Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (Championship 28th August) - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (Championship 28th August)

Admin

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, irnbru said:

Agree there needs to be something.

But the guy on twitter had family involved in the club/MCT so they should 100% make sure that he never worms his way in to either. 

I'm not condoning what 'the guy on Twitter' posted, but the idea that the club and MCT should be setting a permanent bar on them from ever being involved with the club because of it is absolute nonsense. Never mind on the specious basis of having 'family involved in the club' so let's get the proscription lists started.

As and when a position comes up for selection, MCT members can assess the strengths and weaknesses of each candidate and make their own verdict at that time. I doubt the current officeholders were perfect angels in the past; they're not expected to be either. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Bit weird of us to take the knee when I don't believe we have done so this season? I'm not for taking the knee - an empty gesture really - but I'm not going to boo it. End of the day, I don't think people are booing it to be "racist". 

However, the glorifying of Lithgow's past is entirely different. Not something anyone would want to hear, including the man himself. It's expected from the opposition but not by our own. The reason that dimwit gave was also up there with Old Firm level of excuses. 

The club aren't going to release a statement about it unless it became a bigger deal or presence amongst the fanbase. We've had plenty of scum play for us in the past 20 years. 

3 hours ago, BishopBrennan said:

I don't think banning fans who were singing these songs is a road to go down (at this stage at least), a public statement from the club would have been an appropriate and measured response. Instead we've had nothing, which is both concerning and infruriating. 

They can't exactly ban people for singing the praises of a sex offender when they are the very people who sanctioned the hiring of that same person.  They've put themselves in this appalling situation.  Supporter-run club my arse.  When did any Morton fan get asked if they want our club associated with such a vile beast?

*insert signature here*

15 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Bit weird of us to take the knee when I don't believe we have done so this season? I'm not for taking the knee - an empty gesture really - but I'm not going to boo it. End of the day, I don't think people are booing it to be "racist". 

However, the glorifying of Lithgow's past is entirely different. Not something anyone would want to hear, including the man himself. It's expected from the opposition but not by our own. The reason that dimwit gave was also up there with Old Firm level of excuses. 

The club aren't going to release a statement about it unless it became a bigger deal or presence amongst the fanbase. We've had plenty of scum play for us in the past 20 years. 

What other sex offenders have played for us?

*insert signature here*

40 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

I'm not for taking the knee - an empty gesture really - but I'm not going to boo it. End of the day, I don't think people are booing it to be "racist". 

I'm not wanting to open up another debate but I don't see how booing players taking the knee is anything but racist. Not supporting it for a valid reason is absolutely fine, but booing it? That's only comes off one way

1 hour ago, ChampTon said:

We've taken the knee every match I've seen this season. 

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

What other sex offenders have played for us?

None that I know of but we've had drug dealers and players who have had serious assault cases. May not be of similar level of a sex offender but it's a serious crime nevertheless.

One of them currently plays in the Premier League with Dundee.

47 minutes ago, Ton in Shawlands said:

To me it's getting close to how give racism the red card got, a bit cringeworthy at times, with most going through the motions to get it over with. Having said that I'd say actively booing any anti racism action is (whether you mean it or not) reinforcing racists who will assume you're on their side.

The problem is it cant end now because people are booing it. If the clubs stopped doing it then it looks like the racists have won. The moment to stop it on good terms and do something useful has passed now.

I don't understand who anyone can actively boo anti-racist action who isn't racist. Its not shouting the n-word - something which I heard at tannadice when Wato Kuate scored vs us (from, thankfully, 2 guys I've never seen since) -  but it just feels yuk.

I'm not saying the guys are actively out with the edl but probably the sort that share racist 'jokes' into the whatsapp and tell anyone who moans that it's just a joke. 

6 hours ago, ChampTon said:

None that I know of but we've had drug dealers and players who have had serious assault cases. May not be of similar level of a sex offender but it's a serious crime nevertheless.

One of them currently plays in the Premier League with Dundee.

There are no shortage of headbangers throughout Scottish football, whether they're guilty of 'daft boy' antics or more serious stuff including drug related offences.  Whilst I'm not a fan of drug pushers either, they aren't sex offenders.

*insert signature here*

If they want to create a positive atmosphere supporting the team then a handful of people signing a daft song should be the least of their worries about Saturday's game. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It strikes me watching the highlights that Brian McLean just wasn't at the races on Saturday. I mean, there was defensive disorganisation all round but if he had a weakness in his much improved season last year it was his failure to mark players in the box properly and that was there again in abundance. Watching the highlights there, he pretty much may as well not have been there any time the ball was played into the box. Perhaps he won everything else he had to in the match, I didn't see it, but that's far too much to be giving away in the box. From not jumping to not getting close, and just plain being too slow to react, he didn't look like he was ready to play. 

Archived