Ways to Develop the Club - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ways to Develop the Club

vikingTON

I was going to mention this in the MCT thread, but it'd likely get swamped with the more general discussion. What possible projects should MCT/the club be working on to increase the club's revenue and/or its presence in the community? What things should we be investing in to bring the club into the 21st century? I think it's good idea to have a thread where these ideas can be knocked around, separate to the discussion of the manager or other equally important issues.

Here's my pitch:

1) Take over The Norseman and develop it into the hub for matchdays as well as community events.

The Norseman is undoubtedly on the market and looking for a buyer: within reason, that buyer should be the club and/or MCT. It shouldn't be run as a 24/7 bar, but rather a bar space that can be selectively opened for match days and events, as well as using some of its other, labyrinthine space for other events and purposes as well. This is not going to be a game changing money spinner, but it would clearly increase what the club is getting in terms of revenue on every matchday: as opposed to having people swan in at 2:55pm and out less than two hours later. 

The other reason why this should happen is the alternative of it being sold to another buyer. If you remove The Norseman, then Cappielow is at least ten minutes away from any credible pub. You have a Broadwood level ground in terms of neighborhood facilities, with only a city-grade transport service to compensate. This is going to give people another reason to not bother going, so doing nothing is not cost-free here. Creating a genuine common space like the social club at Palmerston, on the other hand, has intangible benefits as well as helping to raise revenue. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I was going to mention this in the MCT thread, but it'd likely get swamped with the more general discussion. What possible projects should MCT/the club be working on to increase the club's revenue and/or its presence in the community? What things should we be investing in to bring the club into the 21st century? I think it's good idea to have a thread where these ideas can be knocked around, separate to the discussion of the manager or other equally important issues.

Here's my pitch:

1) Take over The Norseman and develop it into the hub for matchdays as well as community events.

The Norseman is undoubtedly on the market and looking for a buyer: within reason, that buyer should be the club and/or MCT. It shouldn't be run as a 24/7 bar, but rather a bar space that can be selectively opened for match days and events, as well as using some of its other, labyrinthine space for other events and purposes as well. This is not going to be a game changing money spinner, but it would clearly increase what the club is getting in terms of revenue on every matchday: as opposed to having people swan in at 2:55pm and out less than two hours later. 

The other reason why this should happen is the alternative of it being sold to another buyer. If you remove The Norseman, then Cappielow is at least ten minutes away from any credible pub. You have a Broadwood level ground in terms of neighborhood facilities, with only a city-grade transport service to compensate. This is going to give people another reason to not bother going, so doing nothing is not cost-free here. Creating a genuine common space like the social club at Palmerston, on the other hand, has intangible benefits as well as helping to raise revenue. 

That's something Hawke tried to do and they weren't for selling. He was also looking at converting the space where the gym is now to a similar area and had plans drawn up by an architect - I think the idea was it was effectively a hall that could be flexible and possibly be used as a gym at times too.

I'm pretty sure they started looking at the community hall up the road too as an option for pre match stuff but don't know where that went. Definitely value in the idea and the club should be testing the waters with the Norseman regularly to see what they can do but they didn't want to sell at all a couple of years ago. 

Bring back the UB40 turnstyle for low-income/unemployed supporters 

Before the electronic turnstyles were installed, there was a UB40 entrance for low-income/unemployed people and families to attend Cappielow. I work with people within the community, who simply can't afford to see Morton on a matchday (which includes tickets, programmes, food & beverages, and the half-time 50/50). I understand this was violated in the past leading to its removal, but if you have fans within the ground, you have a captive market and an extra set of lungs to roar the team on.

A quick win would be getting the later rounds of the primary schools 7s tournaments on before ko again (assuming the tournaments are still on since it was years ago I experienced this). Parents, etc had to pay in and the half time penalty competition was a bit of a hook for the kids playing in front of a crowd. Easy couple of grand over a few weeks in gates without a lot of effort. I think the recent efforts where it was every week just meant parents, etc didn't go so it would need to be aligned with something a bit more meaningful. 

Said on another thread but the community trust have made most of the inroads locally that would be needed so there shouldn't be a lot of work needed to benefit the club by leaning on this. They're a separate organisation though and the remit isn't to get revenue for the club or increase crowds (although it's a by product). They're running at profit as far as I know and have had a lot of funding through grants, etc so a role of club liason officer or something that is partially funded by the club to bridge the gap between the two organisations might pay for itself pretty quickly. I don't think it's a big gap - the contacts and relationships are already there with 1000s of customer contacts from the coaching, etc being done.

In fact, the board of the club could do worse than get advice on how to run an organisation from Brian, etc at the community trust with regards to generating revenue and engaging with the community in general. I get the impression from the board that they didn't really appreciate the reach and contacts the community trust have already. 

10 hours ago, irnbru said:

A quick win would be getting the later rounds of the primary schools 7s tournaments on before ko again (assuming the tournaments are still on since it was years ago I experienced this). Parents, etc had to pay in and the half time penalty competition was a bit of a hook for the kids playing in front of a crowd. Easy couple of grand over a few weeks in gates without a lot of effort. I think the recent efforts where it was every week just meant parents, etc didn't go so it would need to be aligned with something a bit more meaningful. 

