Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (16th October) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (16th October)

Admin

22 minutes ago, Deego said:

We've not got the money to pay him off.

We won't have the money to keep him on, when folk start ditching matches and their MCT subscriptions as well. If the bean-counter and lawyers have any understanding of how a football business operates, they'll act accordingly. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd settle for a Yogi Hughes as an alternative to Gus in that he has a track record of the odd success and his teams don't play hoofball, but in an ideal world I'd really like to see a young and motivated manager who could come in and lift the whole club from the doldrums before being headhunted by a bigger club for the first time in 30 years supporting the club. 

There needs to be ambitious people at the club who want to use us as a stepping stone to bigger career success instead of us rewarding failure with people who are just happy to have another full time gig and who think because we have one of the lowest budgets in the league that we just need to sit and accept our place, despite there being teams who punch above their weight in every league in the world including our own league every year. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Gus was never the answer, the clue being signings the same old haddies that had us playing no football last season before avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth. The excitement of survival resulted in folk with little or no football experience offering up a two-year contract. I struggle to believe fans ever thought the outcome would be any different to where we are now having to continually listen to a footballing dinosaur talk about not being able to fault the boys efforts while we fail to score goals and/or pick up points. Following Morton is never going to be a trophy laden experience but the very least the fans deserve is hope not the season over before the end of October.

In the unlikely event that he goes anytime soon of like to see us take a gamble on an up and coming manager with experience in the lower leagues or even the juniors. We've went down the dinosaur route and it hasn't really worked. There must be someone out there who wants to come in and totally transform our fortunes and make a name for themselves. It's a long shot but someone from the juniors who can attract talent with a good work ethic and a knowledge of the Scottish game would be something new and fresh rather than the usual suspects.

We will probably end up with McLean as interim manager as it's the cheap and easy option.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I don't keep up with the current managerial scene in Scottish football but is Kevin Rutkiewicz worth a look? He's relatively young, got experience of working at a community owned club and they appear to be doing not bad at the top end of the 2nd.

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

We won't have the money to keep him on, when folk start ditching matches and their MCT subscriptions as well. If the bean-counter and lawyers have any understanding of how a football business operates, they'll act accordingly. 

Agree it's a problematic situation either way, but literally right now where is the money to pay up two contracts? The game's changed under fan ownership.

I think someone mentioned earlier it could be paid up over time rather than a lump sum, which might be an option, but it's not a great start to the break even model.

I don't think he's the man for the job but I think the reality of it is we're going to need to hope for the best here. 

Why did the BoD sign off on a contract for such a key position where we're relying on future income if we want to get out of it? 

I don't think this is an unfair thing to ask, it's not like this was a completely unforeseeable situation after finishing 9th. I understand we don't have a "war chest" but this is basic continuity of business stuff. 

It also raises the question of how we're contingency planning in general. What if the government instituted another lockdown, or something daft like that? 

Money doesn't grow on trees but if we are physically unable to change manager, and reliant on fortnightly income to pay that manager, something's gone seriously wrong with the budgeting already. 

EOho8Pw.png

The key question is should we actually be looking for another manager or a first team coach insteadwith a Director of Football/whatever you want to call it to act as a go-between with the board. For me, that makes more sense given our ownership model and the fact that our board has zero experience of successfully running first team operations at a professional football club. Not to mention the fact that we've been through seventeen fucking managers since 2000 and are currently getting our fingers burned yet again with the two year deal handed out to a crap, glorified caretaker. Having two full degrees of separation between the board and the everyday coaching and management decisions is needed for this ownership model to work IMO.

We should be looking for a first team coach and if McPherson is willing to move upstairs into the DoF role then that could even take care of that contract issue through 2023. The loans from England have been a decent piece of business after all; the blunt reality is that he is just not capable of getting the best out of them and the squad at this stage of his career. If not, then we should appoint a first team coach anyway and spend some serious time recruiting a credible DoF before next summer. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

11 minutes ago, dmcewan16 said:

Clutching at straws here, yes ball shouldn’t be moving but thats nothing to do with the fact Strapp has made a Noel Hunt of it. Players dont have to be out the box, just cant touch it.

basic errors from players that caused the goal

New changes to the law on  bye kicks states that the opposition should still be outside box when it is taken .strapp was caught off guard when this was taken but mckay knew what was happening.maybe a training ground move?

Screenshot_20211018-131456_Samsung Internet.jpg

7 minutes ago, vicmaramyton said:

New changes to the law on  bye kicks states that the opposition should still be outside box when it is taken .strapp was caught off guard when this was taken but mckay knew what was happening.maybe a training ground move?

Screenshot_20211018-131456_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't think the last one prevents the team from taking the goal kick, though. Like taking a quick free kick or corner when an opponent is nearby - it's an offence from the other team, but if they don't get in the way of team in possession then the referee is right to allow the play to continue. 

I also don't think the ball is still moving when it's actually kicked. 

On 10/17/2021 at 12:40 PM, Deego said:

Agree it's a problematic situation either way, but literally right now where is the money to pay up two contracts? The game's changed under fan ownership.

