Match Preview/Thread - Kilmarnock vs Morton (11th September) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Kilmarnock vs Morton (11th September)

Admin

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

I actually feel a bit for Muirhead. He's a player who can link up play and has decent feet at times but is effectively being played as a winger in a five man midfield. He doesn't have the physical attribute (or others) to player there and was clearly knackered at the end of the game. There were a few times when he was closer to Rielly that he linked up well and you can see he's got a bit of ability but unless he's playing upfront then he should be nowhere near the team. 

No wonder the Supporters' Trust failed with this gubbins level of analysis. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Few things to take from today's game. Robbie Muirhead is a waste of a Jersey no idea why he gets a start totally useless. Brian McLean can't hit a simple 2 yard pass instead he launches it 100% of the time straight to the opposition. Gus made changes far to late we were blowing out our arse towards the end and he should have made them a lot sooner, also killie were pretty woeful and so are there pies. 

We competed well against a very ordinary looking Kilmarnock side, which is progress on our last league outing, but the above post summarises the areas where improvement is still needed. McLean's distribution puts the team under far too much pressure as we are left constantly having to defend without the ball. I'd like to see McEntee brought in as soon as he's ready. 

I'm also not convinced that this two man central midfield with Oliver playing higher up works. Even when McLean isn't just launching the ball aimlessly we don't look capable of playing through the midfield. I'd have an extra central midfielder in a three and have Oliver or someone else playing on the right of a 4-3-3/4-5-1, at least for the tougher games. We seem to be building our attacking plan around Oliver though and I'm not convinced he has the consistency to reward that effort. On the other hand, Reilly was impressive given the limited service and if he stays fit then he'll be both a handful and a goal threat. 

The next three league games are going to define our season. I'm concerned that we're still going to be gently pushing aside our current starters rather than making best use of our squad. The lack of subs - particularly when the Finn and Strapp were both on yellow cards - was piss-poor game management as well. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Oksanen and Allan both looked like they could have something about them, Oksanen more than Allan with some very neat touches and good passes. They were really off the pace though, Oksanen in particular as cheaply losing possession in the build up to his yellow card showed. We just have to hope that's a thing that's going to sort itself out with games as they get sharper, because we're gubbed if these signings don't work out.

It's a big concern that even with those new signings added to the squad, it only takes two starters being out in Jacobs and Ugwu for Muirhead to be in the starting XI. There's no justification barring a major injury crisis for him to get on the park at this point: he had his chance at the start of the season when we were down to the bare bones and shown he isn't close to being up to it against Championship opposition. Whether as a winger or centre forward he's now the sixth choice at best in either position.

Also a concern that sometimes when the team were holding a shape Blues (another player who got a chance due to a tiny squad and has failed to justify continuing to start) was sitting in behind a bank of four as if he was the proper holding player and Oksanen ahead of him, exactly as has happened with Jacobs already this season. If he's going to persist with Blues as a holding midfielder, continue trying to turn Jacobs into a box to box midfielder which he clearly isn't and possibly also carry on with Oliver in a deeper role which he clearly isn't up to defensively, then we are going to be overrun in the middle of the park more often than not.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived