If and when Gus goes - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

If and when Gus goes

Mr.Blue

Who are the realistic targets? There must be some up and coming young managers and coaches out there in the lower leagues and juniors. Couldn't do any worse than the current imposters.

I'd be worried McLean was given it as an easy option.

Has Andy Ritchie ever managed or coached? He knows the club and the game  inside out and is clearly passionate about the club. Could be an alternative to the usual suspects?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Andy Ritchie's role at the club should not extend beyond being an (excellent) stream commentator, and shaking hands and mingling at hospitality. Ritchie is a club legend, but let's not go down the road of thinking that automatically makes him a coach, a manager or anything else. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

17 minutes ago, bigB said:

The guy Petrie at Montrose is doing pretty well although they would be due some form of compensation. 

We won't be getting Petrie.

Will be surprised if Dunfermline again choose not to go for him.

Although apparently his combined current incomes could prove prohibitive to him taking a full time gig (certainly at us).

5 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Kevin Thompson could be a shout, not that he'd leave Kelty. 

Boy I work with is a close cousin of Thomson's. Said when they signed O'Ware that he asked the board for money for a centre back, they turned around and said "here's money for two".

Firstly, the board have to abandon this fucking nonsense idea that they are somehow qualified through their experience of golf club sportsman's dinners to judge the performance of the first team and manager. You were the ones who laid this giant egg in the summer by being conned by the 'stability' pitch: part of you learning the lesson is to recuse yourselves from that direct role in the future. The other part is to cut your losses with this dud before they pile up through lost gate receipts anyway. 

If moving McPherson upstairs into a Sporting Director role makes life easier then I'd be okay with that, but the window for this move is fast running out alongside what's left of his credibility. You would then be looking for a young coach with fresh ideas who can focus on getting a much better tune out of the first team. 

If not, then we will need a left-field appointment that is going to get the goodwill and interest of the fans from the start. Someone who can pitch a legitimate rebuild project, instead of sounding like yet another tired old haddy just looking for their next 0-0 draw bonus. Someone who might know a thing or two about getting the best out of a Finnish central midfielder capable of storming matches at this level. 

It's time to hit the Lindberg/Rajamaki button. Give them the sporting director and first team coach roles and buckle up for the ride.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I think JJ has probably soured people on unproven coaches a bit, but that’s absolutely the road we still need to go down. There’s nobody we can realistically secure from around us that’d be much of an upgrade. We need to gamble on someone young and hungry, actually interested in leaving the club in a better position than they found it to progress their career.

Maybe a bit left field for some, but are we confined to looking at male candidates? Might be someone from the women’s game that would bring a fresh approach. Unlikely to happen at the top level just yet, but at our level is it a possibility?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Maybe a bit left field for some, but are we confined to looking at male candidates? Might be someone from the women’s game that would bring a fresh approach. Unlikely to happen at the top level just yet, but at our level is it a possibility?

I'd like to think the club would be open to that possibility, providing it isn't Shelley Kerr. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

43 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

After the first few 'nopes' (in terms of their potential interest) you get to the list of managers who will be the type to apply for the job - Canning, Rice, Kettlewell, McIntyre, Grant (and even some of that ilk have turned their nose up at the job in the past - I'm sure McIntyre did at some point). 

You never really know with a managerial appointment. Duffy was much better than JJ, but JJ was a far more popular appointment than Duffy at the time. We're not going to get an exciting manager from a list of manager's who probably failed in their last job. We're not really in a position to tempt a manager who is currently doing really well at a lower club. Giving a someone their first shot at management is a big risk (no idea of the level of truth in it, but I did hear we sounded out an ex Morton player when McElhone was in charge). It's a risk and a really tough ask to get it right, but increasingly Gus is leaving us with very little other options. 

41 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Chris Millar? Respected up and down the leagues and seeks to have a drive about him.

I’d go with Chris if he would take it. The alternatives are not encouraging. Tough to get him to leave and equally as tough to find an alternative. 

On 11/2/2021 at 1:26 PM, Mr.Blue said:

Who are the realistic targets? There must be some up and coming young managers and coaches out there in the lower leagues and juniors. Couldn't do any worse than the current imposters.

I'd be worried McLean was given it as an easy option.

Has Andy Ritchie ever managed or coached? He knows the club and the game  inside out and is clearly passionate about the club. Could be an alternative to the usual suspects?

What about Peanut McNeil?

*insert signature here*

Archived