Said on another thread but the community trust have made most of the inroads locally that would be needed so there shouldn't be a lot of work needed to benefit the club by leaning on this. They're a separate organisation though and the remit isn't to get revenue for the club or increase crowds (although it's a by product). They're running at profit as far as I know and have had a lot of funding through grants, etc so a role of club liason officer or something that is partially funded by the club to bridge the gap between the two organisations might pay for itself pretty quickly. I don't think it's a big gap - the contacts and relationships are already there with 1000s of customer contacts from the coaching, etc being done.

In fact, the board of the club could do worse than get advice on how to run an organisation from Brian, etc at the community trust with regards to generating revenue and engaging with the community in general. I get the impression from the board that they didn't really appreciate the reach and contacts the community trust have already. 

The problem is the board aren't the slitest bit interested in the community trust or Brian. As said before to many chiefs n no Indians at cappielow. 

On 10/29/2021 at 7:12 PM, vikingTON said:

Here's my pitch:

I've always been envious of other clubs who have a proper social club in or next to the ground.  I would love for Morton to have a football theme pub plus a space for all types of fundraiser events etc. to be hosted.

One other way that the club could make money during the close season would be to use the Hospitality Suites as a wedding reception venue.  They're facilities that we already own and are under utilised and I'd imagine that would be a good moneyspinner locally.

*insert signature here*

On 10/30/2021 at 2:17 AM, RealTonKid said:

Bring back the UB40 turnstyle for low-income/unemployed supporters 

Before the electronic turnstyles were installed, there was a UB40 entrance for low-income/unemployed people and families to attend Cappielow. I work with people within the community, who simply can't afford to see Morton on a matchday (which includes tickets, programmes, food & beverages, and the half-time 50/50). I understand this was violated in the past leading to its removal, but if you have fans within the ground, you have a captive market and an extra set of lungs to roar the team on.

Have UB40 play at an open air music festival at Cappielow during the close season.  AlanPartridgeTon could be the compere and McD (remember him) could organise it. :)

*insert signature here*

13 hours ago, capitanus said:

I've always been envious of other clubs who have a proper social club in or next to the ground.  I would love for Morton to have a football theme pub plus a space for all types of fundraiser events etc. to be hosted.

One other way that the club could make money during the close season would be to use the Hospitality Suites as a wedding reception venue.  They're facilities that we already own and are under utilised and I'd imagine that would be a good moneyspinner locally.

Pretty sure that hiring out the hospitality lounges for weddings and funerals etc was already on the agenda.

Some good ideas there! One thing that’s always annoyed me is how disconnected the Morton Supporters’ Club is from The Football Club. We have the Celtic Supporter’s Club in the centre of town, which is a thriving business and welcomes Morton supporters more than our own “supporters’ club” ever did. Create a new Morton Supporters’ Club in the centre of town which runs buses to home and away games, and is a hub for connecting the fans to the club, through fund raising events, youth teams, visits from management and players etc. Make the people of Inverclyde as welcome at Cappielow as they are at Parkhead and Ibrox, and start treating us all as valuable supporters for a change!

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

We have the Celtic Supporter’s Club in the centre of town, which is a thriving business and welcomes Morton supporters more than our own “supporters’ club” ever did.

Make the people of Inverclyde as welcome at Cappielow as they are at Parkhead and Ibrox, and start treating us all as valuable supporters for a change!

Can you provide some background for these two claims? I have no idea how you have arrived at these conclusions.

16 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

Some good ideas there! One thing that’s always annoyed me is how disconnected the Morton Supporters’ Club is from The Football Club. We have the Celtic Supporter’s Club in the centre of town, which is a thriving business and welcomes Morton supporters more than our own “supporters’ club” ever did. Create a new Morton Supporters’ Club in the centre of town which runs buses to home and away games, and is a hub for connecting the fans to the club, through fund raising events, youth teams, visits from management and players etc. Make the people of Inverclyde as welcome at Cappielow as they are at Parkhead and Ibrox, and start treating us all as valuable supporters for a change!

I think the core of the message is correct although a bit all over the place.

Establishing a supporters club 'hub' in the town centre and taking over the Norseman would be huge steps forward. 

When I was younger I remember on a Saturday there was a 'training camp' run by a few of the younger Morton lads. DR would turn up every Saturday there was a home game. You paid £5 for your session and he gave all the boys a ticket for the game and of course some Millions. I know that the other 10 or so lads still go to games to this day, and weren't full-time Morton fans at the time.

It's a very small sample of fans but that's the sort of interaction I'd like to see going forward. No reason why we can't run something similar now, I'm sure there would be higher numbers too. 

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

Not Cappielow, the Morton Supporters’ Club on Regent Street.

You said the Greenock CSC was more welcoming to Morton fans than the Morton supporters club.

You then said that Ibrox and Parkhead were more welcoming to the people of Inverclyde than Cappielow is.

You're full of it.

I'm not sure what can be done about the supporters' club. It could be a reasonable place for a hub (with bar and function space) but it's not at the club or MCT's disposal. If the current setup suits those running it then it's none of our business tbh.*

Rightly or not, the impression is that it is a club of certain Morton supporters rather than a club for Morton supporters in general. There would probably need to be that change of ownership to put to bed that belief, and even then attitudes might not shift quickly. 

* The Norseman on the other hand does not suit anyone and is going to get punted in the near future, so should rightly be on our radar. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived