Match Preview/Thread - Ayr United vs Morton (25th September) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Ayr United vs Morton (25th September)

Admin

That was utterly pathetic. Apart from Gozie’s effort that the keeper turned over, I can’t recall a single effort on target.  The midfield watching the ball go over their heads and more often than not any danger of attacking is snuffed out by passing backwards, even on occasion as far back as Jack Hamiton. An even game as both teams were poor. Surely we can play better than that?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

We could still be playing and we wouldn't have scored. That's 4 league games without a goal, and we didn't look remotely like it today. 

3 wins in our 25 league games of 2021. 18 goals in those games. 

Recent form looks bleak, and it matches our long term form. Gus has a tough job, we're not a club in a strong position, but we've shown nothing on the pitch to suggest that he's improved the situation since arriving. 

5 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

We could still be playing and we wouldn't have scored. That's 4 league games without a goal, and we didn't look remotely like it today. 

3 wins in our 25 league games of 2021. 18 goals in those games. 

Recent form looks bleak, and it matches our long term form. Gus has a tough job, we're not a club in a strong position, but we've shown nothing on the pitch to suggest that he's improved the situation since arriving. 

That is why giving him a 2 year deal was crazy.

I see that McPherson was bumping his gums to the Tele before the game about how the backing from the travelling support could help his efforts.

If you want lots of away fans to back your side Gus, how about you stop playing in the most abject and pathetic manner possible. Stop treating low-scoring draws/defeats to utter dung like Ayr as anything other than unacceptable. This is supposed to be entertainment for the punters paying through the nose at the gate every week: yet we haven't even looked like scoring on league duty for weeks. 

The reality is that you are actually responsible for the number of away fans at the game, because you have somehow made the first Morton away matches in nearly two years an utterly tedious chore to watch within weeks. 

Provide something on the pitch that is worth backing or resign. I've got absolutely no time for mewling about 'the fans' contribution', when fucking Arbroath are already ten points above this so-called professional outfit. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

8 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Screenshot_20210925-193532_Brave.jpg

If a single word of this is true, the entire forward line needs to be for training on Monday, 4am sharp. 

Ugwu was quiet. He didn't look fully fit, and blowing out his arse towards the end (there was a moment near the end when Gary Oliver was holding up the ball waiting for Ugwu's run outside of him, which never came as Ugwu looked like he was trying to run up a sand dune - and Oliver understandably berated him for it). Reilly was neat but lacking in any punch. 

The bigger problem, though, was the complete lack of service, build up play, or strategy for how to create a goalscoring chance. We ended up with the back 3 being protected by a deep midfield 4 and Lyon slightly in front generally looking a bit lost trying to push anything forward beyond that. It was all a bit confused and we put a lot of effort into trying to be solid that nothing was left over for creativity.

Allan has created nothing in the last three weeks. He seems technically competent in a way, but there's been nothing else to his game. He isn't beating his man, he isn't playing clever passes, he isn't putting in decent crosses - there's nothing there. McGregor was similar, he's neat enough and worked hard but didn't make any attacking impact. Nothing creative came out of the centre of midfield. 

The front two weren't great but they had no support whatsoever. We gave their defenders a very easy afternoon. We put them under no real pressure. In short, we didn't have a go at them - which is criminal. 

I thought we were crying out for Knowles yesterday to come on and try to get in behind their carthorses at the back.

The football on display is incredibly below par, but how many fucking times did we punt it to the far left for Fjortoft to collect easily every single time??

MCT’s recent update invited questions or concerns we’d like passed on. I’ve asked why we’re not playing to our players strengths, bypassing the midfield that includes recent good quality signings. As it’s neither pleasing to watch or effective in terms of results, why are we adopting these tactics?

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

MCT’s recent update invited questions or concerns we’d like passed on. I’ve asked why we’re not playing to our players strengths, bypassing the midfield that includes recent good quality signings. As it’s neither pleasing to watch or effective in terms of results, why are we adopting these tactics?

I'd be interested to know who's responsible for football decisions at the club - the general manager, the full board or just Gordon Ritchie who seems like he's got a bit more influence. Either way there's not much football experience feeding into it. At least the last couple of CEOs had that (although clearly that's not always an indicator of success). 

So incredibly poor. McLean nearly costing us giving the ball away stupidly very late on, he is going to start costing us a lot more points in this league.

When your bringing on Cammy Blues to just run up and down the park doing his best ghost impression then you know we aren’t taking anything from that game. 

The constant long ball game has got to stop aswell. I hoped we might have seen the last of it when McGinty left but that tactic is still stinking the place out. 

It’s all in all very worrying. I think McEntee will do us a turn though which is good, bit naive jumping in early on in the game but eased into the game as it went on. Ledger needs to come in for McLean 🙏🏻

We should go to a back four with McLean dropping out. Lithgow played well and should be able to form a good partnership with McEntee: add Ledger and Strapp and there's the foundation of a decent team there. Hamilton has not let anyone down so far either.

The big issue is working out how the midfield and attack should look but having one fewer defender just shelling the ball away under pressure should in itself make us less turgid. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Allan has been disappointing so far. Lyon at least looks to be getting back to form. However the midfield won’t work if they are missed out due to the painful long ball every time. Ugwu looked poor but maybe not fully fit. Reilly hasn’t really done much so far. However the real problem is in the dugout.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

21 hours ago, standman said:

I don’t think Salkeld deserved the barracking yesterday.

He has limited ability but doesn’t do anything to warrant what he got yesterday.

Why not just ignore him ?

Where's the fun in that, we have to have something entertaining to do when the football is guff.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Hamilton

Ledger - McEntee - Lithgow - Strapp

Oksanen - Jacobs - Lyon (still unsure)

Allan/Oliver

Reilly - Ugwu 

I believe this is our strongest team. For what it's worth, I think we are better with Oliver in the side. He likes to get on the ball and move it forward, which none of our players were willing to do on Saturday.

The midfield is incredibly slow, I don't think I've ever seen Reece Lyon run?

The lack of Knowles is worrying to me, seemed prolific previously, albeit at a lower level, and seems to have some pace about him - akin to Alex Samuels.

However, is we persist with GusBaw then forget it. Just call it a day.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:14 PM, standman said:

I don’t think Salkeld deserved the barracking yesterday.

He has limited ability but doesn’t do anything to warrant what he got yesterday.

Why not just ignore him ?

I agree.  A pretty innofensive guy tbh.  Pointless berating him.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Archived