Match Preview/Thread - QOTS vs Morton (23rd October) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - QOTS vs Morton (23rd October)

Admin

2 hours ago, so72 said:

If we don't have the money to sack Gus outright (ie he is not ameanable to a fair negotiation or payment in installments) then there are options such as gardening leave. We need him out of the club, the price of keeping him is far higher than the price of canning him. 

Indeed. That option is likely far more widespread than people have knowledge of.

Wasn't it the main reason for the delay in Eddie Howe's proposed gig at Celtic - he was still on gardening leave from Bournemouth and taking another gig forfeits his rights to continued pay and the bonuses he was due (I know the deal eventually fell due to backroom staff not wanting/being able to join).

Closer to home, there's a reason Anton was still on the payroll towards the end of last season (possibly still is for all we have been told) despite being relieved of his duties - likely because nobody was paying him up.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

I don't know, he's quite a character and has a good track record, Raith aside. 

He wouldn't touch us with a barge pole, tbf. 

He’s a prick. He had a good record with Inverness when carrying on Butcher’s good work and ultimately winning the Scottish Cup, but struggled the following season when the top boys went onto bigger and better things, before getting out in the nick of time for Foran to carry the can when the shit hit the fan.

I suspect he’s also timed his departure from Ross County very well too in order to protect his reputation. If he was to take the Morton job and be moderately successful, he’d bail at the first sign of trouble in order to protect himself. He could never be considered a long term, forward thinking appointment.

Added to that, we’ve already got one guy at the club who thinks it’s acceptable to get his banger out for the public to see, we don’t need another.

3 hours ago, so72 said:

If we don't have the money to sack Gus outright (ie he is not ameanable to a fair negotiation or payment in installments) then there are options such as gardening leave. We need him out of the club, the price of keeping him is far higher than the price of canning him. 

If Cowdenbeath can afford to 'sack' (negotiate a favourable pay-off over X number of months) their manager this weekend then Greenock Morton can quite clearly afford to empty theirs. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Getting four tickets for tomorrow, two boys who never go to the games are coming along. That £80 would probably be better spent in one of Greenock's finer establishments over the course of the night..

I'm not overly shocked Gus is still here but I believe getting a draw on Saturday has given him an extra week. However, I don't accept that results will come and if they do whether they will be enough to save us this season. 

And to think, just a few months ago there was a sense of cautious optimism around the place. It's all down from here as it stands.

18 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Much like the assumption that sacking = paying off the contract right there and then.

Doesn't really matter, it amounts to the same in the long run. Paying-off in installments effectively means paying two managers and two assistants for nearly 2 years which will end us up in the same amount of debt. Unless we take the new manager and assistant manager's wages from the player budget, which would hardly be an option if the intent was to improve the squad. We're fucked either way.

11 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Doesn't really matter, it amounts to the same in the long run. Paying-off in installments effectively means paying two managers and two assistants for nearly 2 years which will end us up in the same amount of debt. Unless we take the new manager and assistant manager's wages from the player budget, which would hardly be an option if the intent was to improve the squad. We're fucked either way.

Where to start with this drivel?

1) Paying off a manager doesn't mean they get the full amount of their contract. When it's TTG, the coaching staff and the board will agree on a mutually acceptable figure and how it gets paid.

2) The mechanism absolutely does matter, if the claim is that we literally can't afford to pay off a manager and hire another one now, as if the club needs to break open the biscuit tin and pay them in coppers. This is demonstrable nonsense. 

3) The club is not actually running as a break-even enterprise yet. That is the desired outcome at the end of three years according to MCT's takeover plan. Losses in the meantime are being funded out of the money that GMFC and the rest of Scottish football conned put of the taxpayer for last season's nonsense campaign.

4) 'Sacking a completely incompetent manager' is a price worth paying by any professional football club. Not sacking said manager also incurs its own costs in lost revenue through the gate and cancelled MCT subscriptions, which you and the bean-counter brigade are bizarrely failing to recognise. It is not a choice of losing money or not: it is a choice of which cost you are going to pay for making a foolish decision in the summer. 

5) The current squad does not need extra investment to be competitive at this level: it won't be play-off contenders under any manager, but it can and should be performing much better. There are players who could also leave the club for 'new opportunities' within the current squad who would not be missed at all if we're clearing the decks. 

8 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Not necessarily, if he was on a short term part-time contract. 

There's nothing to suggest that he was on a short-term contract. And getting rid of a part-time manager's contract is just as much of a burden to a dung, part-time club with 300 fans as emptying a full-time boss is for GMFC.

Utter, mewling nonsense from start to finish then.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

1) Paying off a manager doesn't mean they get the full amount of their contract. When it's TTG, the coaching staff and the board will agree on a mutually acceptable figure and how it gets paid.

They've both made a decent living out of the game I'm sure, but I doubt that either of them are rich. So if they're relying on their wages to pay the bills and put food on the table, like most of us do, then why would they accept a settlement less than the full amount they're due? It's not like either of them are going to walk into another full-time job the following week.

11 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

They've both made a decent living out of the game I'm sure, but I doubt that either of them are rich. So if they're relying on their wages to pay the bills and put food on the table, like most of us do, then why would they accept a settlement less than the full amount they're due? It's not like either of them are going to walk into another full-time job the following week.

Because that's not how a manager being 'mutually consented' works; they also don't 'resign' without a pay-off either or else that would never happen for the reasons that you give. Unless they have a clause written into their contract like Steve Bruce and Newcastle, they either agree a figure with the club to go or get punted on gardening leave. In the UK, the former is by far the most popular choice. 

It's notable that you're not doing all this hand-wringing about the lost livelihoods when it comes to a dung, glorified miners' club in Fife binning their manager at the same stage of the season. 

8 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Not that he'd come, but i'd take John Yogi Shoes in. 

Nope.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

22 minutes ago, so72 said:

Gus managing Morton is worse.

Really? “Yogi” going into a team that can’t buy a win, and without a rich owner’s chequebook sounds like an absolute disaster waiting to happen to me, and one that would likely be played out in the full glare of the media when Hughes throws his toys out the pram and blames everyone but himself.

How many clubs has he left in a better position than he arrived at?

Archived