Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (Championship 28th August) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (Championship 28th August)

Admin

1 minute ago, TRVMP said:

Cheers. This really doesn't sound too ominous to me. Yeah, there's things going on behind the scenes, things being put in place. Probably not the best position to be in as a manager, a takeover looming, but it's something of a known quantity, and it's not like the last three seasons were a model of stability. So yeah, struggling to understand how this is some big conspiracy stopping him from signing anyone. Certainly that's not what it sounds like here.

I'm not buying it either. Plenty have already pointed out that Gus has re-signed players that proved beyond any reasonable doubt that they couldn't cut it in this division. Added to this he seems blind to the basics about where games are won and lost. One league win in 12 sums up his positive contribution.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hamilton was someone he had to gamble on a bit, but I think we can all agree that one’s paid off so far. McGinn and probably Lithgow are success stories too, but the jury’s still very much out on Russell, Ugwu & Knowles. He was given the benefit of the doubt for the extensions, I’m struggling to see many that merited it.    

24 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

So, PortTON talking shite then. He clearly says in that interview 2 or 3 pieces to be added. As he has done from the start. 

I'll let you work out what 3+ Knowles is. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Why's that? The majority of his signings this season have improved the squad? 

He has said for weeks we need four players and we've only brought in one. I'd be looking upstairs for that reason and not at his door. 

He gave Robbie Muirhead a new contract. He gave Cameron Blues a new contract. Neither of which fit into his 'quality instead of quantity' soundbite, and explain why we're still looking for three or four players to not get relegated at the end of fucking August. 

The set-piece failings are entirely within a coach's remit and are the main reason why I'm concerned. They are not easy to solve but can also be a twenty goal gift between attack and defence over a full campaign. It's criminal. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

37 minutes ago, irnbru said:

But MCT have to take the blame for his contract - there were very few signs last season he could get the most from a limited squad. 

To hand the caretaker a one year deal was unwise but all too predictable after our play-off win. To give him a two year deal was inexplicable.

Winning that play-off created a poisoned chalice to begin with this season but MCT and McPherson have compounded it with unforced errors. Today's performance is largely on the manager though and by extension the players. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, TaunTon said:

I'm not buying it either. Plenty have already pointed out that Gus has re-signed players that proved beyond any reasonable doubt that they couldn't cut it in this division. Added to this he seems blind to the basics about where games are won and lost. One league win in 12 sums up his positive contribution.

2 in 12, Queens and Hamilton but aye, point remains. 

We were miles off it today and made Partick look like world beaters. No fight or energy and the midfield was no existent. We can complain about needing more bodies in the door which we desperately need but when the 11 on the pitch don't put in any effort you are losing an uphill battle. 

1 hour ago, RossMcC1874 said:

We were miles off it today and made Partick look like world beaters. No fight or energy and the midfield was no existent. We can complain about needing more bodies in the door which we desperately need but when the 11 on the pitch don't put in any effort you are losing an uphill battle. 

Don't agree it's a lack of effort, more a lack of quality.

This type of result should hardly come as a surprise to anyone who watched Morton last season. We rewarded repeated failure with new contracts and then fail/choose not to sign new players to fill the gaping holes in the squad. Arguably the delayed takeover has had an impact but surely the man empowered to use the budget to build a squad is where the majority of the blame lies. No problem though as we are being patient awaiting quality signings.

Most worrying for me was how tired the players looked. Blues was the only midfielder who was trying to get about. Lyon tried when he came on. McGregor has played all over the park already and needs to be rested. Jacobs was hobbling about and Gary Oliver was beyond abysmal for the first hour. The fact the manager thinks midfield is fine - when it is imo our worst position along with RWB - is baffling.

Need another 3 players straight into the team imo, cb/rb/cm along with reilly.

3 hours ago, Madton said:

Don't agree it's a lack of effort, more a lack of quality.

There was a lack of effort in pressing from the forward area. Perhaps you're willing to give Ugwu a pass for fitness issues. Oliver was just at the same level of gutlessness that made us glad to be rid of him in the first place. 

3 hours ago, so72 said:

Most worrying for me was how tired the players looked. Blues was the only midfielder who was trying to get about. 

Trying... how exactly? We spent the first half with the ball at either centre back with that shan 'quarterback' content to just knock it immediately back to where it came from.

Alan Jenkins is not exactly spinning in his yet to be dug grave at this all-action performance. It was beyond pathetic. 

2 hours ago, irnbru said:

That song and justification of it is more embarrassing than the result. 

It really isn't though. 

15 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

It really isn't though. 

Singing about a man playing with himself in front of a woman and a baby as if it's a joke and then trying to justify it? It really is. 

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on Lithgow being rehabilitated or the debate about him signing in the first place, it's a disgraceful thing to sing. 

1 minute ago, irnbru said:

Singing about a man playing with himself in front of a woman and a baby as if it's a joke and then trying to justify it? It really is. 

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on Lithgow being rehabilitated or the debate about him signing in the first place, it's a disgraceful thing to sing. 

I find the team being wiped the floor with by a poisonous little outfit who were in the seaside leagues last season considerably more embarrassing than what a minority of other Morton fans choose to sing at a game and/or post on Twitter. 

If you're more interested in pearl-clutching on Twitter after yesterday's shambolic and alarming display then you're part of the problem at this club as well. I'm sure we'll cherish that sense of self-righteousness when we're getting cuffed by Auchinleck and Linlithgow in a few years' time.  

Archived