Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Hamilton (30th October) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Hamilton (30th October)

Admin

Noticed today that players didn't clap the cowshed coming on to pitch and didn't after the game on Tuesday. The last thing MCT want is an us and them mentality between fans and players in their first season. 

Today was the first real time I've heard proper abuse towards certain players. In previous years with this record they'd have been hounded weeks ago but i feel like the fans have stayed onside with the players despite the problems with the manager but it felt like a real breaking point between us and the players today. 

Another reason the manager should be fired. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Noticed today that players didn't clap the cowshed coming on to pitch and didn't after the game on Tuesday. The last thing MCT want is an us and them mentality between fans and players in their first season. 

Today was the first real time I've heard proper abuse towards certain players. In previous years with this record they'd have been hounded weeks ago but i feel like the fans have stayed onside with the players despite the problems with the manager but it felt like a real breaking point between us and the players today. 

Another reason the manager should be fired. 

Fk them they are not there to be liked or unlinked they are there to perform n get paid for it I couldn't give a mother's fk it they like us or not thats not ther fkn job it's to play ⚽ n get good results for gmfc 

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

The goal should not change the reality that the manager situation is untenable. That midfield shape and lineup was completely wrong and it was only through random shelling of the ball at Ugwu that we caused them any trouble. 

I gave gus millen and the team stick most of the game aswell as Ritchie n mcclenan? because well they were fkn shite if this shite continues we are going down 👇 

As others have said, very much enjoyed getting it up the Hamilton fans today, but it shouldn’t paper over what was another abysmal showing. That goal has spared Gus an almighty hounding at the full time whistle, and I’d say “kept him in the job” if I wasn’t so convinced he was going nowhere anyway. 

Now the hilarity of the equaliser has settled, let's look at just a few of the issues with that performance.

A change of shape, again. There's widespread agreement that we were better than usual against Partick, albeit it would be a massive stretch to actually call it good. However we have once again changed to a different system from game to game. How are players supposed to settle into consistent form when they're being shunted around like this?

Oisin McEntee is quite clearly the best centre back at the club by a comfortable margin. Michael Ledger is quite clearly the second best centre back at the club by a comfortable margin. Even if you want to make an argument for giving McEntee a run at right back over Ledger - I assume the thinking is he's got a lot of confidence with the ball at his feet and can therefore contribute more going forward - then you still have to start Ledger. You saw this well enough on Tuesday night where Tiffoney had started the game looking extremely dangerous, then the second Ledger was on the park he vanished from the game because he couldn't do anything to get past him.

McLean and Lithgow were both good players at this level and higher once, but they are now 36 & 33 respectively, with Lithgow having just spent pretty much two years out injured. They are both clearly inferior players to McEntee and Ledger at this stage in their careers. If MacPherson has some sort of personal issue with Ledger he needs to get over it for the good of the club.

Moving onto the midfield, it's not taken long at all to see that Jaakko Oksanen is the best player at the club by a considerable distance. His quality is evident, he's clearly too good for this division and MacPherson has said similar himself. Why then, if you have a player of this undoubted quality, would you shunt him out to the left in order to accommodate Cameron Blues? It was apparent this was exactly what MacPherson's thinking was, as when Blues was subbed Oksanen immediately moved inside.

Play your best players in their best positions rather than dicking them about to accommodate players who never have been and never will be good enough. You also saw this on Tuesday with Jacobs actually being played as holding midfielder for the first time this season rather than MacPherson trying to convert him into some sort of box to box Martin Hardie type, and shock horror he had his best game of the season.

There is so much MacPherson is doing to hamstring the players and get less than the sum of their parts: surely no one can dare make the argument that the squad is just hopeless and no manager could do more with them after watching that?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Lithgow is so overweight/muscle bound that its affecting his movement and McLean should be dropped based on his distribution alone. He has the same look that Midge had towards the end of his time with us - so knackered that he can't do the basics properly anymore.

Reilly also still looks miles off the pace. That's not good enough for (you'd assume) our best paid forward. 

Cutting out McLean's slackness and getting Gozie in the team would make a big difference. 

Echo everything Dunning has said. There's a solid spine to the team. I imagine Oksanen won't be here come January and we need to utlise his ability as much as possible whilst he's still here. A few wins between now and January could be the difference this season.

It's clear we are a better side with Gozie in the team. Would quite like to see him and Knowles up top. 

However, with that muppet in charge you're really wasting your breathe. The boos and chants were not subdued by applause this week, the players and management know exactly what we think of their displays. It's time to see what type of characters we have now.

I was reasonably happy with the spine of the team early in the season. Hamilton, Lithgow/ McLean, jacobs, Ugwu  are all decent players at this level with experience. He's then had the chance to supplement this base with attacking players, energy and his tactics. It's not working. Next week needs to see changes and some of the under performers dropped. We are so narrow and devoid of creativity that it is unreal and painful to watch.

Hamilton

Ledger.  Lithgow.  Mcentee. Strapp.

Allan.  Oksanen.   Lyon.   Russell.

Ugwu.   Knowles.

Subs - McLean, Jacobs, Oliver.... Can't think of who else would be on the bench.