I think someone mentioned earlier it could be paid up over time rather than a lump sum, which might be an option, but it's not a great start to the break even model.

I don't think he's the man for the job but I think the reality of it is we're going to need to hope for the best here. 

You seem ITK about this so I'm asking in the hope that you might know something. Not pointing fingers of course, just asking without knowing who made what decision and then.

Hypothetically, if we had zero points on the board right now, there'd be no way the club could physically sign the papers to boot the manager without continuing to pay him his weekly wage until his deal ends in 2023? And there'd be absolutely no room in the budget to pay another manager? None whatsoever, as in the money does not exist in Morton's operating bank account and 100% of the projected income between now and 2023 is already earmarked for other purposes (including Gus' wages)? Have I got that right?

If we get to April 2022 and end up relegated in 10th place, does anything here change? Is there a break clause in his contract? Failing that, is there a wage reduction built-in to compensate for lower prize money and sponsorship income?

It's just not clear to me how a budget and a contract could combine in such a way to give us absolutely no wiggle room here, none at all. And if the above cases are true, then giving out a two-year deal was an act of such feckless negligence I find it hard to believe it took place at all. You could just about make a case for doing so for an excellent young manager who'd had us performing above ourselves, but we scraped into 9th then got past two teams with day jobs in the playoffs. Was that really worth giving the club literally no room for maneuver at all?

I hope there's just some hyperbole at play here and, while it would be painful and no doubt result in belt-tightening elsewhere, there is in fact scope to carry out the kind of regular football recruitment change that takes place at about a third of the clubs in the country in any given campaign. Coz if not that's actually more concerning to me than the performances on the pitch.

EOho8Pw.png

10 hours ago, TRVMP said:

You seem ITK about this so I'm asking in the hope that you might know something. Not pointing fingers of course, just asking without knowing who made what decision and then.

Hypothetically, if we had zero points on the board right now, there'd be no way the club could physically sign the papers to boot the manager without continuing to pay him his weekly wage until his deal ends in 2023? And there'd be absolutely no room in the budget to pay another manager? None whatsoever, as in the money does not exist in Morton's operating bank account and 100% of the projected income between now and 2023 is already earmarked for other purposes (including Gus' wages)? Have I got that right?

If we get to April 2022 and end up relegated in 10th place, does anything here change? Is there a break clause in his contract? Failing that, is there a wage reduction built-in to compensate for lower prize money and sponsorship income?

It's just not clear to me how a budget and a contract could combine in such a way to give us absolutely no wiggle room here, none at all. And if the above cases are true, then giving out a two-year deal was an act of such feckless negligence I find it hard to believe it took place at all. You could just about make a case for doing so for an excellent young manager who'd had us performing above ourselves, but we scraped into 9th then got past two teams with day jobs in the playoffs. Was that really worth giving the club literally no room for maneuver at all?

I hope there's just some hyperbole at play here and, while it would be painful and no doubt result in belt-tightening elsewhere, there is in fact scope to carry out the kind of regular football recruitment change that takes place at about a third of the clubs in the country in any given campaign. Coz if not that's actually more concerning to me than the performances on the pitch.

Plenty of industries outside football generally have an initial 3-6 month review period in contracts for new employees to make sure they haven't taken on an absolute charlatan and I don't see why a football club, (especially one with a precarious financial situation as ours) wouldn't do something similar!  Not having anything similar in the managers contract would be a case of gross negligence by the board imo.  

So far, 6 points from a possible 27 is a 22% success rate and should be more than adequate to justify ripping up that 2 years deal!

here today, gone to hell

29 minutes ago, bob_the_builder said:

Plenty of industries outside football generally have an initial 3-6 month review period

He got his 3 month review appraisal - and someone inexplicably rewarded him with a new 2 year deal off the back of it.

I see that Gary Oliver has come out with an extraordinary rant in the Tele today claiming that 'long ball tactics' need to be ditched to stop our current run. I can only presume this interview was held back from weeks ago, because since McLean dropped out of the side we've been quite easily retaining the ball rather than launching it. Unfortunately for those screaming to 'get the baw on the deck', we've also been passing it in the turgid manner of the Johansson side, which gives the opposition all the time in the world to jog back into their defensive shape and keep us at bay.

When faced with that problem, the job of a number 10 - who we have built our entire toothless attack around - is to work effectively in those tight spaces to break the opposition down and still create chances. So if there is anything that needs to be ditched based on ineffective, recent performances, it is in fact 'Gary Oliver'.

And turning in one of his four very good games per season at Palmerston on Saturday would not change that conclusion at all. 

I think the Tele are being a bit er, smart…with the headline itself, but it is pretty remarkable to see a player openly stating to the media the manager isn’t doing his job correctly. I’d assume Oliver knows he’s got enough backing from the squad to put it out there too. They may have all had enough, and I can’t blame them. 

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Unfortunately for those screaming to 'get the baw on the deck', we've also been passing it in the turgid manner of the Johansson side, which gives the opposition all the time in the world to jog back into their defensive shape and keep us at bay.

Incidentally.

Archived