Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (2nd October) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (2nd October)

Admin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ledger needs to come on to shore up that right hand side.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

16 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

That's, again, much better. Brave and positive from back to front. 

And Russell made a big impact in changing that mindset.

I'm not writing McGregor off at all, but this season has to be a 'loan to Annan' campaign for him to learn from both good and bad experiences at that level. Hopefully he'll do well and we'll get a much improved player for the exercise, as we got with Strapp.

We can't afford that raw inexperience in the Championship, why is why Russell not just playing from the start remains a mystery. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

27 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I'm not writing McGregor off at all, but this season has to be a 'loan to Annan' campaign for him to learn from both good and bad experiences at that level. Hopefully he'll do well and we'll get a much improved player for the exercise, as we got with Strapp.

We can't afford that raw inexperience in the Championship, why is why Russell not just playing from the start remains a mystery. 

Absolutely. 

Thought over the course of the game that Gus got his tactics spot on so fair play to him. Was worried that the opening spell was a fluke and we returned to type midway through the half, but  2nd half we managed to keep the ball on the deck from back to front more and created angles for passes that has been non existent this season. Frustrating that strapp has that in his locker but has resorted to humping it up the pitch so often. 

Most impressed with oksanen and Russell when he came on. Mcentee at times strolled it but was sloppy on a few occasions. Knowles was alright for someone with not much game time. Very good at winning the ball back when he lost it but need more from him. 

Thought Reilly was comfortably our worst player. Gave the ball away a lot when he had it and made poor quality runs. 

Only saw it once in the stadium but thought right away that Mcantee left an elbow on the Arbroath player, so even though he won the header cleanly I thought it was a penalty under the current laws of the game when you're not in control of your body in a way that endangers your opponent. Bit Harsh on Mcantee but just one of those things unfortunately, although would need to see it again for a proper judgement. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

36 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I can't understand why Russell isn't getting a run of games. He's improved the team any time he has come on.

Shite result which sees us drop to second bottom. Sounds as if the performance was better but we need to start getting wins.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Probably a fair result in the end. We were pretty poor but Russell made a difference and Oliver had a decent game. No idea what formation is was (a messy 352 maybe) and we always looked like we'll lose goals like we did. 

Not sure if it was a penalty but seemed soft. Although they had a shout for one a couple of minutes before when one of their players was pushed by one of our defenders. 

The most frustrating part was we went from 2-1 up and being on top to sitting in and and panicking with rushed clearances in the last ten minutes so could have seen out the game with better management of it. 

12 minutes ago, gmfc23 said:

Fkn shite result. 

Abysmal results elsewhere as well. If Grant finally gets replaced with a competent manager at Dunfermline then we're royally fucked.

To me that game is just screaming of a relegation campaign. We did really well to turn it around, got a couple of goals which we probably won't manage in a single match again until December, and yet still don't convert the game into three crucial points because of a ridiculous refereeing decision. It's scunnering and most likely a huge turning point in our campaign. 

I think we have the basis of a competitive squad at this level. I just don't see where enough league wins are coming from to survive though. There's no Alloa this season to preserve the bottom spot: this is going to be a brutal dogfight and competitive draws just won't be enough when other teams are trading 3-0 wins with each other. 

The main card that we have left to play for the rest of this season is a change of manager. Hamilton have already played it, Ayr have also played it, Dunfermline will almost certainly play it as well in the near future. If we play it wisely then I think we could be fine but I've no confidence that the current regime will get enough points to stay up. 

If we had kept playing the way we did to get in the lead we could have got a third goal and killed the game, but we sat back. Blame Gus for that. I didn’t realise Russell was on as my laptop died between our goals so missed the change, but what a difference he made. Good finish by Blues.

Seems to me we get no luck apart from bad luck. At least we have at last scored. I expect our next win will be at Palmerston as we seem to do well there. We’re not adrift yet but we really need to start getting some wins. Draws don’t really help much. Surprised to see Dunfermline still not won a game but we really should be aiming to gub them on their own patch in a few weeks.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

While this all sounds like a great improvement n'at, it's still a part-time team with their two best players out. 

Gus needs to get three points on the board sharpish, or we need to get a new man in. 

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

While this all sounds like a great improvement n'at, it's still a part-time team with their two best players out. 

Gus needs to get three points on the board sharpish, or we need to get a new man in. 

The weather, etc might have a part to play too but I think there were only 1180 or something there today and some of that will be down to results and performances.

I know we don't have a huge support but there's nothing to tempt anyone who only goes to the odd game and the expectancy is no goals or good results. We should be able to get a few hundred more to games on a regular basis with a bit of positivity but the run we're on will be costing a couple of grand a week on gate money so the boards hand might be forced if he doesn't start getting wins. 

Didn’t think we were especially bad yesterday, but perhaps that’s only because of how dreadful we’ve been recently. Arbroath’s absences restricted them quite a bit, and we (at stages) did look like we could really turn the screw and put pressure on them. Completely agree with Russell’s impact. I’d be starting him and I wouldn’t be hurrying McLean back into the starting lineup either.  

We were good for about 20 minutes yesterday and that was largely down to Mark Russell.  After that we sat too deep and Arbroath came back at us. The only shock for me was how late their goal came.

20 minutes of being on top at home to a part time team doesn't paper over the cracks.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived