Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Raith Rovers (18th September) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Raith Rovers (18th September)

Admin

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the stumbling shambles we witnessed last season we rewarded the manager with a two year deal and allowed him to sign up the very same duds that nearly took us down. If you could see a vision for what we are trying to achieve it would invite patience but the reality is more of the same. So early in the season and you know it is going to be grim.

On a positive from today, Oksanen looks a player. If we could get ourselves playing football then he could be a good asset. 

With McEntree and Lithgow/Mclean, we should really be able to go to a 4 at the back. This shape isn't working

Really poor again. Muirhead and Allan should’ve been hooked about 10 minutes j to second half. gus should be under pressure and rightly so after 4 defeats on the bounce but the decision to offer a 2 year deal will make us persist for much longer then need be. 

Absolutely dog shit.  No need to play 5 at the back. We need width in the team and strapp and hynes just don't bring that to the table. Lithgow was really poor today and the goal summed his performance up. Muirhead really needs to go. Felt sorry for oksanen and Lyon as they spent most of the game showing for the ball as watching it go over their heads. Totally toothless up front too. Gus got his team and the tactics wrong today and needs to hold his hands up and accept that.

4-4-2 next week please. If everyone is fit we have to go for:

Hamilton

Ledger mcentee Lithgow  strapp 

Allan oksanen Lyon Russell 

Reilly Ugwu

Lithgow or McLean could partner mcentee. Also can't see Jacobs not starting if available but that's what I'd like to see. We need more urgency and players taking responsibility all over the pitch. Especially in attack.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

There were plus points in there. Lyon played in a way which made me think it was the first time he had been properly fit this season. Oksanen was much improved and far more involved. We generally dominated the match (although I can't imagine Raith playing that bad again this season). 

The, rather large, downside was the front 3 not being able to do anything with the wealth of opportunities they had to create something. There were also plenty of balls in from the wing backs (left, right mid today??) but not much quality. And the back three dominated what came up to them, but struggled with the little they had to deal with when players for a run at them. 

In a sense it feels very much like those horrible runs of nature defeats under Duffy. We're competitive, but we always look like we're going to lose by the odd goal. 

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Its a shame that with new ownership and hopefully a more modern and forward thinking Morton thay we are going to be stuck with a tactical dinosaur for the foreseeable future. 

Let's not try to pretend that said new regime aren't culpable - for handing him a new contract at all never mind a 2 year one. They aren't stuck with anything, they chose it.

But there's most certainly going to be no accountability for that.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Garbage. Duffy’s Ayr will beat us next week as well. This team feels a bit doomed. 

And then we have Arbroath at Scapa - who don't seem to concede goals. Potential for a real shame game, that one.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Let's not try to pretend that said new regime aren't culpable - for handing him a new contract at all never mind a 2 year one. They aren't stuck with anything, they chose it.

But there's most certainly going to be no accountability for that.

An additional season I could understand, to some extent. Two years is absolutely criminal.

I feel as if Gus and co. wanted 2 years and the new board just shat it.

5 hours ago, so72 said:

Oksanen has been good. Lithgow and Mhirhead have been woeful. The rest fall somewhere in between. We've actually got a decent midfield yet Gus has us missing them out totally.

^^^ this.The number of times I found myself screaming 'switch'.....but aw naw.....pass it along the line culminating in a 50/50 ball in the air.

3 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Thought Reece Lyon had a decent game today and signs Oksanen is getting up to speed.Big transitition for that boy (and Allan) but I see positive stuff.

Dont know what anyone else thought but my impression of McEntee was....'ok ..yer here.......and yer stayin' here!'

I rate the boy.

Mcentee seemed comfortable with the ball on the deck as well as in the air and a bit of pace about him. Also felt he had the technique when striking the ball to actually play long passes rather than the other two just sticking a foot through it and hoping for the best. Was impressed with him today. 

Think him and Lithgow in a back four could be a decent partnership that compliments each other. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

And then we have Arbroath at Scapa - who don't seem to concede goals. Potential for a real shame game, that one.

QUOTE: Film....."Battle of Britain"

Secretary of State /War Department (believe it or not...that was the name given to this Department of State at that time......well..it figures..we were at war after all).

War Department Secretary of State to Air-Vice Marshall Dowding (Commander...RAF Fighter Command).....

"You dont exactly exude a spirit of optimism".   

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I don't see anything to suggest that we're deliberately launching the ball long. 

Oh right.....I assume you didnt witness the 'pass-along-the-line parade' before McLean airs it on a hopefull diagonal.

Actually....noboby mentioning the chances we had...and there were a few!.....just wish Reilly had put his laces through it when he had the chance.

Archived