Match Preview/Thread - Kilmarnock vs Morton (11th September) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Kilmarnock vs Morton (11th September)

Admin

Inverclyde BBK Graphic.png

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with The Inverclyde Boiler Company, The Inverclyde Bathroom Company and The Inverclyde Kitchen Company. Shayne and his team are extremely proud to serve the Inverclyde community 💙

2bf7ae24-ee99-4508-a9c9-4461f7671376.thumb.jpg.cb3c938b0841b7a9f2738d3a2409f478.jpg

Our match thread is brought to you in association with Titan Spirits, a local company inspired by Clydeside heritage and Inverclyde's incredible scenery. Their new Titan Spiced Rum is available now! Click here to order Titan Spiced Rum!

Resized GIF.gif

unnamed.png

Our match thread is brought to you in association with the new Clyde Eats app and The Cottage Cafe Bistro. Clyde Eats is a new, Inverclyde-based food delivery app aiming to showcase the very best local restaurants and takeaways. Their app launches on 1st September, make sure you check it out! 

Pretty impossible to work out how we'll line up tomorrow. Will all 4 of the new boys come right into the team? Given McEntee has only been with us for 2 days, is he more likely to start on the bench?

Was reading that Jacobs and Ugwu are both doubtful. 2 weeks ago that would have been a disaster but we at least have some options to come into the team now.

If everyone is fit then I'd like to see this sort of lineup and squad:

Hamilton

Ledger.   Lithgow.  Mcentee.  Strapp 

Blues.  Jacobs. Oksanen 

Allan. 

Ugwu.   Reilly.

Subs: Wylie, McLean, Lyon, Russell, McGregor, Oliver, Knowles.

That could also goto 352 with strapp and Allan as wingbacks or a flat 442 with Allan and Russell on each side. I could go on. First time in a long time we have what looks like viable options in personnel and formation.

Just now, Mr.Blue said:

If everyone is fit then I'd like to see this sort of lineup and squad:

Hamilton

Ledger.   Lithgow.  Mcentee.  Strapp 

Blues.  Jacobs. Oksanen 

Allan. 

Ugwu.   Reilly.

Subs: Wylie, McLean, Lyon, Russell, McGregor, Oliver, Knowles.

This leaves the likes of hynes, Garrity, King, muirhead not even in the squad. I'm sure I've missed others. I always do!

That could also goto 352 with strapp and Allan as wingbacks or a flat 442 with Allan and Russell on each side. I could go on. First time in a long time we have what looks like viable options in personnel and formation.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Don't mind Muirhead. He's the second choice targetman so figured we'd see him in if Gozie was out. 

Don't expect much from him but hopefully he can do the basics and bring others in to play. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Not a bad half for us. Defending pretty well and had a couple of opportunities on the break. 

Oksanen looks tidy and his set pieces are night and day compared to what we've had this season. 

Allan looked a little bit lost to me. Couple of good moments and a few poor ones but it's still early. 

Reilly looks decent and could be a good foil for Gozie as well. 

Main downside for me is our central defenders booting the ball up the park aimlessly every time they get it, regardless if there's anyone around them. Have to wonder if its a tactic from gus to do that but the ball is coming straight back at us and not letting our midfielders get on the ball much. Allan in particular was getting more and more frustrated every time the ball was hoofed up to no one. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

3 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Not a bad half for us. Defending pretty well and had a couple of opportunities on the break. 

Oksanen looks tidy and his set pieces are night and day compared to what we've had this season. 

Allan looked a little bit lost to me. Couple of good moments and a few poor ones but it's still early. 

Reilly looks decent and could be a good foil for Gozie as well. 

Main downside for me is our central defenders booting the ball up the park aimlessly every time they get it, regardless if there's anyone around them. Have to wonder if its a tactic from gus to do that but the ball is coming straight back at us and not letting our midfielders get on the ball much. Allan in particular was getting more and more frustrated every time the ball was hoofed up to no one. 

Thought Oksanen looked like a man down and the game bypassed him. Never really gives an option to the defence. 

Strapp's asleep there, twice this season he's switched off at that back post. Ledger and Oliver need to do better as well.

Just the two five yard attempts to control the ball from Blues setting up that attack in the first place.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

There's nothing wrong with an approach of trying to shitfest clean sheets and hit on the break, but it's only going to work if you're defensively competent.

We did succeed in dragging Kilmarnock down to our level, turning the game into a scrap for large spells and creating chances on the counter attack, but if you concede cheap goals from crosses every week that gameplan isn't going to return many points. It was obviously considerably better than Firhill, but our defensive organisation needs to improve drastically if we're going to turn this around.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Just noticed the Hamilton result. Our two decent results this season have been Dunfermline and Hamilton which in hindsight don't seem as impressive. Even in those matches the first half vs Dunfermline is the only time time we were on top in either game. 

Gus got a bit of leeway because of those results, us having to play youngsters and covid issues but he's going to need to start picking up more results soon. The style of football we are playing is getting worse as the season goes on and he can't use the excuse about his squad anymore as he's got the players in that squad now to utilise the midfield more. 

All four of our defenders today are capable championship players but their decision making on the ball to recycle posession and get us up the pitch has been shocking and without Gozie today it really showed without him there to bail them out by making the most of nothing balls in his direction. 

32.gif

Oksanen has a really neat left foot. He put in some decent set pieces and a couple of nice through balls. But he was painfully (really painfully) off the pace and weak on the ball. He might be great for us if he can get to grips with the physicality and pace of the game, if he doesn't then he'll be as good as being a man down. Allan really struggled. Some suggestions that there might be quality in there, but a long way off it today. Reilly has a bit of quality about him, it would be good to see how he would get on if we could really get him into the game. 

I thought Ledger had a really poor game, and Strapp was similar. Both made mistakes at the back and offered next to nothing in terms of building it from the back or as an attacking threat. 

I think the best thing that could be said of the team today is that they worked hard and kept it competitive. It wasn't good though. Hamilton was solid in goals, the rest...meh...

41 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Gus got a bit of leeway because of those results, us having to play youngsters and covid issues but he's going to need to start picking up more results soon. The style of football we are playing is getting worse as the season goes on and he can't use the excuse about his squad anymore as he's got the players in that squad now to utilise the midfield more.

Four points from two games was a good start to the season, but we’ve since stalled and now sit on four points after fives games, which isn’t ideal. We really could do with a win next week, and so could Gus.

I actually feel a bit for Muirhead. He's a player who can link up play and has decent feet at times but is effectively being played as a winger in a five man midfield. He doesn't have the physical attribute (or others) to player there and was clearly knackered at the end of the game. There were a few times when he was closer to Rielly that he linked up well and you can see he's got a bit of ability but unless he's playing upfront then he should be nowhere near the team. 

Gus persevering with him and being late with subs cost us today.

Oksanen could have been off at half time too - was really off the pace. Came into it a bit more second half and had a couple of nice touches but the game generally passed him by. 

Archived