Let the full backs worry about defending. Allan and Russell are more than capable of doing damage going forward. Oksanen and Lyon can alternate sitting and going forward. I'd like to see Knowles and Goz get a shot up front together to build a partnership. I like Gary Oliver but he's being shoe horned into the team and isn't offering much at all.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Allan has been completely ineffective on the right and not much better in any other position. We don't have enough credible wide options to play that formation. It doesn't suit the strengths of our squad, and didn't suit it yesterday with the tombola selection either. 

4-1-3-2 (Tuesday night's formation) with someone - anyone - in for Blues in midfield and Ugwu and Knowles up front should be the way forward for now. Oliver and Reilly do not deserve to play right now and I'm not convinced that either show enough energy to work off Ugwu's efforts effectively. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I've not seen a single thing to suggest that Allan is capable of doing any damage to anything, apart from his own team. 

He did okay at left midfield at Kilmarnock and got into good positions but failed to deliver a decent final ball at Inverness. If he is going to play, it should be there, though it shouldn't be in the starting eleven on current showing. 

McPherson is hanging him out to dry completely by playing him on the right and Allan had a thankless task there yesterday. 

I reserve much more criticism for our marquee 'playmaker' Oliver, who we insist on building a team around every week and then wonder why oh why it is so completely toothless and can't win any games. We've seen this before and my already limited patience is shot through. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

He did okay at left midfield at Kilmarnock and got into good positions but failed to deliver a decent final ball at Inverness. If he is going to play, it should be there, though it shouldn't be in the starting eleven on current showing. 

McPherson is hanging him out to dry completely by playing him on the right and Allan had a thankless task there yesterday. 

I reserve much more criticism for our marquee 'playmaker' Oliver, who we insist on building a team around every week and then wonder why oh why it is so completely toothless and can't win any games. We've seen this before and my already limited patience is shot through. 

I read an article from last year about how Allan had found his best position as a forward. I have wondered if he could end up a bit of a Michael Gardyne figure for us, who made a good career in central areas after looking devoid of any redeeming features on the wing for us. 

I'm definitely in favour of the type of system we had on Tuesday, but with perhaps giving Knowles a chance alongside Ugwu in attack. 

The jury is still out on Knowles for me - whilst he hasn't had a lot of match time, he is too easily muscled out of the game (very evident at Montrose).

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

The jury is still out on Knowles for me - whilst he hasn't had a lot of match time, he is too easily muscled out of the game (very evident at Montrose).

Absolutely. He hasn't done an awful lot to impress so far. He does at least try to be direct, though, and he definitely seems more like a striker than forwards like Oliver and Reilly. I'm far from convinced about giving him another chance at a start, but I'm also far from convinced by the alternatives. Muirhead, Knowles, Oliver, Reilly, Allan - one league goal from open play between the lot of them. 

When McPherson swapped Allan and Reilly for Knowles and Ugwu we looked a whole lot better going forward and actually started to create chances... even big Andy said it in the commentary.. also he has to start Legder against Dunfermline at right back and get McEntee into the centre of that defence... just my opinion

Aye, I've not really seen anything to suggest Knowles is the answer, but we've seen more than enough to say that Reilly, Oliver and Muirhead aren't while Knowles has only had one start, where in his defence his strike partner was Allan. Giving him a run is the last roll of the dice for someone to partner Ugwu.

As for Allan, while he hasn't looked anywhere close to good enough so far, I do think a comparison with Michael Gardyne is apt. Just as McInally signed Gardyne in desperation when needing another creative option but didn't have a clue how he actually wanted to use him, MacPherson has given Allan 7 starts and he's played in 6 different positions. What chance has the guy got if he's going from the wing to number 10 to wing back to centre forward to wing back on the other side then back to a winger but switching sides again? There's no chance for a young player with hardly any first team experience to settle into any kind of consistency in those circumstances.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

8 hours ago, Scozzie said:

When McPherson swapped Allan and Reilly for Knowles and Ugwu we looked a whole lot better going forward and actually started to create chances... even big Andy said it in the commentary.. also he has to start Legder against Dunfermline at right back and get McEntee into the centre of that defence... just my opinion

Think that's everyone's opinion, bar Gus.

I have no idea why gus insists on changing the team and formation every week it gives them absolute no chance to be able to form an understanding.

Hopefully Ugwu can pull us out of a hole I would say he is the best chance we have to score but I really don't know how fit he is unfortunately seems like he may be a bit injury prone. 

From what I've seen this season, Oksanen and Lyon should be our default choice for central mid.  Oksanen seems to have a bit of vision, and Lyon is willing to drive forward with the ball - and if I'm not mistaken, he's about the only player who has had a reasonable shot on target in about the last 6 games.  McEntee is a centre back so Ledger at RB makes more sense to let Oisin move inside (although I'm tempted to say both Ledger and McEntee at CB is probably a more logical move given that Mclean looks done and Lithgow looks about two stone overweight).

Ugwu must start up front - might help Reilly who looks lost on his own (surely one of the most disappointing signings so far) but might benefit from knockdowns from Gozie, and if not Jimmy Knowles  might make more of any chances.  I'd also get Strapp back in the team at LB even though he has made a few mistakes this season.  Russell seems to be ok at left mid & on the right , well, I have no idea really, nobody seems to stand out. Actually missed out Jacobs there but in front of the back 4 is his best position.

Looked at individually, we have some players who should be half decent, but Gus has made such a mess of being a manager that nobody seems to know what they are doing, resulting in repeated pass backs when we look like getting somewhere, or alternatively aimless long balls.  It really is exasperating to watch.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived