Board' but that MCT and its members have a clear way of changing things if it doesn't work. That wouldn't extend to sacking a manager and every operation decision but it would make the people at the club accountable and show how they can be changed. 

It is not irreparable but the danger is the longer it goes on the harder it will be to get fans back on board. No-one is doubting the intentions of those who volunteer at MCT but regardless of how many surveys you conduct they are meaningless if you do not listen to the fans and that is what is happening. All is forgiven if the team is winning or at least giving hope to the fans but under Gus there is nothing to encourage you to give up your Saturday to watch dross.

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

I had a look at the MCT Articles of Association (available at Companies House: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC635320/filing-history) and beyond the term limits requiring MCT directors to stand down and possibly submit themselves for re-election should they wish to stay on at AGM,  as far as I can see there's no mention of any mechanism for members to challenge the positions of existing directors of either MCT or GMFC.

That's a worry. We're essentially funding a closed group to do what they like then. 

Probably shouldn't have assumed there would be something but guess a lot of people are the same. 

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

It is not irreparable but the danger is the longer it goes on the harder it will be to get fans back on board. No-one is doubting the intentions of those who volunteer at MCT but regardless of how many surveys you conduct they are meaningless if you do not listen to the fans and that is what is happening. All is forgiven if the team is winning or at least giving hope to the fans but under Gus there is nothing to encourage you to give up your Saturday to watch dross.

Aye, big season and need to show leadership. 

Think I said earlier but if they are decisive in actions and we still get relegated then at least it's an acknowledgement that things need to change and will extend the goodwill of the fans and members. If not its a long road back. 

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

No, the next step is to turn up and get hounding to change the situation in the quickest possible timeframe. Staying away because you can't be arsed does not achieve this. 

Absolutely correct 

Archived