Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Raith Rovers (18th September) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Raith Rovers (18th September)

Admin

We are not good enough as a team to carry Robbie Muirhead as a luxury player, and he's nowhere near good enough for that role either.

The marginal differences are costing us but that is one entirely within our control to fix right fucking now. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it's recency bias but gusball bores me more than duffyball and even hopkinball. Barely any of these players on the pitch today suit us playing route one but it's still drilled in to them. 

Gozie covers a lot of cracks in how he wants us to play and without him it's a hard hard watch. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

17 minutes ago, so72 said:

Oksanen has been good. Lithgow and Mhirhead have been woeful. The rest fall somewhere in between. We've actually got a decent midfield yet Gus has us missing them out totally.

We really don't have a decent midfield. I don't see anything to suggest that we're deliberately launching the ball long. Our defence is just rattled and our midfield/full backs are not giving them enough short options. McLean could have four players wide open and still launch out the park, but that's not a tactical plan. 

The same issue was there with Blues and I'm beginning to think it's a tactical issue with this two man midfield and one playing behind a striker formation. Unless Oksanen and Jacobs can boss it, that needs to be binned. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Russell needs to replace Strapp as we're not offering enough going forward. Or bin McLean and move Strapp inside. 

9 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

We really don't have a decent midfield. I don't see anything to suggest that we're deliberately launching the ball long. Our defence is just rattled and our midfield/full backs are not giving them enough short options. McLean could have four players wide open and still launch out the park, but that's not a tactical plan. 

The same issue was there with Blues and I'm beginning to think it's a tactical issue with this two man midfield and one playing behind a striker formation. Unless Oksanen and Jacobs can boss it, that needs to be binned. 

For me the option for the centre backs in this formation should be the wingbacks as there is usually one open and it allows them to pass inside to the midfielders, but the centre backs rarely go to the wing back and even then the wingbacks launch it up the wing. The fact Hamilton never even considers passing the ball to a man in space even when completely free leads to me thinking its all tactical instruction from Gus. 

We have been a bit better at doing the above in the second half so far though tbh. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

So long as the wing-backs are Hynes who now looks low on confidence going forward and Strapp who isn't much better at the moment, you won't get those easy passes out though.

The best way to control the game is in the centre of the park but we're constantly expecting two players to do all the work so that the fearsome attacking combination of, err, Robbie Muirhead and the gang can get to work. Neymar, Messi, Mbappe and Di Maria it is not. 

80 minutes too late to take that charlatan off. At least sixteen months too late to huckle him out the door to play for Airdrie instead. 

Big floated cross balls over to Christophe Berra somehow proving ineffective. 

Raith were shite and there for the taking today but gus played right in to their hands and refused to change it until it was last gasp fling everyone forward. Its a shame that with new ownership and hopefully a more modern and forward thinking Morton thay we are going to be stuck with a tactical dinosaur for the foreseeable future. 

He got a pass having us play that way when we barely had a squad but he got the players in he wanted and reilly, oksanen, Allan and even mcantee would much rather have the ball at their feet than chasing lost causes and second balls. I fully expect him to come out making excuses and lowering expectations as usual to cover for his own failings. 

32.gif

Losing patience with Gus now. I wasn't happy when he got another chance and he has done nothing since to change my opinion. He simply does not have any answers and his lack of ability becomes more obvious as each week passes.

Continuing to play oxygen thieves like Muirhead in the vain hope that he still has something to offer is a disgrace.

Archived